bsnes v030 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
Turambar
Rookie

Post by Turambar »

Really neo_bahamut1985, nobody cares if you have too slow computer for playing bsnes. Private WIPs are for testing, not for playing. Use some other emulator if you want to play your favourite game. Byuu has other aims than getting games to run at full speed too. It's pretty likely that byuu will release a new version soon because of the optimization. Be patient, it's been only a few days since byuu posted the WIP.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

I know. It was just a matter of curiosity. That's all. I will wait until the official build's released..

Edit 7:03PM: Odd, seemed that Byuu PM'd me and sent the beta (30.04) and I do indeed notice a nice speed increase (the CT Black Omen screen runs at a nice 60 FPS w/the NTSC filter)! Much thanks!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
byuu

Post by byuu »

New WIP posted, which adds:
- krom's Direct3D fix; point mode at multiples of 3x and higher without aspect ratio correction is no longer blurry
- FitzRoy's updated SNES controller graphic
- glX improvement for Linux, window will clear to black on startup for ATI cards now too, but it still doesn't redraw when the window is damaged because I can't trap the exposure events
- tiny clarification to S-DSP emulator source (use echo_hist_pos enum instead of just "8")
- started to add SPC7110 detection for the sole purpose of advising that the chip isn't supported. Not finished yet. Also need to fix ST-011 detection while I'm at it (it's detected as ST-010 now; they share ROM type and mapper IDs), and all special chip games should be covered.
- re-added the slightly incorrect HDMA sync timing. It helps (but doesn't fix) Mecarobot, it breaks the SoM intro again; but Street Racer and Jumbo Ozaki are still working right -- looks like other timing improvements since then were enough for those titles

For those asking for WIP access, I'm really sorry but I have way too many testers now. It's extremely hard for me to even keep track anymore. I just don't have the bandwidth.

If you absolutely need a specific WIP, I'll stick it on a file sharing site or something for you. Otherwise, my apologies for not sending you the link. I absolutely do appreciate the offers to help beta test, though.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

byuu wrote:For those asking for WIP access, I'm really sorry but I have way too many testers now. It's extremely hard for me to even keep track anymore. I just don't have the bandwidth.
Ok then :)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

Dump it on bittorrent or something then, hosting is not supposed to be an issue.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I think don't think byuu would like to mess with torrents. Then he have to mess with the settings and files.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Additionally, problems happen when WIP releases are available to the public. Byuu having to answer questions about the WIPs would waste time he could be spending improving BSNES.
byuu

Post by byuu »

I don't want WIPs public mainly because I don't want news sites posting each WIP version that I put up every single night. That will just annoy the fuck out of anyone not a huge fan of bsnes.

Next, those news site postings result in a lot of additional downloads for what amount to very, very minor changes.

Next, to save time, I compile WIPs with ZIP/JMA/PGO support off. Of course, no PGO at all now. Meh.

Other reasons exist as well. I do want to eventually get a page setup where anyone who wants to WIPs can get them, but that's a long ways off. I hate having to exclude people, but there's just way, way too many people already for my current hosting situation. No, I'm not going to find another host. No, I'm not torrenting it or putting it up on some sleazy download hosting site. Just be patient, releases are already very frequent. Moreso than any other active SNES emu ;)

I appreciate that nobody takes it harshly.
henke37
Lurker

Post by henke37 »

I never once mentioned making them public for everybody. It's not impossible to keep them private even when not hosting it yourself.

Stuff it in a passworded archive or something. Technical solutions do exist.
Or just continue to just not tell people where to download them, that works too.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

henke37 wrote:I never once mentioned making them public for everybody. It's not impossible to keep them private even when not hosting it yourself.

Stuff it in a passworded archive or something. Technical solutions do exist.
Or just continue to just not tell people where to download them, that works too.
You are forgetting you are on the Internets. Just consider it like a blog, which is virtually accessible by anyone. Once it's released, there's nothing much you can do about it.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
MEGAMANULTIMATE

help

Post by MEGAMANULTIMATE »

Sorry, I know I probably mistakenly posted in a dev thread. Is there a place where I can ask questions to possibly fix a problem in bsnes?
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: help

Post by Deathlike2 »

MEGAMANULTIMATE wrote:Sorry, I know I probably mistakenly posted in a dev thread. Is there a place where I can ask questions to possibly fix a problem in bsnes?
It helps to create a new thread. Also, the BSNES board descriptions are there for a reason.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I don't blame byuu at all. I wouldn't let my wips get out to someone that willing to host ether.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
byuu

Post by byuu »

New WIP up.

This one fixes HDMA bus sync timing. I verified this was correct per hardware with the HDMA test sync ROM. It was definitely wrong before.

Secret of Mana, Street Racer and Jumbo Ozaki no Hole in One all work. Yes, they worked in the official v030 release, but that release had HDMA sync disabled and rounded.

Mecarobot is improved greatly, but still flickers when the golf course is moving. If you're as desperate as I am to play this amazing masterpiece right now, you can always hex edit the ROM and change offset 0x1c6f from 0x40 to 0x80 :)

I'm still investigating that issue more before I start running hardware tests. I want to rule out things that can't be the cause of the bug first.

I've also added (hopefully) proper SPC7110 detection. If anyone wants to test all of them to make sure it works, great. It should give you a popup now saying that it's unsupported. Down to just needing ST-011 detection now.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

I notice those nss roms on mame doesn't work on bsnes. But those do work on zsnes. Are you planning on working on nss part? Just wondering byuu.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

The Nintendo Super System is a totally different piece of hardware than the Super Nintendo, I'd say it's probably beyond the scope of BSNES to handle.
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's supposedly just an extra register somewhere, but nobody ever bothered to document it anywhere. I could figure it out, but honestly I've never even been able to find the NSS games. Though I'll admit that I haven't bothered to try.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

The nss was the arcade version of the snes, right? I've always wanted to play the Mario World arcade rom, but I could never get it to work with wonderful, wonderful mame...

If there was any way to implement it, I'd be happy to see it done. It seems like a fringe thing though, and not really related to actual snes emulation (plus your note about it not being well documented), so I won't hold my breath.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Searching for "nss.zip" on Google will get you the BIOS that Mame uses to run them, and "nss_smw.zip" will get you the Super Mario World ROM. Having those probably isn't useful though without documentation though.

* Edit: Well, here's a page showing info on MAME's NSS driver:
MAWS - showing driver: nss.c
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

For those whom are too lazy to click the link, here's a little information about the hardware.
Hardware: This system is basically a Super Nintendo with a timer. The main board has 3 slots on it and can accept up to 3 plug-in carts. The player can choose to play any of the available games, although I'm not sure why anyone would have wanted to pay money to play these games when the home SNES was selling as well. The control panel was also just some SNES pads mounted into the arcade machine control panel. Not very usable as-is and very cheaply presented. There are 3 types of carts. The carts have only a few components on them, including some ROMs/sockets, a few logic chips/resistors/caps, a DIPSW8 block, one unknown DIP8 chip (with it's surface scratched) and some solder-jumper pads to config the ROM types. The unknown DIP8 chip is different per game also. There is a sticker on top with a 2-digit game code (I.E. MW/AT/L3 etc).
I have to agree with one part of this. Why would somebody want to play money to pay those games in an arcade setting, when at the same time the home SNES was selling? Unless there's differences in the games for it, I really don't see any point in pursuing anything like this.

Just my two cents. :)
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Or if you didn't have 150+ to drop on a console and 40+ to drop on a game.

That was kind of obvious, dude.
King Of Chaos
Trooper

Post by King Of Chaos »

Of course, but I still don't see the point. Obviously spending $150+ back in the day, $40 a game didn't bother many from buying the SNES and games for it.

Oh well. Does anyone know if there's any differences between the arcade versions and the console versions of the games released for this?
[url=http://www.eidolons-inn.net/tiki-index.php?page=Kega]Kega Fusion Supporter[/url] | [url=http://byuu.cinnamonpirate.com/]bsnes Supporter[/url] | [url=http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/]Regen Supporter[/url]
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I'm fairly certain that Mario was a lot harder when I played it, but it's been a really long time. If I (or anyone) can get them working in mame I'll be able to say with more certainty. Obviously if all that's different is that it asks for coins or something, then it's not worth it. But if it's as different as it seemed when I was a kid, it would be a pretty neat addition to the code (once again, if that's possible).
byuu

Post by byuu »

Okay, looked into NSS for the hell of it.

The games are stored in bizarre-MAMEworld format. Essentially, they just dumped every last chip they could and stuck it in a ZIP file.

Some of it probably has something to do with the menu system. That appears to use a Z80 or something like that to display. I don't know, and don't really care. I'm not emulating another co-processor just for a DIP switch menu. At least not now, more important things to do.

So, that said ... you basically want to delete everything except the .ic* files. Then delete any icN file that is <=32kb. Now, go in reverse order and concatenate them into one file. This file loads just fine in bsnes. The only thing left after that is the NSS DIP switch setting register. It's just a bitmask to say which switches are on, and which are off. Simple enough.

I think I'll add a simple window with six checkboxes to the misc menu or something. Make the ROM loader look for a .dip file, which will have text labels for each DIP switch. If the text file isn't found, it'll just use "Dip switch # 1 - 6". That should be good enough.

I'm not going to support the dumbass chunked MAME ZIP loading system. Fuck that. Use NSRT to merge them into one solid ROM, and that will run in bsnes.

Oh, and the nss_smw.zip dump on the top three search results are all bad (256kb for a 512kb game). They don't run anywhere. I got Actraiser working, though.
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

I went through the steps to concatenate the IC files together, and it scanned and loaded correctly. All it does is display a black screen though. I assume its because I don't have the bitmask set?

Code: Select all

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: actraise.smc
       Name: ACTRAISER-ARCADE         Company: Enix
     Header: None                        Bank: LoROM
Interleaved: Game Doctor / UFO           SRAM: 0 Kb
       Type: Normal                       ROM: 8 Mb
  ROM Speed: 200ns (SlowROM)         Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0xF9AA            Game Code: 
---------------------------Hashes---------------------------
      CRC32: 056B35AB
        MD5: 693AD8ACFFE035DF1C8A1BA16D7B9F16
--------------------------Database--------------------------
    ROM wasn't found in the database (possible bad dump).
    You can try using -fix or -findover to see if the
    file has been slightly altered in a rectifiable way.