List of compatible games

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Yuber
Trooper

Re: List of compatible games

Post by Yuber »

Damn, Crapcum did butcher the name. Area 88 has nothing to do with grumpy, ineffective world leaders pretending to care about world affairs. I stand by my UN game idea, though.

Can you remember the name of that game you compared to Strider? The SNES version of UN Squadron seems to be a fairly straightforward arcade port.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

grinvader wrote:
Yuber wrote:Given its name
Another case of complete mangling while bringing it overseas, since the original was completely obscure back then.
Nothing to do with the UN, since they're fucking mercenaries.
And/or they didn't want to pay more for international name rights.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Yuber wrote:Can you remember the name of that game you compared to Strider? The SNES version of UN Squadron seems to be a fairly straightforward arcade port.
arcade version: linear stage progression. plane depends on pilot you chose. before each stage, choose one of two special weapons (basic or upgraded) - specific to stage and pilot.

SNES version: branching stage paths with map. stages are generally longer. chosen pilot modifies game mechanics. use money earned on missions to buy new planes; choose which plane to use before each mission. each plane has its own array of compatible special weapons and capacities on those weapons. optional missions to earn extra cash.

i stand by my opinion that the scope of the changes is similar to that of the NES port of Strider.

edit: also, in the SNES version: fuel meter behaves differently (getting hit throws you into DANGER, second hit before you recover is lethal; after a few seconds fuel meter returns to normal less the damage you took). death throws you back to the map screen, no continues.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Yuber
Trooper

Post by Yuber »

The only experience I have with both versions of UN Squadron is brief testing, so I'll concede that the arcade and SNES versions are a lot different than they appear on the surface. I dunno if they're AS different as arcade/Genesis Strider compared to the NES version, but your list definitely changes the mechanics. I've never even played NES Strider(only seen videos) so I'm out of my element trying to compare 2 different arcade ports I've never really played.

I downloaded both the SNES version of UN Squadron & NES Strider, so if I get bored with JRPGs I'll have some extra games to mess around with.