bsnes v0.035 released

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
byuu

bsnes v0.035 released

Post by byuu »

byuu.org wrote:This release adds vsync support, improved header detection and many new configuration options. Many thanks go to I.S.T. for extensively testing the new header detection for regressions.

Changelog:

* Added video synchronization support at long last [blargg, byuu]
* Added audio panel to control volume, latency, frequency and SNES input frequency settings
* Added driver panel to select APIs to use for video, audio and input
* Added crash handler for driver initialization
* Xv and SDL video drivers now work with compositing enabled on Linux/Xorg
* Improved ALSA audio driver for Linux
* Now using a fixed output frequency, along with a 4-tap hermite resampler
* Improved header detection; fixes Batman: Revenge of The Joker and a few fan translations
* Frameskip will now randomly choose a frame in each set to display; helps with animations
* Locales now support meta-data, which allows for unique translations of the same English input
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Nice!
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Great job, perhaps the perceived performance problems I was having, where caused by the lack of proper vsyn in BSNES?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
tukuyomi
Rookie

Post by tukuyomi »

As always, Congratulations for all the new stuff, byuu :)

http://kuro-hitsuji.net/~tukuyomi/stuff ... french.zip
Here is the updated french locale that fits with this new release!
I.S.T.
Zealot

Re: bsnes v0.035 released

Post by I.S.T. »

byuu wrote:
byuu.org wrote:This release adds vsync support, improved header detection and many new configuration options. Many thanks go to I.S.T. for extensively testing the new header detection for regressions.

Changelog:

* Added video synchronization support at long last [blargg, byuu]
* Added audio panel to control volume, latency, frequency and SNES input frequency settings
* Added driver panel to select APIs to use for video, audio and input
* Added crash handler for driver initialization
* Xv and SDL video drivers now work with compositing enabled on Linux/Xorg
* Improved ALSA audio driver for Linux
* Now using a fixed output frequency, along with a 4-tap hermite resampler
* Improved header detection; fixes Batman: Revenge of The Joker and a few fan translations
* Frameskip will now randomly choose a frame in each set to display; helps with animations
* Locales now support meta-data, which allows for unique translations of the same English input
I got mentioned in the readme of an emulator! I've got it made now! ;)
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Does anyone else miss the slider style for adjusting the sync options? I found them more intuitive in a way, and quicker to adjust.
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's called advanced mode for a reason :P
It gives you the ability to shoot yourself in the foot, eg set volume to 800%, frequency to 192khz, and do do fun things like run PAL games 20% too fast so you get smooth audio and video that's transparent to the games themselves.

The sliders have severe range restrictions, and are thus only shown in standard UI mode. Set advanced.enable back to false if you prefer the sliders.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Ah my bad, the advanced mode was flagged from a previous version. Thanks!
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

I struggle to notice any "audio lag" at the default settings, which just goes to show how much effort everyone put in to make it work great :P
Last edited by franpa on Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Hunter

Post by Hunter »

Updated brazilian portuguese locale:

http://www.mediafire.com/?miqlip3jrta
GeertJan

Post by GeertJan »

Nice work on getting new releases out byuu!

One problem I'm having with 0.035:

I use OpenGL and I have vsync turned on in my NVidia settings, so on 0.034 this gave me a nice smooth display with no tearing. However, with bsnes 0.035 trying to vsync by itself (even when I still have vsync turned on in my NVidia settings) something seems to go wrong, because I DO get tearing!

I think this has to do with my LCD TV being connected to my video card too. bsnes is probably syncing up to that display instead of my monitor. So I should just turn off vsync in bsnes, and let my NVidia drivers handle it. The problem is though, I can't turn off vsync in bsnes, because the option is "grayed out".
byuu

Post by byuu »

The section specifically says capabilities -- (un)checking those wouldn't make a whole lot of sense ;)

You turn off vsync under the menubar -> Settings -> Emulation Speed -> Sync Video. Be sure to move around "Frequency Adjust", too.

Oh, and nvidia-settings doesn't save your OpenGL vsync preference. You have to run it each time you boot into Xorg, as it defaults to force-disable for all apps. Again, I really wish I knew what the nvidia-linux devs were thinking when they designed shit like this.
Nekokabu

Post by Nekokabu »

Japanese locale file update:)
http://nekokabu.s7.xrea.com/locale.zip
英語苦手だっつーの!
GeertJan

Post by GeertJan »

byuu wrote:The section specifically says capabilities -- (un)checking those wouldn't make a whole lot of sense ;)

You turn off vsync under the menubar -> Settings -> Emulation Speed -> Sync Video. Be sure to move around "Frequency Adjust", too.
Ahh right, sorry misunderstood how that worked.

However, I tested again, and it seems bsnes is now always syncing up to my TV, instead of my monitor, no matter if I turn vsync on or off.

EDIT: To elaborate: when I use nvidia-settings to force vsync, I always use the option "Allow Flipping". When I enable that option, all (full screen) OpenGL programs are synced on both my monitor and my TV. I don't know exactly what this "Allow Flipping" means, but it works. But now, since bsnes tries to vsync, somehow the "Allow Flipping" option seems to be negated and I can't get bsnes to sync up to my monitor anymore.
byuu wrote:Oh, and nvidia-settings doesn't save your OpenGL vsync preference. You have to run it each time you boot into Xorg, as it defaults to force-disable for all apps. Again, I really wish I knew what the nvidia-linux devs were thinking when they designed shit like this.
I know. :)
But I added the "nvidia-settings -l" command to my Startup Programs so I always have vsync enabled.

Uh, and oh yeah, I'm using Linux, forgot to mention hehe...
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

byuu wrote:The section specifically says capabilities -- (un)checking those wouldn't make a whole lot of sense ;)
The problem is, checking them doesn't make sense either because capabilities can't be enabled or disabled, they're attributes. Whether you exercise them or not is another matter. So who's to say someone won't see the checkbox and erroneously think that it reflects its usage status in bsnes?

Just remove this "informational" stuff. It looks like you were driven to put them in there chiefly to fill up what would have been empty, because the only thing that gets unchecked is from the lesser Linux APIs, and the people who use them are probably well aware of their drawbacks. Let this be a lesson to all the "harmless bloat" theorists. Even I didn't see this coming, but I understand it now that it has.
ShadowFX
Regular

Post by ShadowFX »

New Dutch translation file for v0.035 ready:

Download!
[i]"Change is inevitable; progress is optional"[/i]
Hatsuyuki

Post by Hatsuyuki »

Some things can only be seen when you've lost everything
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
byuu

Post by byuu »

Thank you all for the updated locales, including the ones from PM :D
I'll try and get them all in an update shortly.
exdeath

Post by exdeath »

its not the time to remove some things from the FAQ and Compatibility/Feature Status (v0.035) thread, like the super multitape list since bsnes has them??
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

exdeath wrote:its not the time to remove some things from the FAQ and Compatibility/Feature Status (v0.035) thread, like the super multitape list since bsnes has them??
Nope, the list of what games actually use what stays. It is extremely informative.
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

Love the new release. I didn't have any sound crackles! However, there is one line of horizontal tearing near the top of the screen with video sync enabled and in fullscreen (not sure about windowed.) This seems to be an all too common problem with emulators (BGB...)
byuu

Post by byuu »

Because I display the menubar and allow the GUI and such to be visible, I can't pageflip, so there's not enough time to redraw the entire screen in vblank. You'd think they'd make vblank long enough to blit a full screen worth of data, but whatever. Only workaround is to set one size smaller scale. Lousy, I know :(
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

byuu wrote:...display the menubar and allow the GUI and such to be visible, I can't pageflip, so there's not enough time to redraw the entire screen in vblank...
Wait, excuse the idiotic question, but removing the titlebar and window borders and such would resolve this problem? I mean, it would be a pain I suppose, but since you can disable the menu and the statusbar, could you create a trigger/option to remove everything but the rendered video, kinda like ZSNES shows when not ESC'd.

Or that made no sense, I misinterpreted what you said, and I need to go to bed and stop drinking Yoohoo.
SmartOne
Tool

Post by SmartOne »

gllt wrote:Wait, excuse the idiotic question, but removing the titlebar and window borders and such would resolve this problem? I mean, it would be a pain I suppose, but since you can disable the menu and the statusbar, could you create a trigger/option to remove everything but the rendered video, kinda like ZSNES shows when not ESC'd.
DO IT.