Blurry output in full-screen modes

General area for talk about ZSNES. The best place to ask for related questions as well as troubleshooting.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

IwantKropotkin

Blurry output in full-screen modes

Post by IwantKropotkin »

Hi!

I've recently moved from a laptop with an ATI Mobility Radeon graphics card to a desktop computer with an AMD Radeon graphics card. Both run Windows 7.

I have never encountered any problem of any sort with zSNES on my laptop. I'd simply select a 640x480 DR F resolution and I'd get my nice, blocky, integer-scaled output.

Now, for some reason, this doesn't work anymore on my new computer. 640x480 DR F gives me a blurry output, and so do all other fullscreen modes - as if the interpolation filter was on, which isn't.

I know there is sort of a workaround which consists of using a custom resolution that basically is your screen resolution (in my case, 1920x1080) but it wrecks the aspect ratio.

This is a completely fresh install of zSNES, so I suppose the problem actually comes from my graphics card. However, I really am unknowledgeable when it comes to hardware, so I can't say much more than the reference of the card model involved here: it's an AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series.

So, does anybody know where this problem might come from?

Thanks.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Re: Blurry output in full-screen modes

Post by odditude »

the difference is likely due to how your laptop's display scales non-native resolutions vs how your desktop's display does so.

to use a full-screen resolution without wrecking the aspect ration, don't use an S mode - use an R mode, and check "USE 4:3 RATIO" on the filters tab/
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
IwantKropotkin

Re: Blurry output in full-screen modes

Post by IwantKropotkin »

I'm actually using an R mode. However, I did manage to solve that problem: The aspect ratio distortion is actually a documented issue with some graphics cards including the one I own, for which there is a (weird but functional) workaround.

There still remains the problem of blurry pixels, though. And indeed, it does seem to come from how my graphics card handle upscaling. Would you know if it's possible to actually change that?