ZSNES 1.51 Released!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

ZSNES 1.51 Released!

Post by Nach »

Wake your children up, it's here!

Please read: http://www.zsnes.com/index.php?page=news

The release is r4490.

If the homepage download links aren't updated by the time you read this, go directly to our page on Source Forge.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by snkcube »

Congrats once again.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

snkcube wrote:"Congrats once again."
Quotes for emphasis!
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

*downloads* :P
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

As usual, post bugs here.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Congrats on 1.51.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Excellent job on the new release!!

Here's my first small bug reports for 1.51:

- The last line (224) remains visible when in the menu
- 2xSai, Super 2xSai, Super Eagle and Interpolation prevent the last line from showing (although Interpolation shows it a little).

I ask myself, is the menu also updated with all the recent video changes? I tested this with Super Mario World (last line is in blue).

Thanks again :)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Stifu
Regular

Post by Stifu »

I'm pleased to announce the 73rd release of ZSNES - ZSNES v1.51.

This release is mostly a bunch of bug fixes for things new and altered in v1.51.
Don't you mean v1.50 the second time ?

Can't find a v1.51 link anywhere on the site, too...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/zsnes/

EDIT: The "about" window still says that there's a "license.txt", but it's not in the release... :wink: [complaint]
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

EMu-LoRd wrote:Excellent job on the new release!!

Here's my first small bug reports for 1.51:

- The last line (224) remains visible when in the menu
Intentional I think.
- 2xSai, Super 2xSai, Super Eagle and Interpolation prevent the last line from showing (although Interpolation shows it a little).
Working on that and related things.
I ask myself, is the menu also updated with all the recent video changes? I tested this with Super Mario World (last line is in blue).

Thanks again :)
Yes. SMW's last line is supposed to be blue.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

I appologize for the issues people are having with 1.51 we will have a follow up release soon.

Not a bug:

224 lines are now displayed, so you may see strange lines displayed at the bottom of your screen, this is completely normal and the SNES did this as well.

Bug:

Some lines are not being rendered properly in some games, I'm currently looking into it.

Thanks again for your support.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

Deathlike2 wrote: Intentional I think.
I hope pagefault can quote on this one, I hardly believe this could be intentional.
Deathlike2 wrote: Yes. SMW's last line is supposed to be blue.
If I look at how bsnes renders this, it should be brown... and I'm fairly sure bsnes does it accurate. Killer Instinct for example shows only a purple line, while in bsnes, the line is an actual continuation of the whole screen.
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Quick question: Is there a reason why BMP is the default screenshot output format? Shouldn't it be PNG (for space-saving reasons)?
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Jipcy, you cannot assume that PNG is usable under every condition. DOS 8-bit modes and/or disabling PNG support (SDL) forbids the use of PNG. Although, I think that could be addressed somewhat.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

If I look at how bsnes renders this, it should be brown... and I'm fairly sure bsnes does it accurate. Killer Instinct for example shows only a purple line, while in bsnes, the line is an actual continuation of the whole screen.
SMW's last line is indeed brown. It matches the ground right above the yellow wood border. We've seen this brown line on a TV capture card screenshot, but I don't care to dig that up right now. Most likely there's still some glitches with drawing that last line, however I applaud the ZSNES devs for working on this.

Anyway, many games will show garble there. The reason I render it is because it is there, and the real SNES does draw it. RTO flags still get set if there's too many sprites there, HDMA still runs during line 224's hblank period, and the PPU still outputs pixels to the TV, so I may as well show it.

For all emulators, it would be nice to add a clipping tool to chop off a few pixels (configurable by the user) from each side of the screen as a TV would. I don't know of any that have such a feature right now.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

byuu wrote:
For all emulators, it would be nice to add a clipping tool to chop off a few pixels (configurable by the user) from each side of the screen as a TV would. I don't know of any that have such a feature right now.
if such a thing was added to zsnes id remove the last line... however since you brought up the issue that the last line doesn't show the correct stuff for some games in zsnes... that may be why i never noticed it before on a real tv o_O

BUT i use a pal tv and a simple av cable for it... i've never encountered a strange line at the bottom.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Using the old gfx engine displays the correct output. We are working on a fix right now.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Dumping an AVI has SMW showing a brown line on the bottom, I don't get it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by jsnake »

The smoke GUI effect has a few graphical glitches. It's kinda hard to describe... It should be easily noticeable though. Other than that, 1.51 seems solid. Great job, devs!
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

jsnake wrote:The smoke GUI effect has a few graphical glitches. It's kinda hard to describe... It should be easily noticeable though.
There're some free pixels occuring when you move the mouse cursor a bit while alt-tabbing in & out of a windowed ZSNES. Happens not always.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
jsnake
Rookie

Post by jsnake »

creaothceann wrote:
jsnake wrote:The smoke GUI effect has a few graphical glitches. It's kinda hard to describe... It should be easily noticeable though.
There're some free pixels occuring when you move the mouse cursor a bit while alt-tabbing in & out of a windowed ZSNES. Happens not always.
Well, I don't even have to do that and it sometimes happens.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

Jipcy wrote:Quick question: Is there a reason why BMP is the default screenshot output format? Shouldn't it be PNG (for space-saving reasons)?
PNG is kinda slow. Taking BMP screenshots, on the other hand, is lightning fast.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

pagefault wrote:Using the old gfx engine displays the correct output. We are working on a fix right now.
thank you very much... this makes me happy :)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote:
SMW's last line is indeed brown. It matches the ground right above the yellow wood border. We've seen this brown line on a TV capture card screenshot, but I don't care to dig that up right now. Most likely there's still some glitches with drawing that last line, however I applaud the ZSNES devs for working on this.

Anyway, many games will show garble there. The reason I render it is because it is there, and the real SNES does draw it. RTO flags still get set if there's too many sprites there, HDMA still runs during line 224's hblank period, and the PPU still outputs pixels to the TV, so I may as well show it.

While testing bsnes, I noticed that most games actually use the last line to display information and very few show garbage there. And it's very, very rare that the garbage will actually prove annoying during gameplay or be a permanent neon fixation. That's simply a bug in zsnes. In my opinion, a cut off feature or anything that tries to simulate overscan is totally unnecessary. Not only because of the fact that so few games have these so called border issues, but because CRT tv technology has absolutely nothing to do with actual SNES output. Most developers were smart enough to realize that overscan varied GREATLY depending on the tv, so it was smarter to simply draw the entire area and eliminate any chance of a crt tv displaying a black border beside the image.

If people are so bothered by this crt crap in general, how about buying a tv with a composite input and running the video card to a tube? Or how about getting one of those really old crt monitors with the curved screens and manually inflating the display area to effectuate overscan? Trying to simulate this stuff on a modern flat screen, progressive computer monitor always ends up looking like shit in comparison. I don't know when this fad got started in emulation, but it's getting out of hand. Just look at the two biggest sega emulators with their annoying RF signal bullshit. The gaming experience just wouldn't be complete without emulating the most notoriously annoying tv signal, would it? And how about these emulators with the "Machine" in the menu. An emulator is not a machine. There are processes that can and should be simplified. It's just silly to have to turn on "the machine" after loading a rom. Is clicking a computer mouse twice as much somehow more nostalgic? I'm sorry, but I don't have the imagination of a six year old to pretend that I am operating a real system. Instead, I feel like I'm being faced with an "are you sure?" pop-up every time I load a rom, because I load every rom with the obvious intention of running it.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

maybe when they do fix the output of the bottom line in ZSNES i might not clip it.