Hello can someone please help me with a FPS issue?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

ryan7251

Hello can someone please help me with a FPS issue?

Post by ryan7251 »

Hi i have been having a issue with my FPS you see we had to get a new computer last month and it runs great that is till it trys to run ZSNES the thing is when i start a game i get only 30/60 FPS on fullscreen HOWEVER if i minimize it then bring it back up i get the full 60/60 FPS any ideas on how i can fix this with out haveing to minimize ZSNES every time i play?
Gonzo
Regular

Re: Hello can someone please help me with a FPS issue?

Post by Gonzo »

Are you running it with windows 8? Because you should read this:

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34553
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

Yep, take Gonzo's advice if you're using Win8. The only FS setting that runs at 60fps for me is 640x480 DR F. I've tried pretty much every other FS configuration and I always get massive slowdown, or, at best, ~30fps like you get. If 640x480 DR F doesn't run at 60fps, I don't know what to tell you.

Just like you, windowed modes run flawlessly no matter the resolution, filters, sound settings etc. To be brutally honest, just switch to SNES 9x 1.53; it's the superior emulator. BSNES/higan is too damn slow, ZSNES is too outdated, but 9x is just right.

EDIT: If you do switch to 9x, set the sound plugin to XAudio2 to reduce audio crackling.
ryan7251

Post by ryan7251 »

Thank you Gonzo and Yuber both of your ideas helped and Yuber's idea worked. However i like 600 by 800 sadly so i may have to switch to snes9x for that.
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Yuber wrote:Yep, take Gonzo's advice if you're using Win8. The only FS setting that runs at 60fps for me is 640x480 DR F. I've tried pretty much every other FS configuration and I always get massive slowdown, or, at best, ~30fps like you get. If 640x480 DR F doesn't run at 60fps, I don't know what to tell you.

Just like you, windowed modes run flawlessly no matter the resolution, filters, sound settings etc. To be brutally honest, just switch to SNES 9x 1.53; it's the superior emulator. BSNES/higan is too damn slow, ZSNES is too outdated, but 9x is just right.

EDIT: If you do switch to 9x, set the sound plugin to XAudio2 to reduce audio crackling.

If it still crackles, setting the buffer to 128 ms or 160 will reduce any crackling further :mrgreen: But yeah, the XAudio2 API helps a lot.
ryan7251 wrote:Thank you Gonzo and Yuber both of your ideas helped and Yuber's idea worked. However i like 600 by 800 sadly so i may have to switch to snes9x for that.
Definitely one of the best out there :mrgreen:
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

I did try switching the buffer(I keep it at 64 ms) when I first started using 9x, but it didn't really reduce the crackling for me. It basically made audio crackle in different spots, and I don't think there's a way to completely get rid of it. Setting the input rate to 31800 helped too, but switching the driver to Xaudio2 helped the most. I don't think there's any way to prevent crackling in bass-heavy games like SF2 Turbo for example; even ZSNES' sound crackles with that game. Otherwise, those 2 changes eliminated ~95% of the crackling, and 9x's sound is infinitely more accurate than ZSNES'.

You could download some 9x shaders(.cg files, I love the xBR shaders) as well if you want more variety when it comes to filters. I switched to 9x because of the exact same issue, and while it took me a little while to get used to the switch, it's superior in every way. My only gripes are that 1.53 doesn't support .zst files anymore, and pretty much all save state editors are for ZSNES states. The accurate sound alone made the switch worth it though. Even games with complicated audio like FF6 and CT sound almost flawless.

EDIT: In 9x, disabling "hi-resolution support" and "blend hi-res images" in the video menu helps reduce audio issues as well. Make sure "synchronize with sound core" is enabled in the audio settings too. Editing the audio settings may seem tedious but it'll only take you a minute or so to implement those changes. Using OpenGL eliminates the sound crackling for me, but due to my shitty GPU, I get tons of screen tearing even with vsync or triple buffering enabled.