bsnes v0.031 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

Hello! Here is the first version of my french translation for bsnes.
http://kuro-hitsuji.net/~tukuyomi/stuff/locale.cfg
I'll improve it later on, but I'm off for today. Of course, feel free to correct any mistakes :)
byuu

Post by byuu »

Thanks a bunch! It's missing "Ok", should that just be left as-is (eg display as "Ok"), or should we use "D'accord" or something?
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

byuu wrote:Thanks a bunch! It's missing "Ok", should that just be left as-is (eg display as "Ok"), or should we use "D'accord" or something?
This is probably just nitpicking, but in the Dutch translation I've just used 'OK' with both capitals. I usually see it this way in most applications.

Please, carry on :)
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

FitzRoy wrote:But power cycle isn't going to tell them. We on these forums are going to have to answer the inquiries its existence generates (presuming they bother, it may just cause them to wonder). If it was something important, I'd be delighted, but chances are they just wasted time registering to find out something which doesn't affect them. So in this case, ignorance is bliss, because it honestly isn't that important for them to know. What are they going to do after finding out that soft reset doesn't clear out certain sections of ram? Nothing. 99.999% of games don't act any different with a soft reset. If they have the desire to know this behavior, they'll find it on a gamefaq or something for a game which does have quirks. Better that than here.
I have to say I've come to agree with FitzRoy on this. If useful for development purposes, technically there's already a key binding option for it anyway, even if it's unassigned by default. I thought it might be useful for TASing in a distant future, but you don't need a visible option for that either, just a key binding for convenience.
Snark
Trooper

Post by Snark »

byuu wrote:Thanks a bunch! It's missing "Ok", should that just be left as-is (eg display as "Ok"), or should we use "D'accord" or something?
Excellent work tukuyomi.

I would use "D'accord" just to say you're using actual French, although "Ok" is obviously common usage. I never used any OSs in French to be honest. so I'm not familiar with the most commonly used conventions for ok/cancel/abort/retry and stuff like that.

Few nitpicks:

"Insérer un jeu spécial" sounds a bit weird imo. If you translate it back to English: "Insert A special game"... "Insérer jeu spécial" would be much closer, but maybe some will argue it's grammatically incorrect in French.

"Autoriser/ignorer les entrées" ("allow/ignore inputs") could be more clear imo. "Entrées" is more general in French than "Inputs" is in English. So perhaps specify what kind of "entries" are we talking about.

In any cases, the differences it makes is negligible obviously.
DataPath
Lurker

Post by DataPath »

Snark wrote:"Autoriser/ignorer les entrées" ("allow/ignore inputs") could be more clear imo. "Entrées" is more general in French than "Inputs" is in English. So perhaps specify what kind of "entries" are we talking about.
Perhaps base the translation off the word "controls", rather than "inputs". That might give you a better french equivalent.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

tukuyomi wrote:Hello! Here is the first version of my french translation for bsnes.
http://kuro-hitsuji.net/~tukuyomi/stuff/locale.cfg
I'll improve it later on, but I'm off for today. Of course, feel free to correct any mistakes :)

Code: Select all

"Scale 1x" = "Zoom 1x"
"Scale 2x" = "Zoom 1x"
"Scale 3x" = "Zoom 1x"
"Scale 4x" = "Zoom 1x"
"Scale 5x" = "Zoom 1x"
Um...
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Hatsuyuki »

I made the Russian translation: http://www.wikifortio.com/385366/locale_rus_v031.cfg
byuu, could you send me a link to v032 WIP?
Some things can only be seen when you've lost everything
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

@Byuu: "OK" or "Ok" is fine, I never seen "d'accord" on any french UI. Still, do I have to add it to the next locale.cfg? I added it anyways, under "Unsupported chip detected".

@Snark: "Insérer un jeu spécial" sure is weird :D ... Considering none of these were released in Europe, it was hard to translate (specially "Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge"). So I replaced this with "Insérer...", but I'm not really ok with this... Maybe "Autres [actions]"..?

@Snack & DataPath: Sure this one was tricky actually... so simple in english, yet really hard to translate and not much room for long words... I went with
"Quand la fenêtre d'émulation n'a pas le focus:"
(o) "Lui laisser les contrôles" ( ) "Ignorer les contrôles"
I later replaced "Configuration des Périphériques" with "Configuration des contrôles" for more consistency. Other thoughts?

@Nach: I copied/pasted too quickly, good catch ^^... sorry :oops: never'll happen again

All in all, here is the new locale, hope you'll enjoy it: http://kuro-hitsuji.net/~tukuyomi/stuff/locale.cfg
Last edited by tukuyomi on Wed May 21, 2008 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

tukuyomi wrote:Considering any of these
You want 'none' there... -_-
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

Edited, thanks! My english is not véry :P accurate
Hatsuyuki

Post by Hatsuyuki »

Russian translation update
http://www.wikifortio.com/409708/locale_rus_v031a.cfg
* Improved translation quality
* Shortened some strings
Some things can only be seen when you've lost everything
byuu

Post by byuu »

Thank you everyone for the translations! I've also posted a new WIP, with an improved Japanese locale. No changes to the strings that anyone has to worry about with theirs.

To strike a compromise, I've removed power cycle from the menu by default, and added a new config file option, "advanced.enable". Set to false initially, but if you set it to true and restart, power cycle will re-appear. I intend to use this option to hide the debugger functionality if and when that gets re-added, as well. Plus we can remove other questionably useful / confusing stuff this way. The key binding for it still shows up (removing it there would be tricky), but it's not bound to anything by default, either. Sound fair?

Also, something I've been meaning to do for a while now ... unload/reset/power cycle are now disabled when a cartridge is not loaded.
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

About the powercycle option and the reset button:

On real hardware i really do have to mix the usage of both, the only reason for this is because i use a Wildcard DX, the only other time i would hard reset is if a game has crashed in such a way that the reset function no longer works correctly.

Unlike the Genesis i have never heard of any games that actually use startup states for ingame events, and even most of the genesis games rely on the reset and not on the powercycle.

If we really wanted to keep the powercycle option replacing it with "Reload Cart" would probably be more clear in its meaning. Reset is very obvious as the hardware even says RESET on the button itself.

I think the hide/unhide through advanced options is a good solution, it should be easy to unhide if a real purpose for end users if ever found

-----------------------

Some ideas for the dutch translation:

"Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge" = "Laad BS-X Sleuf Cassette" of
"Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge" = "Laad BS-X Gleuf Cassette"

"Unload Cartridge" = "Verwijder Cassette"

"Point" = "Punt"

Invert colors" = "Negatief"
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

tetsuo55 wrote:Unlike the Genesis i have never heard of any games that actually use startup states for ingame events
The ending of Chrono Trigger can only be interrupted by Reset or Power Cycle. Reset keeps the data that is necessary for New Game+.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Dullaron
Lurker

Post by Dullaron »

About the translations. Are there going to be a option to change English to Japanese or what ever? Be kind of like Windows.
Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit / Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.40Ghz / 3.00 GB RAM / Nvidia GeForce 8500 GT
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Another good thing about power cycle being gone is you guys don't have to translate it anymore... lol. But no, nobody's going to miss it when it's gone. A manual reload of a rom might take 8 seconds in a directory with hundreds of roms, but you could actually cut that to 3 in the niche developer use of reloading a rom over and over by putting it in its own directory. So 3 seconds vs 1. Oh no!

I hope that choosing to seek localization this early doesn't backfire in the sense that menu stuff is still getting changed and added. I mean, at some point when multitap and mouse are supported, input selection is probably going to be added to the settings menu (it certainly makes more sense there than the video settings which really don't change game to game).
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

tetsuo55 wrote:Some ideas for the dutch translation:

"Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge" = "Laad BS-X Sleuf Cassette" of
"Load BS-X Slotted Cartridge" = "Laad BS-X Gleuf Cassette"

"Unload Cartridge" = "Verwijder Cassette"

"Point" = "Punt"

Invert colors" = "Negatief"
Some good ideas there; I like the last one - simple but effective. Oh, and I prefer 'Gleuf' to 'Sleuf' personally, never heard of the latter. I was thinking along the lines of 'Gegleufde' which is terribly awkward, but it seems simple is best.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Another good thing about power cycle being gone is you guys don't have to translate it anymore...
It's still in the input config list for UI key bindings, and you can still unhide it, so yes, still needs to be translated. Of course, it shouldn't be hard. Just call it "power". If your language doesn't have a word for that, then your country probably doesn't have computers.
I hope that choosing to seek localization this early doesn't backfire in the sense that menu stuff is still getting changed and added.
Ever since bsnes started, lots of UI options have changed in every single release. I don't think it's ever going to really stabilize. There's way too many things such that I'll never get around to adding them all.

But I figure we can re-use most of the localizations in new releases. Much easier than starting from scratch, right?
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

Speaking of localizations, what the difference between localizations and translation?
I can "barely" understand it in english, but in french, although both words exist, "Localization by: byuu" would be better written as "Translated par: tukuyomi". Thoughts?
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

tukuyomi wrote:Speaking of localizations, what the difference between localizations and translation?
Wikipedia wrote:Localization is the process of adapting software for a specific region or language by adding locale-specific components and translating text.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... calization
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

Wanting to release this weekend. I'll just grab the most recent versions of every locale and post those. We can always update them after v032's release.
Speaking of localizations, what the difference between localizations and translation?
Well, a localization refers to everything: language, currency symbol, metric vs imperial, preferred date format, etc.

For bsnes, translation is just as appropriate. I just used locale because it sounds better than translation.cfg.

You can use "Translated by tukuyomi" if you like.
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

@Byuu, nevermind, using the link from creaothceann, I was able to find a better word ;)
You can grab my latest locale here, as always: http://kuro-hitsuji.net/~tukuyomi/stuff/locale.cfg

Some more informations about localization and the damn complex french ¬_¬:
Byuu does the "internationalisation" -localization- (L10n) while us do "régionalisation" -localization again, yes!-
Voilà^^
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

tukuyomi wrote:damn complex
damn shitty
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

byuu wrote:Wanting to release this weekend. I'll just grab the most recent versions of every locale and post those. We can always update them after v032's release.
Yes! Another awesome release!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...