ZSNES 1.51 Released!

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i see nothing wrong with a clipping option. why look at something you never knew existed? sure the snes drew it, but you never saw it. why see it now? just to show off the accuracy of your program?
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

they say that it IS visible on a TV tho... maybe i did.... if i did i would know it, but as some have pointed out... the line is not showing correctly anyways... so maybe when the line gets fixed i wont find it annoying.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
selmo2000
Rookie

Post by selmo2000 »

Thanks for this release!
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~selmo2000/pictures/selmo2000.gif[/img]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

EMu-LoRd wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:Edit: Never mind, pf said it was intentional. So, it seems to work just fine then... DOS port does need more testing unfortunately...
So the garbage on the right and bottom side is intentional? Please explain :?
The filter itself overflows, so a line has to be hidden. ZSNES didn't do a really good job of that before, but now that is fixed. However, the garbage had to be dealt with separately and that is fixed as well.

However, the bottom line is not a filter related issue (unless you're talking about it having a slight black streak, but that's intentional because of how the filter works).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Deathlike2 wrote:However, the bottom line is not a filter related issue (unless you're talking about it having a slight black streak, but that's intentional because of how the filter works).
So the filter uses black for pixels that are outside of the source image?

Just fyi, to avoid these darker lines vSNES creates a temporary source buffer that has the array bounds [-1..239+1, -1..255+1] and fills the extra lines with the source data.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
filouk
Rookie

Post by filouk »

I was all happy to see that one of the new features in ZsNes 1.51 was the ability to view all 224 lines... But when I tried it, I was all disappointed because that is not true, the bottom line is still missing and appears in black. :(
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

filouk wrote:I was all happy to see that one of the new features in ZsNes 1.51 was the ability to view all 224 lines... But when I tried it, I was all disappointed because that is not true, the bottom line is still missing and appears in black. :(
pagefault wrote:Using the old gfx engine displays the correct output. We are working on a fix right now.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

im also using latest version from SVN all the time filouk.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

great job guys, I already posted bugs in the bug thread, lots of fun, thanks for the updates and I'm looking forward to the next release, the bugfixes, and eventually the new core, can't wait :D
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
denilsonnery

Post by denilsonnery »

thanks
jez
Rookie

Post by jez »

Bah. For all those people in this thread insisting that the bottom 'garbage' line is a good thing because it's what the original SNES did; hardly. It's very annoying and sticks out a mile in certain cases, especially if you're in fullscreen with a black border. If perfect emulation were so important, graphics and sound filters wouldn't exist, nor would save states, speedup, movies, etc. There's no reason an emulator can't offer *enhancements* to the original, as well as pure emulation. Below are some examples of the 'garbage' line being annoying. I request a feature in the next ZSNES version, in the video options, to clip the bottom line (as was done in previous versions of ZSNES, by the way).

=== Jez ===
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

That's an emulator bug, Jez. It should be fixed, not covered up.
pagefault
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by pagefault »

Deathlike2 wrote:
filouk wrote:I was all happy to see that one of the new features in ZsNes 1.51 was the ability to view all 224 lines... But when I tried it, I was all disappointed because that is not true, the bottom line is still missing and appears in black. :(
pagefault wrote:Using the old gfx engine displays the correct output. We are working on a fix right now.
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

jez wrote:I request a feature in the next ZSNES version, in the video options, to clip the bottom line (as was done in previous versions of ZSNES, by the way).
Perhaps instead of clipping it there can be an option to mask it with a black line, or something.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The extra line doesn't look so bad when using a stretched 4:3 resolution like the real SNES uses, as it is right at the bottom of the screen, rather than some other aspect ratio with borders (i.e. not how it looked on the original NTSC SNES).
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm sure everyone is so glued to the bottom of the screen at all times. Seriously, it is not the end of the world.
Tallgeese
Justice is Blind

Post by Tallgeese »

Nobody said it is or even acted so.

Honestly the overreaction is coming from the other side.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Congratulations for the latest Release in a so little time after the 1.50 version.
I must say that I agree with the previous posters about the bottom line subject.
Just as we can go for the exact emulation of Snes system as we would have on tv screen such as low resolution, no graphic filters, raw sound etc.., or we can go for a modified and modern way with more eye candy and improvements such as 2xsai,hq(x)x filters, interpolated and low-pass filtered sound ; we should just be able to disable or enable the bottom line. In order to make it more suitable for different emulation tastes.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Seriously, the last line is a non-issue. I've had it enabled in my emulator for about a year now, and not one person has complained about it. Given I may not have such a large userbase; but all 4,000 games were tested with it, and maybe ~1% of them show something visually distracting at the bottom scanline. When it gets fixed, nobody will even notice it. Wait for it to get fixed, and then if it still bothers you, ask for a clipping option.

And to reiterate:
Rashidi
Trooper

many thanx

Post by Rashidi »

i would like to thank to ZSNES dev. team, you guys are awesome!

new option about save state, is great, now TH-G play better with properly with save state,
move save state 10 to 100 is great too! (though i prefer named save state)

when killing / deleting all config file, it is a good thing that ZSNES not start in "D" mode anymore, since my buggy video driver can't cope with it in windowed mode :oops:

now about (black) 1 pixel last-line in below, now snapshot doesn't include that line, so creating game's overworld map from game's snapshot has become slight simpler.

thank you for considering many of our pesky request, ZSNES is awesome!!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

byuu wrote:Seriously, the last line is a non-issue. I've had it enabled in my emulator for about a year now, and not one person has complained about it. Given I may not have such a large userbase; but all 4,000 games were tested with it, and maybe ~1% of them show something visually distracting at the bottom scanline. When it gets fixed, nobody will even notice it. Wait for it to get fixed, and then if it still bothers you, ask for a clipping option.

And to reiterate:
i understand which is why i have stopped asking about it... if snes9x shows all lines then you are correct that the last line wont annoy me once it gets fixed up.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

if people really are bitching about it so much would it bet that hard to create an option either way? I really don't care, I mean, hell it's you emulator.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

There will be an option. The default will be to show the last line. For the last time, stop complaining.
Firon
Trooper

Post by Firon »

It's gonna get fixed, and then needing to clip the line won't be necessary/wanted anymore.
crocomire
Hazed

Post by crocomire »

Aero the Acro-Bat is OK now, thanks!!! :D
THE LAST METROID IS IN CAPTIVITY.
THE GALAXY IS AT PEACE...