Linux Installation Assistance?

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Alpha17x

Linux Installation Assistance?

Post by Alpha17x »

Hey guys I did a search and found this thread;
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic ... de#p203699

The thread was pretty useful in getting the zsnes161src file onto my system, however I was unable to proceed with the guide.

Unfortunately the ./configure --with-x --enable-libao --enable-release command does not seem to work.

'Error: C Compiler cannot create executables.' is the result of attempting that command

I should point out that I'm using SteamOS (which is based on Debian). It only has valve's own repositories in the sources list and it is quite painful, but not impossible to add other repositories to.

At this point I'm in the enjoyable situation of having to install ZSNES on Linux manually. I've notice that it is a great deal more complex than on well, on anything else. But you don't learn when you don't try so hear I am.

Can anyone point me in the right direction. It wouldn't surprise me if valve's modified to heck version of debian is missing things that would normally make this a cake-walk.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope you can help me.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Linux Installation Assistance?

Post by paulguy »

There should be a config.log file dropped in that directory. It's a big file but if you can paste or upload it somewhere we can find out what's going on.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I wouldn't even try if I were you. Current source doesn't compile on modern setups without massive pains.

P.S.: there is no zsnes 1.61
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Alpha17x

Post by Alpha17x »

Thanks for the replies guys. In the end. I.. well I basically learned Linux. I am both proud of myself and also disturbed by this. Got it on there. Good to go!