bsnes upx'd?

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

The curious in me just wants to know why, if bandwidth on his current host is so sparse that small gains from UPX are needed to conserve it, it is so hard to find a host where this is not an issue? Surely, the most generous thing you can do for a host who suffers from that extra 600mb a month is to find a host with whom it would not be a burden?

It's all rather confusing. Donations in the form of webspace are accepted from some and not others, then we hear problems concerning bandwidth that makes me think of stories my grandmother used to tell of having to use the same bathwater during the depression as her seven brothers before her...

Meanwhile, the size of bsnes has seen far more volatility due to images being included and removed, yet no mention of bandwidth problems in those cases, and UPX remains justifiable added complexity. I'm perplexed.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

how is upx more complex?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Compression/decompression and everything that arises from it vs the absence of such?
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Most people don't use upx at all.
How do you know that? A lot more apps use UPX and similar programs than you think.

I'm not stopping any of you using upx on a program and then upload it. I will resize it back after download it. To me upx is pointless to make programs smaller size when I can just zip it a lot faster.
And in that case I'll use something harder to reverse so you lamers don't interfere with my work. I might have to do that with the game trainers I am starting to write..... :roll:
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

The only program I've heard of that doesn't use UPX or a similar compressor is MAME. Everything else I've come across uses UPX or similar.

That's a whole lot of un-UPXing Dullaron must have done for effectively zero difference in performance.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

Older versions of MAME used it.

One of the official UPX examples is also MAME.

http://upx.sourceforge.net/#examples
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Dullaron »

Ok guys I believe you. Sorry about that.

<From Haze> it increases memory usage (because the whole exe has to be loaded and decompressed rather than parts of it)

it reduces file size (which could save bandwidth)

it causes false-positive errors with virus scanners from time to time.

that's all there is to it.<end>
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

<From Haze> it increases memory usage (because the whole exe has to be loaded and decompressed rather than parts of it)
I seriously have to wonder Dullaron why you have a vendetta against UPX...I doubt anyone ran into RAM issues over UPX with bsnes yet.... :roll: I never thought something as simple as executable compression would spawn a debate over its use with BSNES. I mean....sheesh....
it causes false-positive errors with virus scanners from time to time.
Do we really have to care about end user's sensitivity, or can we just tell end users to be wary of false positives on some retarded AV packages? Do we as developers ultimately have to make up for some issues due to AV products. I seriously don't think so.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/sh ... art=1&vc=1

This have nothing to do with bsnes.

You can see I did ask this. "Why it effect MAME builds?"

Sorry I didn't post the link when I post his reply.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
mudlord
has wat u liek

Post by mudlord »

Sorry I didn't post the link when I post his reply.
No probs, but it would have been helpful as then I would have known the context of the reply.

But still:

bsnes with UPX = no issue
MAME with UPX = potential for issues with memory usage
Nightcrawler
Romhacking God

Post by Nightcrawler »

FitzRoy wrote:The curious in me just wants to know why, if bandwidth on his current host is so sparse that small gains from UPX are needed to conserve it, it is so hard to find a host where this is not an issue? Surely, the most generous thing you can do for a host who suffers from that extra 600mb a month is to find a host with whom it would not be a burden?

It's all rather confusing. Donations in the form of webspace are accepted from some and not others, then we hear problems concerning bandwidth that makes me think of stories my grandmother used to tell of having to use the same bathwater during the depression as her seven brothers before her...

Meanwhile, the size of bsnes has seen far more volatility due to images being included and removed, yet no mention of bandwidth problems in those cases, and UPX remains justifiable added complexity. I'm perplexed.
I have to agree with your logic here. I don't care whether BSNES is UPX'd or not. However, it seems silly UPX and the extra 60k saving? is the center of the argument for conserving bandwidth. If there's not enough space or bandwidth for a file of that size, alternative free hosting should certainly be looked into.
[url=http://transcorp.romhacking.net]TransCorp[/url] - Home of the Dual Orb 2, Cho Mahou Tairyku Wozz, and Emerald Dragon SFC/SNES translations.
[url=http://www.romhacking.net]ROMhacking.net[/url] - The central hub of the ROM hacking community.
tcaudilllg2
Hazed

Post by tcaudilllg2 »

I think he wants an assurance that it won't be taken down. Most filehosters have a very strict policy regarding anything having to do with emulators.

On the other hand... GoogleCode? Sourceforge? Emulators are hosted on Sourceforge, lots of them.
byuu

Post by byuu »

(SourceForge || GoogleCode) + http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/bsnes/license/ == Image
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

tcaudilllg2 wrote:I think he wants an assurance that it won't be taken down. Most filehosters have a very strict policy regarding anything having to do with emulators.

On the other hand... GoogleCode? Sourceforge? Emulators are hosted on Sourceforge, lots of them.
Okay, so what kind of hosting does every other emulator use? I'm certain there are a myriad of hosting services in the world that are not paranoid about the legality of emulation. This would not be a difficult thing to find.

So the real issue is a personal and undisclosed preference that may or may not make sense to anyone else. Fine, there's nothing left to debate then. But let's not pretend.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:(SourceForge || GoogleCode) + http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/bsnes/license/ == Image
Pandas are awesome even sad.
Does that mean googlecode + your site == awesome ?

>:D
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Nightcrawler wrote:
I have to agree with your logic here. I don't care whether BSNES is UPX'd or not. However, it seems silly UPX and the extra 60k saving? is the center of the argument for conserving bandwidth. If there's not enough space or bandwidth for a file of that size, alternative free hosting should certainly be looked into.
all the complexity currently is handled by byuu. So is the bandwidth. The only additional complexity undertaken beyond's byuu has been by nitpickers.
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

funkyass wrote:all the complexity currently is handled by byuu. So is the bandwidth. The only additional complexity undertaken beyond's byuu has been by clueless nitpickers.
Fixed.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Almost everything that goes on in these forums could be considered nitpicking. Why stop now?

But I don't disagree that suggestions can be made in a better manner than "byuu, don't do this."
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

If I am close to 60 fps, would unpacking bsnes actually help :?: :!: I guess the reason why this came up for bsnes and not other programs is that bsnes is awesome and nobody cares if their paint program is functioning as fast as possible :P
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

UPX should affect only the startup time.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

bobthebuilder wrote:If I am close to 60 fps, would unpacking bsnes actually help :?: :!: I guess the reason why this came up for bsnes and not other programs is that bsnes is awesome and nobody cares if their paint program is functioning as fast as possible :P
Well, what settings are you using? There's some ways to potentially increase your speed, including using no filters and directdraw under system.video in the advanced section of bsnes' configuration.
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
bobthebuilder
Hazed

Post by bobthebuilder »

I know why I can't get 60fps, it is because I love the ntsc filter too much... :P When zsnes has an official release with blarrgs sound core and video filter I will use it for my casual gaming with friends, but I will continue to use bsnes for my own purposes :lol:
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

bobthebuilder wrote:MAME with UPX = potential for issues with memory usage
Maybe it have something to do with the size and coding limited? Like MAME is 29.1mb with a lot of coding.
Y~K
Hazed

Post by Y~K »

FitzRoy wrote:But I don't disagree that suggestions can be made in a better manner than "byuu, don't do this."
That's because I'm amazing! :lol:
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Dullaron wrote:
bobthebuilder wrote:MAME with UPX = potential for issues with memory usage
Maybe it have something to do with the size and coding limited? Like MAME is 29.1mb with a lot of coding.
Well, mame emulates multiple systems though, right?
I guess the huge filesize is pretty normal.