bsnes v0.031 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
byuu

bsnes v0.031 released

Post by byuu »

A special thanks to everyone here who helped make this release possible!
byuu.org wrote:New release posted. Perhaps the most important change was fixing a bug in the Windows port when the keyboard was used for input. For some reason, the IsDialogMessage() function I use for tab key support was causing the main window to emit the Windows error beep every time a key was pressed after a few minutes of use. I do not know why this is, so I have simply disabled the tab key support to prevent this from happening.

Other than that, lots of polishing went into this release. UPS soft-patching will work with the recently released Der Langrisser v1.02 translation, for those curious. You can also store the UPS patches in GZ/ZIP/JMA support, and bsnes will detect this and decompress the patches first. Use the same ".ups" file extension for this, as it detects via file header.

If you wish to try out the newly added OpenGL support: start bsnes, go to Settings->Configuration->Advanced and set system.video to "wgl" (or "glx" for Linux users), and then restart the emulator. Please bear in mind that ATI's OpenGL drivers are an industry-wide joke, so I'd only recommend trying this on an nVidia or Intel video card.
Changelog:
• Fixed bug and re-enabled HDMA bus sync delays
• Emulated newly discovered IRQ timing edge case
• Optimized offset-per-tile rendering
• Added state-machine implementation of S-DSP core, ~5% speedup
• Added SPC7110 detection, will now warn that this chip is unsupported
• Fixed very annoying Windows port OS beeping noise when using keyboard for input
• Linux port will now save most recent folder when no default ROM path is selected
• Added OpenGL rendering support to Windows port [krom]
• Fixed Direct3D pixel mode scaling bug [krom, sinamas, VG]
• Improved SNES controller graphic [FitzRoy]
• Added UPS (not IPS) soft-patching support; UPS patch must be made against unheadered ROM
• As always, cleaned up source code a bit
Download here:
http://byuu.org/bsnes/
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

Yay! :)
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

*Downloads*

PS: Byuu, did you take a look at that design I sent you?
byuu

Post by byuu »

Yes, thanks. I just finished a redesign though, so I'm a bit burned out on HTML / CSS. I'll keep it in mind when I get in the mood to change things up again, but I'm pretty happy with the simplicity of the current design.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu, you need something added to the status bar regarding UPS.

1) If the patching is successful....
2) If the patching fails... (not sure if you want to go the popup box route in this instance, but I'd argue against that). It helps to know that this has occured.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

I understand that Fitzroy only recently did the current design for you, and it would be disrespectful to suddenly change it again after all his hard work. I actually feared that I might be insulting him by sending the design to you so soon. I hope that if you ever do use it, that Fitzroy is cool with it.

I just thought I'd send it to you though.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Thanks for the release.

How this UPS patch work on bsnes after set the path? I left it disabled for now. I'm using your Tsukuyomi UPS.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
byuu

Post by byuu »

Couldn't think of a good way of doing that. The statusbar can be configured to display text in any format people want, so I can't just append some random character somewhere. And if I did, that'd be pretty vague.

Ideally, it's something where you'd want text to appear inside the emulation window for a few seconds and then go away. But I haven't bothered to implement such a thing yet. I'll probably end up having to.
How this UPS patch work on bsnes after set the path? I left it disabled for now. I'm using your Tsukuyomi UPS.
Same as IPS with other emulators. Put romname.smc and romname.ups in the same folder, and it will auto patch. Or you can select the desired folder, say c:\ups, and it will look for c:\ups\romname.ups when you load romname.smc.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

It didn't do anything to the rom. But both ran together like the rom been patch. I don't have to worry about getting a replacement rom which is a good thing. You did a wonderful job byuu on getting both work together. I don't need that Tsukuyomi anymore. :D
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu wrote:
Couldn't think of a good way of doing that. The statusbar can be configured to display text in any format people want, so I can't just append some random character somewhere. And if I did, that'd be pretty vague.

Ideally, it's something where you'd want text to appear inside the emulation window for a few seconds and then go away. But I haven't bothered to implement such a thing yet. I'll probably end up having to.
You can still do that via the status bar.. have it appear for 5-10 seconds, and then let it disappear. I'm not sure why you even have a status bar in the first place if you aren't using it for that purpose.

It's almost as if you hadn't noticed what happens when ZSNES is soft-patching these days...
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
byuu

Post by byuu »

I'm not sure why you even have a status bar in the first place if you aren't using it for that purpose.
To display framerate and game title information.
It's almost as if you hadn't noticed what happens when ZSNES is soft-patching these days...
That, or didn't care. I don't have a raster-based UI, so I don't look to ZSNES v1.xx for inspiration in that regard.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

byuu wrote:
I'm not sure why you even have a status bar in the first place if you aren't using it for that purpose.
To display framerate and game title information.
My point is that you have plenty of space left for displaying more information (unless the ROM name is insanely long, but that's a different story).
Dullaron wrote:It didn't do anything to the rom. But both ran together like the rom been patch. I don't have to worry about getting a replacement rom which is a good thing. You did a wonderful job byuu on getting both work together. I don't need that Tsukuyomi anymore. :D
You know, that's what soft-patching is.

The app is still required for other uses.. some people still prefer to hardpatch and it's not going to be pretty when you have to deal with bigger ROMs (that are not SNES related of course).
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Deathlike2 wrote:(unless the ROM name is insanely long, but that's a different story).
Then put it first, durr.
Status bar wrote:Loading: [IPS]energizer_bunny.ips >> [ROM]3dbdfdbf.smc
Marvelous.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Palin
Hazed

Post by Palin »

Many thanks for this release, Byuu.

Not sure what did it, but one of your optimizations has made hires mode much faster for me. I can run all of my games with frame skip turned off now.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Deathlike2 wrote:You know, that's what soft-patching is.

The app is still required for other uses.. some people still prefer to hardpatch and it's not going to be pretty when you have to deal with bigger ROMs (that are not SNES related of course).
Yea I thought it not a hard-patch. Soft-patch is where bsnes read UPS first and then load the rom.

Hard-patch when the UPS patch over the rom and changes the graphics with other things.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Dullaron wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:You know, that's what soft-patching is.

Yea I thought it not a hard-patch. Soft-patch is where bsnes read UPS first and then load the rom.
Soft patching does not work like that. The ROM is loaded into memory first, then patches the data in memory (with the UPS file data) leaving the original file intact.
Hard-patch when the UPS patch over the rom and changes the graphics with other things.
No, that's not what it means. The ROM file is directly altered on your hard drive, hence the term hard patching.

Graphics/sound/whatever can be changed in a patch, but the difference between whether it is hard or soft is the method of patching.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Ok I'm wrong then.

Anyway I want to know what is the best english patch for Bahamut Lagoon (Japan)?
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Byuu's ;)
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

franpa wrote:Byuu's ;)
He doesn't have one for that game.

Edit. Nevermind what I said about turn Ips into Ups.
Last edited by Dullaron on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
F-3582
Rookie

Post by F-3582 »

Never played that game, did you? ;)
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

F-3582 wrote:Never played that game, did you? ;)
I can't read in Japanese.

I try to use this patch over here at http://www.romhacking.net/trans/280/

Rom fail to load on zsnes and bsnes. I will wait until someone make a better one. Seem broken or getting corrupted after patch. I try 3 different IPS patcher's and all does the same thing so I know it can't be patcher's issue.
F-3582
Rookie

Post by F-3582 »

Look at that last screenshot and you know what we were pointing at...

Anyway, enough TO-ing.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Dullaron wrote:I try to use this patch over here at http://www.romhacking.net/trans/280/

Rom fail to load on zsnes and bsnes. I will wait until someone make a better one. Seem broken or getting corrupted after patch. I try 3 different IPS patcher's and all does the same thing so I know it can't be patcher's issue.
You patched it wrong, since I can get it running perfectly.
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

Clements wrote:
Dullaron wrote:I try to use this patch over here at http://www.romhacking.net/trans/280/

You patched it wrong, since I can get it running perfectly.
I'm using ipsXP 1.11. I done this on other programs as well. It can't be wrong.

1. I select the rom file. (Select the file to patch)

2. I select the ips file. (Ips Patch to use)

3. I patch the rom. (Apply Patch to file)
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

Clements wrote:You patched it wrong, since I can get it running perfectly.
i also hardpatch it, and it works. i use ZSnes to run it.
hmm, perhaps header/no-header thingy?

anyway, this the nsrt of working patchable roms, (J) of course

Code: Select all

NSRT v3.4 - Nach's SNES ROM Tools

---------------------Internal ROM Info----------------------
       File: Bahamut Lagoon (J).sfc
       Name: Bahamut Lagoon           Company: Square
     Header: None                        Bank: HiROM
Interleaved: None                        SRAM: 64 Kb
       Type: Normal + Batt                ROM: 24 Mb
  ROM Speed: 120ns (FastROM)         Revision: 1.0
   Checksum: Good 0xB856            Game Code: AXBJ