bsnes v0.034 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
tetsuo55
Regular

Post by tetsuo55 »

Personally i do think the SNES and PC words clear some things up.

There is a lot of unused space in that screen that could be used for more/better explenation like fitz suggested.

I just tried this wip on my athlonXP. Man is it great to have no tearing on a 40" full-hd panel, even if im getting 40fps on average with frameskip off.

That brings me to another question(that will not delay the release)
My TV is calibrated using a spider to BT709. All SD video content is automatically converted to BT709 from BT60?

Now i assume the Snes output was BT60? At what colorspace does bsnes output?
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

tetsuo55 wrote:Personally i do think the SNES and PC words clear some things up.
So if it was just input and output frequency, people would think it was the SNES outputting music and the PC inputting it? Input and output sufficiently differentiate the two frequencies. Just like we don't need "PC program volume," all we need is Volume. You can infer the obvious and save a mouthful in every reference to it.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

FitzRoy wrote:Inconsistency:

-"PC" and "SNES" are not necessary additions, they're both technically happening on the PC.

-results show that nobody has come close to needing a positive Input frequency adjust. Why not make the range -200 to 0?
I agree. For even more consistancy, "adjust" should be removed and they should read:

"Output frequency:"

"Input frequency:"

I also agree the range should be from -200 to 0. I just don't see any scenario where someone will need to go to the plus side of 32000 with the current implementation.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

"adjust" would be necessary if it's not displaying actual frequencies, but a measurement away from one, so byuu is right on that one (although I'm not sure why he doesn't affix "hz" to the value, because that's what the unit is). I think he did that because it was unclear before where you were from the base value (32040hz). This doesn't explicitly tell you the base value, but it does tell you where you are from it.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

*sigh* How about not restricting the user's power, but adding a button to the dialogs that just opens the manual at the appropiate section? :?
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

creaothceann wrote:*sigh* How about not restricting the user's power, but adding a button to the dialogs that just opens the manual at the appropiate section? :?
Very few things are not self-explanatory. And there's nothing powerful about being able to do something that can only hurt or confuse you. It's more effective to disallow those things than to allow them and give a manual on how to avoid it.
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

If you -really- want to change the setting to something weird, perhaps allow that through the advanced options, then gray out the slider as long as the value is invalid. You know you're not supposed to mess with it like that, so it's your own risk.
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

I remember the problem I was having with automatic synchronization adjustment: the program would get fooled when occasional random processes took lots of time (like more than 1/60 second) from the emulator. No matter how much it adjusted its "skew", such occasional interruptions will always cause a reduction in audio data in the buffer and a video frame to be displayed for twice as long. The program wouldn't be able to distinguish these underruns from ones caused by not generating enough samples per frame, so it would keep increasing the samples per frame/pitch. (would have posted in the vsync thread, but that's mysteriously locked)
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

May have found a bug. Kawasaki Superbike Challenge (US version at least) has two out of place red pixels on the first screen.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc17 ... it/red.jpg

I'm guessing this happens on real hardware, but I have no copier to test it with.

Edit: Happens on the European version as well.
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:If you -really- want to change the setting to something weird, perhaps allow that through the advanced options, then gray out the slider as long as the value is invalid. You know you're not supposed to mess with it like that, so it's your own risk.
I don't even know what we're arguing about at this point. Put what in the advanced area? The ability to set latency to 0 and crash the program one second after it starts so that you have to find out where the cfg is stored, unhide the folder, and delete it like I had to do in wip3? Or how about a positive frequency value, so you can go from a working value to one that's guaranteed to sound like shit? There's no usefulness to a user here, advanced or otherwise.
blargg wrote: (would have posted in the vsync thread, but that's mysteriously locked)
It was me. This latest wip was posted here and people continued vsync discussion from that thread to this one, so people were discussing the same thing in two threads.
I.S.T. wrote:May have found a bug. Kawasaki Superbike Challenge (US version at least) has two out of place red pixels on the first screen.
Nah, but you ought to get a copier if you're serious about testing. I really don't have the time to test all the little oddities out there that don't strike me as being logically possible bugs.

And what did you do, skip Firepower 2000? I was waiting for you to post that one.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

I'm only testing games just this once(The header detection was changed, remember?), as I don't have a copier nor the knowledge needed for most of bsnes tests done. After I get done with this, i'm stopping simply because I wouldn't be able to help otherwise. :?

Edit: Nevermind. I should know not to start projects well beyond what I am capable of...
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Yeah, it wasn't likely to break anything, but A through K is certainly a good assurance.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

This post is unnecessary, but it's happening anyway. Skim over it if you weren't in the split off discussion about sound bugs. If you need to imagine me speaking this to get my emotion, I'm sounding cool, calm, collected and chipper. Good!

The comment I made in said thread apparently came off as... I'm not sure. Catty? Incredibly sarcastic? Not sure. Anyhoo, I was messing around, as one may do on the old series of tubes, and as was mentioned in the last post, was not around prior to the splitting off of the discussion at hand. So my comment about fitzroy's posts being gone was a legitimate observation, as I did think it was funny (by the same token, as it had been blatantly split, I also was more than aware that no matter how you split it off, it was going to look amusing). So that was all, I'm not sure you thought I meant something by it, but just confirming that this was the case. Split-off threads always look a bit weird no matter how you slice 'em.

My only other point would be directed at the youth firebrand. I can't tell on the tubes, but I'm under the impression you think I'm antagonizing you. This simply could not be farther (further?) from the truth. I made one post asking you to observe your edit button, and one defending the merits of a person on this board. Besides that, I have absolutely no reason to feel any particular emotion at all towards you (at this point in time). Hopefully in the future any general comments I make will not be interpreted by you as a personal attack, because as much as I love to write, I simply couldn't make that much time in my day to write more of these. Like I said before, I personally appreciate the work you've been doing to test out the new sync options, and subsequently find bugs if they come up (which, interestingly enough, is pretty much what king of chaos was doing in the aforementioned split-off discussion). Anyway, no hard feelings on the whole me-sharing-my-opinion-and-you-getting-mad-i-think, I hope.

That's all, sorry to clutter this thread, but the other one was obviously locked at this point, and I figured I should smooth things out if I could. Sounds like we're getting a new release (and thus a new thread) in a while anyway.
I bring the trouble.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

No worries mate, though you'll need to be decently older to refer to me as a "youth". My arthritis and IBS claim otherwise :wink:
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

FirebrandX wrote:IBS ... :wink:
TMI, no matter what age.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Haha, sorry, couldn't resist that one. I'll be sure to respect my elders more in the future (har har).
I bring the trouble.