saves dissapearing

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

theaddy

saves dissapearing

Post by theaddy »

i downloaded zsnes then downloaded final fantasy 2 off <name of rom site>, spent about an hour playing it then had to get off. i saved the game before i got off but when i got back on the save was gone. i tried other games and the saves would all disappear as soon as i exited the games. why is this happening? new to this

mod edit: no rom sites, please.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: saves dissapearing

Post by grinvader »

Are you executing zsnes from inside an archive ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader wrote:Are you executing zsnes from inside an archive ?
excuse my ignorance but im not sure what you mean by that...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

something like zsnes.zip, you open that, you see zsnes.exe inside, and you run that one.

if you don't have file extensions shown (because windows still has them off by default), this could be harder to describe.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader wrote:something like zsnes.zip, you open that, you see zsnes.exe inside, and you run that one.

if you don't have file extensions shown (because windows still has them off by default), this could be harder to describe.
the one i run it with just says "zsnesw"
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Yeah, extension is hidden. Can you upload a screenshot of the window where that file is located ?
皆黙って俺について来い!!

theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

ok, it's not in an archive.

you can try to set a write-accessible save directory (config -> paths), or maybe just change the name of the parent directory from "zsnesw151 (2)" to something that doesn't have a space in it... or both.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader wrote:ok, it's not in an archive.

you can try to set a write-accessible save directory (config -> paths), or maybe just change the name of the parent directory from "zsnesw151 (2)" to something that doesn't have a space in it... or both.
what do you mean by a write-accessible save directory? how would i set that? and i took the space out of the directory name but what will that help?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

theaddy wrote:what do you mean by a write-accessible save directory? how would i set that?
make a directory in C:\users\Adam\ and that should work fine.
i took the space out of the directory name but what will that help?
if there's an issue because of the space it could affect saving stuff. just check if your saves stick around now that you modified that.

Now that i think about it, you should move the whole zsnesw directory out of "my documents". it's a virtual directory, probably doesn't work nicely with the old code.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader wrote:
theaddy wrote:what do you mean by a write-accessible save directory? how would i set that?
make a directory in C:\users\Adam\ and that should work fine.
i took the space out of the directory name but what will that help?
if there's an issue because of the space it could affect saving stuff. just check if your saves stick around now that you modified that.
so do you mean when i go to paths i type C:\users\Adam\ where is says saves?
grinvader wrote:Now that i think about it, you should move the whole zsnesw directory out of "my documents". it's a virtual directory, probably doesn't work nicely with the old code.
where should i move it to?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

theaddy wrote:when i go to paths i type C:\users\Adam\ where is says saves?
(...)
You could do something like that:
- move the zsnesw151 directory to C:\users\Adam\
- create a 'Saves' directory in C:\users\Adam\zsnesw151
- run zsnesw and type "C:\users\Adam\zsnesw151\Saves" in the paths config

Then start a game and check if your saves are kept after you quit zsnes.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader wrote:
theaddy wrote:when i go to paths i type C:\users\Adam\ where is says saves?
(...)
You could do something like that:
- move the zsnesw151 directory to C:\users\Adam\
- create a 'Saves' directory in C:\users\Adam\zsnesw151
- run zsnesw and type "C:\users\Adam\zsnesw151\Saves" in the paths config

Then start a game and check if your saves are kept after you quit zsnes.
trying that now.

also, whenever i download roms they never go onto zsnes itself(like when i click load, no games show up) i always have to find the file itself and open the game from there. is this another problem?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

theaddy wrote:also, whenever i download roms they never go onto zsnes itself(like when i click load, no games show up) i always have to find the file itself and open the game from there. is this another problem?
zsnes can remember the last directory you loaded a ROM file from, so if you stick all of them in the same place (say, C:\users\Adam\zsnesw151\ROMS\), after going there once all of them will show up everytime you click Load.
it's all about organisation.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

theaddy

Post by theaddy »

grinvader wrote:
theaddy wrote:also, whenever i download roms they never go onto zsnes itself(like when i click load, no games show up) i always have to find the file itself and open the game from there. is this another problem?
zsnes can remember the last directory you loaded a ROM file from, so if you stick all of them in the same place (say, C:\users\Adam\zsnesw151\ROMS\), after going there once all of them will show up everytime you click Load.
it's all about organisation.
alright I've done everything you mentioned. about to test it out now. thanks for the help!
theaddy

Post by theaddy »

whenever i try to open a save file from the save directory i made it says bad rom at the bottom and a bunch of other stuff and the screen just goes black. it makes two files(one is .srm and one is .zst) for the same save

when i press f4 the save opens and it plays music but the screen is frozen and i cant move

also, i made the roms file and sent the game to it but it still doesn't show up on zsnes itself
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

theaddy wrote:whenever i try to open a save file from the save directory i made it says bad rom at the bottom and a bunch of other stuff and the screen just goes black. it makes two files(one is .srm and one is .zst) for the same save
you don't open a battery save (.srm) or save state (.zst) from the open ROM dialog. romname.srm is loaded automatically with romname.smc; romname.zst is loaded manually via the load state menu/quickmenu AFTER you've loaded the appropriate rom.
theaddy wrote:when i press f4 the save opens and it plays music but the screen is frozen and i cant move
bad save state?
theaddy wrote:also, i made the roms file and sent the game to it but it still doesn't show up on zsnes itself
i have absolutely no idea what you're trying to say here.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You load the game first, then SRAM saves should load automatically, and saved states are loaded with F4 with the game already running.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae