ZSNES won't load certain games, only their save states

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Reckless

ZSNES won't load certain games, only their save states

Post by Reckless »

I am so frustrated right now.

I hadn't played anything on ZSNES for ages, and a few days ago I decided to boot Harvest Moon up. I waited and waited, but saw no title screen, only a black screen. On a whim, I attempted to load the save state and whadda know, it worked. But I wanted to start the game over (and couldn't) so I decided to download 1.4.2 (or whatever the version released this January is) and a new ROM.

After accidentally running into a German ROM (THAT was interesting), I got a new Harvest Moon ROM. And it loaded fine and played fine. I also got Star Ocean and DeJap's translation. Aside from already known bugs, Star Ocean also worked fine.

However, sometime yesterday the problem reappeared, but only with those two games! Radical Dreamers and Chrono Trigger load and play fine, though I haven't tested the other few games I have. Now, this isn't more than an annoyance with Harvest Moon, because I have a recent save state and can continue playing from that. Star Ocean is a different story. My last save state is a victim of the game's lock-up bug, and while I have a recent in-game save, I can't get to it! The game locks up before I can get into a battle and be killed (the title screen loads fine in that instance), and I'm at a backtracking point in the game so the enimies actually cannot kill my party. I tried replacing the Star Ocean ROM, but that didn't work.

I think this might have something to do with the CHKSUM, whatever that is. The value reads FAIL on both games, and hasn't before now. The computer is Win98SE, 500mhz Celeron, integrated Intel graphics chipset. And 192 of RAM, I think? While I don't think the computer is corrupting the program/ROMs, it is in the process of dying and that is entirely possible.

Any help? I'm sorry for the longish post.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The games you have are bad dumps if the checksum fails. This is why they don't work. Find a good copy of the said rom(s).
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

But why did they start then randomly stop working?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Could you post your rom(s) info using NSRT?
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Remove old config files. Reconfigure from scratch.

This will fix 99% of those 'randomly happening' stuff.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
AntoineWG
Trooper

Post by AntoineWG »

grinvader wrote:Remove old config files. Reconfigure from scratch.

This will fix 99% of those 'randomly happening' stuff.
Somebody should add a "Reset Configuration" option to ZSNES rather than having to manually delete the files.
[i]"It is better to have tried and failed than to have failed to try, but the result's the same." - Mike Dennison[/i]
Richard C.
Lurker

Post by Richard C. »

or make it to where zsnes's version number is added to the .cfg and .dat files, so that zsnes can automatically detect a newer version and delete the old files

the best thing to do with that would be to preload the cfg and dat files, and rewrite them with each new version, using the settings from the old files
Latest ZSNES release: [url=http://zsnes.ipherswipsite.com]ZSNES 11/12/06 WIP[/url]
Latest NSRT release: [url=http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/]NSRT 3.3 Final[/url]
Reckless

Post by Reckless »

Well, thanks anyway, guys. I downloaded NSRT but before I figured out how to work it, I clicked an option in the save config menu now Star Ocean's loading as normal; still with the bad checksum. I think the option I clicked was to the tune of "load from SRAM." Something involving SRAM. I haven't tried Harvest Moon yet. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edit-"btw i am dumb?" Well, I'm dyslexic and have a tendency to reverse numbers and words, so no, "nsrt (btw i am dumb)" is not an example of my stupidity.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Reckless wrote:Well, thanks anyway, guys. I downloaded NSRT but before I figured out how to work it, I clicked an option in the save config menu now Star Ocean's loading as normal; still with the bad checksum. I think the option I clicked was to the tune of "load from SRAM." Something involving SRAM. I haven't tried Harvest Moon yet. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Edit-"btw i am dumb?" Well, I'm dyslexic and have a tendency to reverse numbers and words, so no, "nsrt (btw i am dumb)" is not an example of my stupidity.
It's just a board filter. Just remember to spell things correctly. :)
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

snkcube wrote:
Reckless wrote:Well, thanks anyway, guys. I downloaded NSRT but before I figured out how to work it, I clicked an option in the save config menu now Star Ocean's loading as normal; still with the bad checksum. I think the option I clicked was to the tune of "load from SRAM." Something involving SRAM. I haven't tried Harvest Moon yet. Thanks for all the suggestions!

You just HAD to tell him?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

Agozer wrote:
snkcube wrote:

The guy has dyslexia, he deserved to know.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Agozer wrote:
snkcube wrote:

Oops?