(old) ZMV to AVI video conversion [[archive me]]

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Welcome to page 8.

To record a video you need one of the latest work in progress builds of ZSNES. Get them here: http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/

You will need a copy of mencoder. For Windows users, I recommend getting mencoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
Place mencoder.exe in the same location as zsnesw.exe, you do not need any codecs or other movie programs installed.
Linux users, having mencoder in your path is fine.

If you want to compress the outputted audio, or compress it before it goes into the video as opposed to during, you will need a copy of LAME.
If you use Windows, you must get LAME from here: http://geocities.com/joecool22us/lame.zip
Any other copy of LAME for Windows will not work due to a bug in LAME.

Before you are able to dump an AVI, you must have recorded a movie first, it converts movies, it does not just dump video on the fly.

To play back movies, you'll either need the proper codecs or a video player with built in decoding of the video mode you selected.
I recommend getting mplayer which decodes anything created with mencoder. For Windows, you can get mplayer here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php You can download the GUI version.

Advanced users can edit zmovie.cfg and tweak the settings if they want, and even use something other than mencoder and LAME as long as it supports encoding via stdin and you set it up properly.

________
Remember, mencoder from the site I linked offers bleeding edge x264 encoding (builds are generally never more than 3 weeks old). Most H.264 decoders aren't up to date.

MPlayer, MEncoder, and VLC though use up to date copies of FFMPEG and can decode new stuff too.
Last edited by Nach on Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Aekeron »

http://ffdshow.faireal.org/#ffdshow

Installed and it plays perectly in MPC.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

so you also experienced problems with mpc and these video dumps?

ffdshow screwed up m43 encoded movies on my pc... so i dont use it. (m43 i think is mp4)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Aekeron
Rookie

Post by Aekeron »

I don't normally use it (I use VLC for all my video playback) but I thought I'd give it a try given the problems that you've had.

No doubt it is as Nach has said - your installed codecs (which MPC uses and VLC doesn't) aren't up to date enough to play the files correctly.

If you're *really* opposed to using updated ffdshow stuff, maybe you could try an older version of mencoder? I wouldn't really expect everyone else to follow suit though ;p And I suspect Nach will still recommend the latest mencoder (as would I).
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

i may stick to vlc (for h264 and x264 files)... as it fixes desyncing in the avi files. (some stuff was being skipped thus causing the video to go haywire but vlc plays it fine)

ffdshow replaced my m43 codec with a screwed one so most programs displayed it incorrectly... k-lite mega pack doesnt have this issue so i use it instead.

- thanks nach, aerkeron and grinvader... for all your help on this issue.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
KingHanco
Hazed

Thanks

Post by KingHanco »

I download the zsnesw-mov.zip and replace the old one with this.

Back to normal on the "dump movie" and fixs. :wink:

Btw: I forgotting to download the mplayer with the font. I download the mplayer-p4-cvs-20060306.zip and fixs the font reading problem.
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

VLC is the only player that plays these back for me.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

thats correct herzog... must be a slightly newer format of the h264 codec encoder... meaning newer decoder required to watch them.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

h264, x264, etc. play fine in ZoomPlayer too. Love it. BSPlayer to a degree, but I've had troubles getting subtitles to work.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

when buziol games get there videos back online... you can see that they dont play correct in vlc... yet they play fine in mpc with k-lite mega codec pack.

buziol games videos are recorded in m43 format.
eyebrowsoffire
Rookie

Post by eyebrowsoffire »

I'm getting a "Broken Pipe" error when trying to dump video. Anyone else?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

broken pipe! what the hell is that... never ever heard of such an error message.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa_9 wrote:broken pipe! what the hell is that... never ever heard of such an error message.
This is a error message found on a Linux system (he's referring to ZSNES's SDL port).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

oh... thanks... goes to show i never used linux.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

eyebrowsoffire wrote:I'm getting a "Broken Pipe" error when trying to dump video. Anyone else?
Latest CVS?

You have mencoder? LAME?
Which options did you check?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by eyebrowsoffire »

Nach wrote:
eyebrowsoffire wrote:I'm getting a "Broken Pipe" error when trying to dump video. Anyone else?
Latest CVS?

You have mencoder? LAME?
Which options did you check?
Hmmm....CVS... I have the latest mencoder rpm package for Fedora Core 4. I guess I'll go install CVS. Thanks.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

just had to say this... latest version of media player classic has solved all issues ive experienced in playing movies. (it now plays movies made by zsnes)
KingHanco
Hazed

Here is another mplayer website.

Post by KingHanco »

"Zsnes is the best one there is." :)
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Don't know what happened to ipher, we could use an update here.

http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/zsnesw-mov.zip

I made it easier to figure out the audio options.
I also made the default compress AVIs better (delete zmovie.cfg to get defaults).

Let me know how it is.

Re:

Post by KingHanco »

Thanks for this wip release.

Nach, can you tell me why the sounds are low on ZSNES and high on the AVI? I had to turn down my WinAmp alittle which it is turn all the way up. ZSNES is max at 100%. Just wondering.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

thanks... makes it a ton more obviouse and easier to manage.
Hyos
Regular

Re:

Post by Hyos »

KingHanco wrote:Thanks for this wip release.

Nach, can you tell me why the sounds are low on ZSNES and high on the AVI? I had to turn down my WinAmp alittle which it is turn all the way up. ZSNES is max at 100%. Just wondering.
Check your advanced volume controls in windows.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re:

Post by Nach »

Don't know about volume issues, however ZSNESW and ZSNES SDL do not output thier sound correctly. WAV writing does have proper output.
franpa_9 wrote:thanks... makes it a ton more obviouse and easier to manage.
No problem, I was hoping that'd be the case.

Anyone notice an improvement on file sizes when using XviD or x264 with new defaults?

Re:

Post by KingHanco »

Hyos wrote:

Check your advanced volume controls in windows.
I have those max out long time ago. No need to check.

Nach wrote:Don't know about volume issues, however ZSNESW and ZSNES SDL do not output thier sound correctly. WAV writing does have proper output.
Ok.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Anyone see how much smaller AVIs are with the new zmovie.cfg defaults now?

BTW, I notice that if you download ffdshow, and in it's decoder options, you set H264 decoding to ffdshow, Windows Media Player, Virtual Dub, and other VFW codec using programs will decode x264 encoded movies properly.