Idea: bsnes logo contest

Archived bsnes development news, feature requests and bug reports. Forum is now located at http://board.byuu.org/
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

excellent pic! I'll get started on some new buttons.
NES NTSC palette file:

http://www.firebrandx.com/downloads/fbx2pal.zip
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

FirebrandX wrote:Image
.... (with the exception of the purple)
just curiousity, where that purple idea came from, why purple after all?

anyway, it seems .png size optimizer that i used sucks, doesn't handle alpha channel properly.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Firebrandx, doesn't bsnes have a controller pic? or is that entirely flat?
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Verdauga Greeneyes
Regular

Post by Verdauga Greeneyes »

Next Gen Cowboy wrote:It has been at least 10 years since I saw an snes controller that pristine.
I thought it was a scan I made of my controller at first, but you're right: not even any scratches.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

The wiki pic was a huge help. I think I've got the button shape spot-on now, and I also improved the button case graphics too:

As for the purple choice, it was just a matter of palette convenience. If you notice, its the next major color after blue in a rainbow. So this way, the colors progress from purple to red correctly.
NES NTSC palette file:

Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

FirebrandX wrote:Image
The button shape looks much better.

Should the blue and green buttons to be reversed, so they approximately match the order of the buttons on the controller?
Also, is there any merit to using one of the fonts used on the the SNES/SFC?

If not changing font, then something needs to happen with the current font or size of the letters. The b is not properly centered on the button, because it has a riser. Maybe decrease font size of all letters so they can be centered along the same line.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
blargg
Regular

Post by blargg »

Could the "b" be on a d-pad, and the "snes" be on the four buttons arranged in a diamond? Something like the following (but not as ASCII art of course)

Code: Select all

--
   |  |              <n>
 --    --     <s>
|    b   |        
 --    --               <s>
   |  |          <e>
    --
gllt
NO VOWELS >:[

Post by gllt »

I like where this is going

I, however, have been thinking of a giant lowercase b

you could line up snes

against the back of the --> b from top to bottom or bottom to top
inside the ring at bottom or top from left to right
outside the ring on top or on bottom from left to right
outside the ring on the right from top to bottom
inside the ring on the right or left from top to bottom
FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

Crayon font on those colors makes me think sesame street or something to do with kids toys. (I guess I'm personally rating these based on which would get me the least amount of funny looks if I sported it in public). Nice lighting on those buttons if you were making a controller, very plastic-like. But I'm still not understanding the controller theme, it looks more like a sideways traffic light now.*

*personal opinion
byuu

Post by byuu »

We can't use any copyrighted images, so the circle one is out anyway.

I'm not sure that I'm crazy about the idea of using buttons for letters ... though the buttons are gorgeous, exceeding even FitzRoy's controller graphic ones, it just doesn't feel right to spell a word that way ...

So far I really like blackmyst's custom protagonist with a sword going across the top of the lowercase "snes".

The only real downside is it lacks a sense of real polish, as using a professional fontface would allow. I also prefer the b with a tiny gash near the middle, rather than missing the bottom left section (though I also like the latter.)

For that, I can find the following three font faces (using VG's Greek letter idea), but none are very close to my ideal font:

They do however leave us room for an overlaying sword ... don't suppose anyone knows of a TTF font that closely matches 'custom'? Or can someone render that in a very clean, simple fashion -- preferably SVG? From there, we can color it, transform it, add a glow to it, etc.

But yeah, if we take advantage of empty space, I want the top right to be the blank area. Don't want to move the b lower, or anything weird like that.
Last edited by byuu on Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

byuu wrote:blackmyst's custom protagonist with a sword
'custom' silent, lefthanded swordwielding protagonist with a floppy hat
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

grinvader wrote:'custom' silent, lefthanded swordwielding protagonist with a floppy hat
We'll call him Fink ;)
(he kinda has to be left-handed, but I'm impartial to the floppy hat.)
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

Based on what blargg and byuu are saying, I might as well just shoot for making a full-on controller graphic instead of a logo. Hell, I've already got the hardest part done of the crosspad, which even fooled Fritzy into thinking it was a photo.

Yeah fuck it, I'm just going to make the most realistic controller I can.
NES NTSC palette file:

byuu

Post by byuu »

Hmm ... want to make a mouse, super scope and justifier while you're at it please? :D

I can't imagine us ever supporting the Lasabirdie or Excitebike, so that should be all we need ...
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

If you'll use them for bsnes, I'd be happy to. 8) You and the others can help direct my progress on them like with the controller graphics. First let me get the controller done and we'll go from there.
NES NTSC palette file:

FitzRoy
Veteran

Post by FitzRoy »

FirebrandX wrote:Hell, I've already got the hardest part done of the crosspad, which even fooled Fritzy into thinking it was a photo.
All you'd have to do is post the source file with all the blending layers, and I'd believe it. The imperfections in the texture seem too random.
byuu wrote:I also prefer the b with a tiny gash near the middle, rather than missing the bottom left section (though I also like the latter.)
Your examples have too much serif action going on, not sure about the l33t speak style either. I think blackmyst made a good choice on all fronts, I'd love to see him straighten it out a bit. The thread is far from over, though.

Also, 4 controller graphics? Seriously, 3 of those have so few buttons that it's impossible to assign them incorrectly. Even if someone managed to draw all 4 with the same consistency, the United States controller looked nothing like the one we're using. Don't subject someone to creating these things, once they put in the tremendous effort involved you won't be able to say no even if many of us think it's an eyesore.
FirebrandX
Trooper

Post by FirebrandX »

FitzRoy wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:Hell, I've already got the hardest part done of the crosspad, which even fooled Fritzy into thinking it was a photo.
All you'd have to do is post the source file with all the blending layers, and I'd believe it. The imperfections in the texture seem too random.
Have you got access to 3DS MAX 2009 64-bit? If so, I can send you the material file directly. The texture on the crosspad is a combination of bump-mapping, fractal noise (for randomness of the bumps), and a bitmap texture of pitted plastic. All of this is assigned as a 3DS Max material file, so you're welcome to use it yourself if you've got access to the above version of the program.

Edit: On 2nd thought, we might be at a misunderstanding. I assumed you meant I just cut-&-pasted a crosspad using photoshop, which I did not. However, I did use a bitmap of pitted plastic in combination with bump-mapping noise to wrap around the crosspad model as I stated above. If that's what you're referring to, then yes of course it does has a photo-realistic texture. But again, the crosspad is fully 3D and casts shadows when lit at angles.
NES NTSC palette file:

ZH/Franky

Post by ZH/Franky »

Why did my post get deleted, ffs?
A flying pig with the word "bsnes" and a snes logo next to it is just as shitty as all the other logos suggested in this thread.
byuu

Post by byuu »

ZH wrote:Why did my post get deleted, ffs?
A flying pig with the word "bsnes" and a snes logo next to it is just as shitty as all the other logos suggested in this thread.
I didn't delete it, but I have no problems with that. Sounds like a fairly insulting thing to do.

If you can make a better logo, go for it. Otherwise, please don't belittle people who are trying their best.

You've always been really nice here ... what's up, man?

(and if whoever did delete it wants to remove this post and the above, fire away.)
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

byuu wrote:You've always been really nice here ... what's up, man?
oh man, you have NO idea.

however I would still like to see the deleted logo of Franky's in question
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
kick
Trooper

Post by kick »

A flying pig with the word "bsnes" and a snes logo next to it
Sounds like a good logo for buta-SNES :D
[i]Have a nice kick in da nutz[/i] @~@* c//
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

I really enjoy blackmyst's, but also very very much like diminish's second picture. Why couldn't it be used, again? It's gorgeous.
I bring the trouble.
byuu

Post by byuu »

Sent off my text to see if it can be vectorized nicely. We'll see what we can do with that, even if we don't end up using it.
DancemasterGlenn wrote:I really enjoy blackmyst's, but also very very much like diminish's second picture. Why couldn't it be used, again? It's gorgeous.
Looks too much like MGS4(?), I suppose.

Yes, there's definitely an elegance to its simplicity.
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

byuu wrote:Yes, there's definitely an elegance to its simplicity.
I think that's definitely what drew me to it. I like that it's essentially a font of its own, since using a normal font feels a little boring/impersonal (no offense to your idea of combining blackmyst's picture with a font, it just feels odd). I think that as-is the logo he drew was a bit messy, but that was just it being a one-off drawing... if it was drawn with neatness in mind, it would probably look a lot sharper (hopefully without losing the charm it has right now).

I wish diminish's words could be combined with blackmyst's Fink (awesome), but the pixel words wouldn't mesh right with the cartoony guy. Bah.

As much as I like diminish's second attempt the best, I'd still nominate his third attempt as well if the second really isn't usable (which I still think it is). It's retro, but definitely sleek enough to be professional. and I like the use of the SNES colors.

Hah. I sound like a fanboy. But I do like it a lot.
I bring the trouble.
diminish

Post by diminish »

It seems hard to find now, but the logo used in promo art or some posters (when official logo wasn't revealed) looked very similarly, if not identical to this (maybe some of you can recall it):
clicky (redone by me sometime ago)
So, yes, that could be called a plagiarism, I think.