bsnes v0.035 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
funkyass
"God"

Post by funkyass »

Franky wrote:
That's absurd. Every single SFX and SA-1 game is 1000 orders of magnitude better than all other SNES games combined. It's not even worth having SNES emulation without SFX or SA-1 support, as not a single plain SNES game is worthwhile in the slightest.
I win at the internet is seriouz bizness!!!
Does [Kevin] Smith masturbate with steel wool too?

- Yes, but don’t change the subject.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Hey, was there ever an issue with vsync when only syncing to audio, fullscreen and scale 5x under Windows?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Well, I don't know what you mean by 'an issue', but bsnes didn't respect VSync at all in the past (if you forced it to, this lead to audio crackling)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Franky wrote:Yep, the following games (and these are off the top of my head) are worthless:
(List)
You kinda forgot tales of awful and barf ocean
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

7557376677!
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by franpa »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:Well, I don't know what you mean by 'an issue', but bsnes didn't respect VSync at all in the past (if you forced it to, this lead to audio crackling)
I meant in reagards to the first horizontal line being wrong under the circumstances I mentioned.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Bsnes now synchronises with video and audio (assuming you enabled both options, of course). What this means is that it will wait for video to enter VBlank before Presenting, thereby avoiding randomly bisecting the screen with the next frame (the tearing you'd see on previous versions). However, this means it only has a small window (~0.5ms) to present the Video, and especially if it's still busy synchronising audio as VBlank begins, this means it might be just a little too late. This means the monitor has already begun drawing, and the data it's using will change suddenly near the top of the screen, leading to the effect seen with max scaling (if the image fills only a part of the screen, bsnes has more time to present the image before the monitor starts to draw it).
ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Verdauga Greeneyes wrote:Bsnes now synchronises with video and audio (assuming you enabled both options, of course). What this means is that it will wait for video to enter VBlank before Presenting, thereby avoiding randomly bisecting the screen with the next frame (the tearing you'd see on previous versions). However, this means it only has a small window (~0.5ms) to present the Video, and especially if it's still busy synchronising audio as VBlank begins, this means it might be just a little too late. This means the monitor has already begun drawing, and the data it's using will change suddenly near the top of the screen, leading to the effect seen with max scaling (if the image fills only a part of the screen, bsnes has more time to present the image before the monitor starts to draw it).
I still have bsnes .034 (which doesn't have vsync), and on linux+xv, I get no tearing whatsoever. xv itself is basically a vsync option.

EDIT: I'd also like to point out that I use OSS4, not alsa.
Last edited by ZH/Franky on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Linux sound APIs tend to handle buffer under-runs much more gracefully than Windows / DirectSound, but v035 will still sound better by (hopefully) not having any.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Well, this is bad ...

http://pc11.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/software/1218035650/

Post #110 mentions the bug where bsnes crashes when you have multi-byte characters in the path name. The poster mentions, "…bsnesの作者、日本嫌いになったか?" -- "... does the bsnes author hate Japan?"

Ugh, I certainly didn't expect my laziness to send that kind of message ... >.>
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

They should use the language of success: English.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:Ugh, I certainly didn't expect my laziness to send that kind of message ... >.>
Xenophobics find their excuses anywhere, you know. You shouldn't worry about that.

As if japan was the only country with multibyte charsets, heh.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

What's worse is it's the second or third time I've seen that now.

You'd think my name, the old site bitmap with Japanese in it, and the Japanese locales would make it pretty clear that I have no qualms with Japan. Now the French, however ... heheh, just kidding ;)

Anyway, I kind of sort of have a workaround now, but it's pretty nasty.

GetOpenFileNameA does me no good at all. I get back ???s for Unicode. Can't open the file, can't display the name.

With GetOpenFileNameW, I get the name properly in wchar_t, and I can read files with it using _wfopen. But hiro was designed to work with UTF-8 only.

So, the only thing I can think of is to wrap all instances of fopen() with a special routine that converts UTF-8 to Unicode/UTF-16/UCS-2/whatever the fuck, and use _wfopen. But only on Windows.

The next problem is that ZIP / GZ support uses fopen() internally, and JMA uses std::ifstream internally. Both expect const char* filenames. The former can use _wfopen, and the latter std::ifstream foo(_wfopen()). Both extremely non-portable.

I really don't want to dig into those libraries to patch them. And I don't have permission to modify JMA, anyway.

But ... I can at least stop the crashing on loading the config files and uncompressed ROMs.

I'll put a release together with that and the HDMA fix, I suppose.
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

byuu wrote:With GetOpenFileNameW, I get the name properly in wchar_t, and I can read files with it using _wfopen. But hiro was designed to work with UTF-8 only.

So, the only thing I can think of is to wrap all instances of fopen() with a special routine that converts UTF-8 to Unicode/UTF-16/UCS-2/whatever the fuck, and use _wfopen. But only on Windows.
Why are you using fopen anyway? Just write your own functions that take care of these things.
byuu wrote:The next problem is that ZIP / GZ support uses fopen() internally, and JMA uses std::ifstream internally. Both expect const char* filenames. The former can use _wfopen, and the latter std::ifstream foo(_wfopen()). Both extremely non-portable.

I really don't want to dig into those libraries to patch them. And I don't have permission to modify JMA, anyway.

But ... I can at least stop the crashing on loading the config files and uncompressed ROMs.
Contact the authors. And maybe the problem can be solved by converting the path into its short equivalent (GetShortPathName / PathGetShortPath).
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

Buy them hooked on phonics.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

byuu wrote: The next problem is that ZIP / GZ support uses fopen() internally, and JMA uses std::ifstream internally. Both expect const char* filenames. The former can use _wfopen, and the latter std::ifstream foo(_wfopen()). Both extremely non-portable.

I'm making a class to handle all kinds of issues. When using libstdc++, it'd be possible to use any built in OS function that returns a FILE * or file descriptor to build the class: http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc++ ... 2ch38.html

I could easily add for Windows to use a wchar_t * / wstring open call which wraps to using _wopen() to get an fd to build upon.

The issue is how to make it work on all kinds of other OSs, and having it wrap around other source classes when not using libstdc++. Most C++ libs though offer some kind of way to use a file descriptor to initialize the stream. I'd be happy to make my lib around all the other popular stuff out there, given I can test it.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by kode54 »

Does any platform besides Windows even special cases for Unicode? Oh yeah, maybe OS X.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

kode54 wrote:Does any platform besides Windows even special cases for Unicode? Oh yeah, maybe OS X.
OS X is UTF-8 file names, so you can use char * with everything.