(old) ZMV to AVI video conversion [[archive me]]

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

nach wrote:Welcome to page 12.

To record a video you need one of the latest work in progress builds of ZSNES. Get them here: http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com/

You will need a copy of mencoder. For Windows users, I recommend getting mencoder here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php
Place mencoder.exe in the same location as zsnesw.exe, you do not need any codecs or other movie programs installed.
Linux users, having mencoder in your path is fine.

If you want to compress the outputted audio, or compress it before it goes into the video as opposed to during, you will need a copy of LAME.
If you use Windows, you must get LAME from here: http://geocities.com/joecool22us/lame.zip
Any other copy of LAME for Windows will not work due to a bug in LAME.

Before you are able to dump an AVI, you must have recorded a movie first, it converts movies, it does not just dump video on the fly.

To play back movies, you'll either need the proper codecs or a video player with built in decoding of the video mode you selected.
I recommend getting mplayer which decodes anything created with mencoder. For Windows, you can get mplayer here: http://oss.netfarm.it/mplayer-win32.php You can download the GUI version.

Advanced users can edit zmovie.cfg and tweak the settings if they want, and even use something other than mencoder and LAME as long as it supports encoding via stdin and you set it up properly.
________

thanks... forgot all about up-x.

edit: may aswell post all that stuff nach puts at the start of each page here
Last edited by franpa on Sun May 07, 2006 9:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Welcome to Page 12.

</Nach>
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Ichinisan »

I propose changing the thread title to:
ZMV to AVI (video) conversion!!!
Notiz Me

Post by Notiz Me »

All right, I managed to make this little movie of Chrono Trigger:

http: //users.skynet.be/KDP/Pieter/CT_test.rar (EDIT: movie deleted out of space shortage)

But, it sometimes seems to stutter, can anyone help me how to clear that ?

And how can you dump the movie in higher resolution? (since I'm quitte scared of messing up the cfg-file)
Last edited by Notiz Me on Fri Jun 16, 2006 8:01 am, edited 4 times in total.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Notiz Me wrote:And how can you dump the movie in higher resolution? (since I'm quitte scared of messing up the cfg-file)
You can't, afaik. Use tools like VirtualDub to edit the AVI.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Notiz Me

Post by Notiz Me »

So how about the stuttering ?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Use some of the earlier WIPs perhaps? It is supposedly fixed in SVN.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Notiz Me

Post by Notiz Me »

Deathlike2 wrote:Use some of the earlier WIPs perhaps? It is supposedly fixed in SVN.
I used the one posted by Nach, on page 8, I thought that was the latest ...
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Notiz Me wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Use some of the earlier WIPs perhaps? It is supposedly fixed in SVN.
I used the one posted by Nach, on page 8, I thought that was the latest ...
The latest WIPs are here.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

All the movie dumping is now in the main tree, so get it from ipher's WIPs, or zget.

BTW if you want to dump with larger video output, mencoder supports scaling, and even 2xsai, but I forget the parameters at the moment, but they're in the mencoder manual.

I could look it up later and tell you how to edit the movie config file appropriately.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Notiz Me »

So I can't just use the resolution I'm playing in, I thought mencoder was downscaling now and that I maybe somehow could prevent it from downscaling ...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

The movies are passed to mencoder in SNES resolution. There is no downscaling. But you can have mencoder upscale the video.

Post by Notiz Me »

alright, I tried it, but mencoder just closed right away, and nothing was recorded. My idea was to try and add

-vf scale=w=1024:h=896,2xsai

in the md_other variable in zmovie.cfg

I hoped it would than scale up four times and filter it with 2xsai, but instead it did nothing 8)

So where should I insert these paramaters into the cfg-file
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I don't know why you picked that. That doesn't make sense.

You want to add "-vf 2xsai,2xsai,scale=1024:896" to md_other.
That'll use 2xsai on the video to make it 512x448, then 2xsai again to make it 1024x896, and the scale option will make it have the correct aspect ratio.

BTW I noticed the latest mplayer/mencoder recently released has it's 2xsai option broken, it seems to double the picture again. So if you're using the latest official release, just drop the 2xsai parts, and only use scale.

Edit:
I played with these large videos BTW, and it seems an x264'd video of this size is bringing my system to a crawl. So I don't recommend going for a 4x video unless you are running on some sort of powerhouse and don't care.

Edit:
Here's a short huge video I made: http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/4xvid.rar
Let me know if it plays back nicely for you. Because it seems to crush my machine.

Post by eyebrowsoffire »

Nach wrote:Edit:
Here's a short huge video I made: http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/4xvid.rar
Let me know if it plays back nicely for you. Because it seems to crush my machine.
Certainly doesn't crush my machine, but the audio is ridiculously off sync (probably a full second).
Notiz Me

Post by Notiz Me »

This is cool.

I was able to play your movie without a problem :P

And what's even more, the 2xSai worked and all. So I can now make high quality movie's from SNES games 8)

A really big thanks.
-_pentium5.1_-
Lurker

Post by -_pentium5.1_- »

Question: What exactly is the LAME bug that was mentioned in the very first post? Is the symptom audio that sounds like static? If so, I'm not really sure that it's a LAME bug, since dumping uncompressed audio seems to produce invalid WAV files (WMP complains about a missing "Microsoft PCM Format (1)" codec when trying to play them, but my googling suggests that that is just standard WAV).

I will post a formal bug report on this when I get a chance. To be certain about this, I still need to try using the LAME version that was suggested in the thread.
This signature intentionally contains no text other than this sentence.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Thanks for your incorrect evaluation.

Uncompressed audio doesn't use LAME. If you have bugs with it, it's your system.
The LAME bug is an invalid seek in the code which makes it not record the audio properly. If you're not going to use my LAME, don't use LAME at all.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

This just in. You now have even more power encoding a video via the command line.

Also fixed some bugs with raw video option.

Post by RealmRPGer »

ooo, where do I get it?

Ah. I didn't see the SVN post before. >.o
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

Awesome features.

Does anyone know a free windows program (with a GUI...) for editing of videos, or something that will let you merge an .mp3 file into the videos? I thought you could do this with VirtualDub, but it only lets you use WAV files (unless I'm wrong and there's some obscure feature I missed). I don't really feel like converting my mp3 song to a wav file and then reencoding to mp3, won't that lower the sound quality?
kieran_
Mugwump

Post by kieran_ »

FistOfFury wrote:Awesome features.

Does anyone know a free windows program (with a GUI...) for editing of videos, or something that will let you merge an .mp3 file into the videos? I thought you could do this with VirtualDub, but it only lets you use WAV files (unless I'm wrong and there's some obscure feature I missed). I don't really feel like converting my mp3 song to a wav file and then reencoding to mp3, won't that lower the sound quality?
I use Virtualdubmod and mp3 works fine. Just go into the "Stream List" menu and Bob is your uncle.

I dumped a video in the FFV1 format last night and the thing was bloody huge!

Is there any difference in quality between that codec, xvid or x264? They are using lossless settings, right?
FistOfFury
Hazed

Post by FistOfFury »

Thanks I'll check VDMod out.

Another thing, I think I remember reading in this topic that the newer zsnes versions can play .ZMV files from older versions of zsnes? Is there 100% compatibility? Because I've downloaded ipher's latest version of zsnesw (5/27) and it doesn't play my 1.36 movies correctly. edit: Wait...I think one of the movies is going out of sync even in 1.36...I'm not really sure because it's a really old movie and can't remember all of the action, but it looks wierd...
85cocoa
Hazed

Post by 85cocoa »

***I am the same person as -_pentium5.1_-***
Nach wrote:Thanks for your incorrect evaluation.

Uncompressed audio doesn't use LAME. If you have bugs with it, it's your system.
The LAME bug is an invalid seek in the code which makes it not record the audio properly. If you're not going to use my LAME, don't use LAME at all.
What?!? I really meant to make clear that I knew uncompressed audio doesn't use LAME. My complaint about broken WAV dumping was a separate bug. My point was that I suspected that ZSNES is outputting an invalid PCM stream* that your version of LAME just happens to process correctly. As I stated, I will investigate this ASAP and post a formal bug report when I get a chance. (*Static normally suggests an endianness problem, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't exist here.) Please be nice and wait for the bug report before complaining. This is part of the reason I have trouble writing sufficiently cogent posts.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky]Pocky[/url] & [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocky]Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pocky_%26_Rocky]Pocky & Rocky[/url]? [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonic_the_Hedgehog_%28series%29#Animals.2FMobians]Pocky & Rocky[/url]?