Super Gameboy and Gameboy

Anything else related to bsnes goes there.
Dullaron
Lurker

Super Gameboy and Gameboy

Post by Dullaron »

I have a question.

Super Gameboy (rom on load letter A)

Gameboy game (rom on load letter B)

Can this be done? I don't think I ever seen this done on any of the Super Nintendo emulators yet.

I would like to see byuu try this someday. Just to see what will happen.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You know why no one's done the Super GameBoy yet, right?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's one of those things that will always get misunderstood.

In before "it should be easy, you already do <other feature that's completely unrelated but looks similar>".
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Because you ask for too much

This is why we can't have nice things
Thristian
Hazed

Post by Thristian »

Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of which GameBoy games behave differently in a Super GameBoy? I hear there's at least one that has a (very small) SNES game inside.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Thristian wrote:Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of which GameBoy games behave differently in a Super GameBoy?
Well, here's a list of games...
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
AamirM
Regen Developer
Regen Developer

Post by AamirM »

Why not just kludge a GB emu into a SNES emu :P . </stupid mode>
FitzRoy
Veteran

Re: Super Gameboy and Gameboy

Post by FitzRoy »

Dullaron wrote:Can this be done? I don't think I ever seen this done on any of the Super Nintendo emulators yet.
Probably one of the main reasons is that (a) it doesn't support GBC-only games and (b) it would be slower than a stand-alone emulator. It's true, though, some games had special stuff for it, just not enough to generate any interest for the effort involved.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Yeah, lack of CGB support is the primary reason I'm not interested.

I really do want to work on another emulator, and true SGB would be a neat way to do that, but my favorite GB games are CGB-only, such as the Shin Megami Tensei: DC games.

Lots of research and work for very little gain. Besides, I could never compete with sinamas' and blargg's research in that field. FitzRoy also makes an excellent point about speed. I think the last thing people want is the overhead of cycle-accurate SGB support on top of bsnes :P

And just merging say gambatte with bsnes isn't going to work, either. There's a whole communication interface between the two that would have to be reverse-engineered. That won't be easy. Still, if someone wants to try, be my guest.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Byuu, are you going to work on a CGB emulator? That would be quite nice to see how it turns out!
byuu

Post by byuu »

Nah, no point. sinamas already has a near-perfect one that's plenty fast.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

A clean GBA emulator would be nice. Complexity is probably similar to the SNES.
h4tred

Post by h4tred »

A clean GBA emulator would be nice. Complexity is probably similar to the SNES.
Amen to that.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

byuu wrote:Nah, no point. sinamas already has a near-perfect one that's plenty fast.
Ah yes, I just checked it out and it is quite nice.

One thing I remember about the super gameboy though is it had graphic artwork borders on the screen for some games. So using a straight gameboy emulator wouldn't include this feature unless it was included as an extra.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I could recall, like, god knows how long ago that the DOS version of NO$GMB had support for borders, so I'm pretty sure there's some current one that does.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Yeah thankfully it seems some straight emulators do include support for the borders. I do recall not liking no$ or whatever that was called. I'm not sure if it was that one, but one of those back then actually charged money even though the emulator was average at best.
Panzer88
Inmate

Post by Panzer88 »

kigb supports em.
[quote="byuu"]Seriously, what kind of asshole makes an old-school 2D emulator that requires a Core 2 to get full speed? [i]>:([/i] [/quote]
byuu

Post by byuu »

FirebrandX wrote:I do recall not liking no$ or whatever that was called. I'm not sure if it was that one, but one of those back then actually charged money even though the emulator was average at best.
I always liked the ironic choice of naming. Like me going with GNU/OSI/FOSSnes. "It's because I don't have ..., not because it actually is."
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I think the NO$ referred to the emulator author's lack of money. At least no$gba is relatively cheap and in my experience it works quite well.. What was it? $2.50?
byuu

Post by byuu »

paulguy wrote:I think the NO$ referred to the emulator author's lack of money.
Yes.
byuu wrote:"It's because I don't have ..., not because it actually is."
byuu wrote:"It's because I don't have (hint: any money), not because it actually is (free)."
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

lameboy on the DS has borders

it's been a long time i've booted it since sram doesn't work right (save states do, kind of stupid), but i'm pretty sure it also does borders.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

byuu wrote:
paulguy wrote:I think the NO$ referred to the emulator author's lack of money.
Yes.
byuu wrote:"It's because I don't have ..., not because it actually is."
byuu wrote:"It's because I don't have (hint: any money), not because it actually is (free)."
Still though, I remember thinking "yeah right, like I'm going to pay for this when there are better alternatives". Magic Engine was the only emulator I actually decided was worth paying for, though I certainly would pay for bsnes if I had to ;) Now don't get any ideas about that, byuu :P
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

FirebrandX wrote:Now don't get any ideas about that, byuu :P
If anything I think byuu would be offended at the very suggestion ;) He feels very strongly about this.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

from my "extremely limited" understanding of the super gameboy it would probably be better to:

-Add limited snes support to a GB emulator
-Extract the snes games from the GB games and hack them to load in regular snes emulators

9 out of 10 games only added:
-4 button controller support
-2 player support
-Borders.

I think any GB emulator can trick the game into thinking it's in a snes.

Just add support for 2 controllers with 4 buttons and display the borders

Maybe if some snes dev's and gb dev's worked together it could be built very fast, it might only requires emulation of the controller logic
megadude

Post by megadude »

Could it be possible to create a hack program that would merge the GB rom with the super gameboy rom and create one combo snes rom? :P