Super FX - CVS

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Super FX - CVS

Post by Nach »

Well, I'd like to say pagefault has out done himself - again :D

Those of you able to get CVS and compile CVS, please do so and play some Super FX games.

Here were the results of my tests:

Dirt Racer - I don't have it :?
Dirt Trax FX - Still messed up
Doom - Seems great
Star Fox/Starwing - Seems great
Star Fox 2 (Beta) - Seems great :D, yes you read right, I played for ~20 minutes and beat 3 or 4 levels/areas/whatever.
Star Fox/Starwing: Competition Edition - Seems great
Stunt Race FX/Wild Trax - Seems great
Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island - Seems great
Vortex - Seems great
Winter Gold FX - Slow as a slug, was so slow, I didn't even try to wait to see if it still crashed during the intro loop, this seems to be the only real downside of the new SFX code.

So Star Fox 2 seems ready for prime time, and Winter Gold FX was giving 1/50 FPS, how's it working with you guys?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by grinvader »

I only have Yoshi's Island in Super FX.

I'm still trying to recover from that update:
pagefault wrote:SDL port is now way more CPU usage friendly, no longer uses 100% all the time
It made my nose bleed.
[edit: thanks to pf and kode for this one]

... Yoshi's island (U), 1024*768 OGL FULL, hq2x + bilinear filters, 58-60/60.
Except when I 'touch fuzzy, get dizzy'. Low 40s-high 50s when everything is waving around.

Kudos to pagefault for the timing fix. Timing is money. :mrgreen:
Last edited by grinvader on Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
PKFAIRY
Cosmic Chaos

Post by PKFAIRY »

Stunt Race FX blinks violently randomly... maybe its my ROM or video something... Ill scan it with NSRT later :/
*poof*
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Ah, I remember Stunt Race had one version which blinked before which I probably didn't test. Which version you using?
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

pagefault passed me new code which fixed Winter Gold, and I mean fixed, works better than it ever did before. Unforunetly that fix broke some other stuff, it's going to take a few days till it's all worked out and everything is happy.

Post by Tallgeese »

SF2 plays like a dream now.. Except for if you try to fight at the right edge of Corneria. there you might run into... problems. With or without patch.

Nonetheless, it's so smooth and sexy I have to praise of the ZSNES devs for a job well done on the new WIP. Kudos especially to pf for the superFX fixes.
Last edited by Tallgeese on Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Hmm, everything seems extremely smooth. But the strange thing is, ZSNES closed on me when I reached to the final boss.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

snkcube wrote:Hmm, everything seems extremely smooth. But the strange thing is, ZSNES closed on me when I reached to the final boss.
You mean SF2 with the patch? It seems to me that my screen flickers and freezes at a bright blue if I engage fighter squads with the patch. Runs fine without the patch... (The non-debug patch).
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

X Prime wrote:
snkcube wrote:Hmm, everything seems extremely smooth. But the strange thing is, ZSNES closed on me when I reached to the final boss.
You mean SF2 with the patch? It seems to me that my screen flickers and freezes at a bright blue if I engage fighter squads with the patch. Runs fine without the patch... (The non-debug patch).
Yeah, I meant to say SF2 with the patch. By the way, did you use the fast forward button a lot during SF2 with the patch?
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Not at all. Did you try fighting fighter squads?
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Well, I did play the fighter squad missions a lot. No signs of problems unless I use the fast foward button a lot.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

snkcube wrote:Well, I did play the fighter squad missions a lot. No signs of problems unless I use the fast foward button a lot.
Hmm.. Try fighting them when they are positioned on the right side of Corneria. Once there's a blue flicker, there's a freeze. Try Expert for fastest results. Seems to freeze regardless of patch.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

It doesn't have as many problems with snes9x except for the fact that the game runs too fast. Infact I don't recall it crashing at all in snes9x but I'm sure If I did something weird it would.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

X Prime wrote:
snkcube wrote:Well, I did play the fighter squad missions a lot. No signs of problems unless I use the fast foward button a lot.
Hmm.. Try fighting them when they are positioned on the right side of Corneria. Once there's a blue flicker, there's a freeze. Try Expert for fastest results. Seems to freeze regardless of patch.
Okay, I tried what you said, but I couldn't get the results you reported.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

It crashes randomly for me in zsnes. I fought some guy on the left side and it worked fine for one fight then it crashed on another.

Edit: Sorry I'm using the nsrt starfox 2 rom though I have most of the other ones that were floating around.

Edit number two: I was using the newest WIP that was just posted.
Last edited by Zuzma on Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

snkcube wrote:
X Prime wrote:
Okay, I tried what you said, but I couldn't get the results you reported.
While it was on top of the planet? how strange...

I too am using the NSRT verified ROM, after a -fix anyway.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

I'd love to help test, but I have no idea about compiling CVS. Does anybody have a link or something which explains?
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

Try using the latest WIP version. It got updated.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Well I tried out some SuperFX games, actually the first time I've played zsnes in months. Yoshi's island seems to work perfectly. I am not sure about Stunt Race FX since I never owned the cartridge, but it seems to be fine, except there is a line across the very bottom of the screen which I'm not sure is supposed to be there. Dirt Trax is still not working as Nach noted. Star Fox has a problem though, it is way too fast. One way you can tell for sure is listen to the launch intro. usually the computerized voice is saying something like "Prepare for launch", but in this wip you don't even get up to that point and the ships are launched. It's been awhile since I played the cartridge (my cousin owns it) but the gameplay seems too fast as well. I haven't checked an earlier wip yet. This seems to be true for Star Fox 2 as well, although I'm not as sure about this since the only way I've played it has been in Snes9x, but it is faster in zsnes. (Froze on me too, entering the very fist battle :? )

Those are all the SuperFX games I have, for the most part stuff is working a lot better. If more specs are needed, I will post them.
~Bent
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Dirt Racer: still hangs at the screen with the disconnected cartridge (error message?)

Dirt Trax FX: yup, still messed, but at least it runs now where it wouldn't before.

Doom: works great, but a bit too fast like many other superFX games, and also, this little bug is still present:

See the little square on the top right? Artifacts like that only appear in some areas. Here's a savestate. Walk around a little to see it appear and disappear.

Starfox: perfect, only too fast (like Doom, and probably Starfox 2). Proof: the first boss of the easy route is not supposed to open its bay doors until the intro tune is over. On ZSNES, the battle is already halfway once the intro music finishes. Here's a savestate just before the battle.

Starfox 2: runs great (probably too fast), and I've seen it crash a few times, I really can't determine when it happens. Other than that occasional flickering problem, it's awesome.

Starfox: Competition Edition: same as Star Fox.

Stunt Race FX: some palette bug on the cars on the select screen, and the framerate is weird and stuttery, and has disorienting vertical screentearing, which makes me drive into walls all the time. Heh.

Yoshi's Island: yup, great.

Vortex: perfect, if too fast.

Winter Gold FX: don't have it.

(Edit: all my games are NSRT certified btw ;))
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

To snkcube, or whoever mentioned something about star fox 2 in Snes9X: I played SF2 last night in Snes9X, latest WIP, and I beat the game on the normal mission.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
ipher
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by ipher »

Yea, i guess i was wrong about SNES9x crashing on parts of SF2, i played through it again last night and it worked fine... but i could have sworn that i had the rom crash on me in several areas before...

i guess i should change the "no emulator can currently play SF2 perfectly" thing on my site :)
[url=http://www.ipherswipsite.com]ipher's WIP Site[/url]
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

ipher: hehe no emulator runs it perfectly without hacks yet.

blackmyst: I am working on the Starfox 1 and Doom issues, this should be fixed in the next WIP. About Vortex I believe it's supposed to run at the speed it currently does in the WIP (seems way too slow otherwise) but if someone who actually has the cart can tell me otherwise, then please do.

As for Starfox 2 I am still working on it, I am trying to fix without the use of a hack simply because it's been way too long that SuperFX hasn't had any work done.

I have run some more test (best to my ability with resources to work with) and have some new information that should help me get Starfox 2 working better.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

pagefault wrote:ipher: hehe no emulator runs it perfectly without hacks yet.

blackmyst: I am working on the Starfox 1 and Doom issues, this should be fixed in the next WIP. About Vortex I believe it's supposed to run at the speed it currently does in the WIP (seems way too slow otherwise) but if someone who actually has the cart can tell me otherwise, then please do.

As for Starfox 2 I am still working on it, I am trying to fix without the use of a hack simply because it's been way too long that SuperFX hasn't had any work done.

I have run some more test (best to my ability with resources to work with) and have some new information that should help me get Starfox 2 working better.
Excellent news PF.
Zuzma

Post by Zuzma »

That's odd I remeber vortex being one of the slowest super fx games. Even slower then starfox but I can't really confirm it since I don't own the real cart.

Edit: According to reviews on gamefaqs (which I wouldn't trust either :P) they say the game runs slower then starfox.