Standard Windows GUI In The Future?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

Standard Windows GUI In The Future?

Post by TheCloudOfSmoke »

First post here, so I hope that I don't annoy anyone by asking a question that may have already been asked before, but I wanted to ask if there is any chance that the Windows port of ZSNES will have a regular Windows GUI sometime in the future? I searched and read the FAQ and stickies and I didn't find any information about the subject.

I've always heard that ZSNES is the best out of all of the SNES emulators but I refrained from using it that much because of the annoying GUI. I know that ZSNES is the better emulator and that it receives more frequent updates than Snes9x and I wanted to use it more for my SNES emulation. Usually I'm more into performance than looks, but it gets very irritating to me at times. Especially when using larger windowed modes because the mouse pointer sensitivity is magnified and one slight movement can make the pointer move farther than I want it to and I end up clicking on things that I don’t want to. It also gets very annoying when trying switch to other programs that are running in the background. Those things really take away from the fun when playing games. This is just a suggestion and I thank you guys taking the time to read it.

I would also like say thanks and great job to the devs and everyone behind the scenes of this great emulator and I'm really thankful (as I'm sure that others are too) that the devs are still dedicated to the project just as much as when it first came out.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Especially when using larger windowed modes because the mouse pointer sensitivity is magnified and one slight movement can make the pointer move farther than I want it to and I end up clicking on things that I don’t want to.
There is a mouse sensitivity option in zinput.cfg file. Please use it.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

Alright, well I guess that I got the answers to my question. :roll:

Thanks for the quick response.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

First post here, so I hope that I don't annoy anyone by asking a question that may have already been asked before,
Well, you failed there.
but I wanted to ask if there is any chance that the Windows port of ZSNES will have a regular Windows GUI sometime in the future? I searched and read the FAQ and stickies and I didn't find any information about the subject.
Maybe, but no guarentees there.
I've always heard that ZSNES is the best out of all of the SNES emulators but I refrained from using it that much because of the annoying GUI.
You can disable it and strictly use the command line if it is that annoying. We're sorry that the GUI is consistant on all ports, something a lot of other apps lack across different platforms.
Usually I'm more into performance than looks, but it gets very irritating to me at times.
Well, that's being judgemental for a GUI that functions as intended and doesn't do things behind your back, but I guess that doesn't count.
It also gets very annoying when trying switch to other programs that are running in the background.
I'm sorry that you haven't used the minimize button that is already available in the GUI. I have had zero problems alt-tabbing to other running apps after minimizing ZSNES. Although I cannot say the same for DOS, ZSNES's DOS port behaves like other fullscreen DOS apps... they implode.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

Well, you failed there.
Ok. :roll:
Maybe, but no guarentees there.
This answer is all that I needed to know. Thanks.
You can disable it and strictly use the command line if it is that annoying. We're sorry that the GUI is consistant on all ports, something a lot of other apps lack across different platforms.
Command line? Eww.
Well, that's being judgemental for a GUI that functions as intended and doesn't do things behind your back, but I guess that doesn't count.
Of course it does what it is indended to do, but just in a sluggish way.
I'm sorry that you haven't used the minimize button that is already available in the GUI. I have had zero problems alt-tabbing to other running apps after minimizing ZSNES. Although I cannot say the same for DOS, ZSNES's DOS port behaves like other fullscreen DOS apps... they implode.
I don't use the minimize button unless I want something completely off of the screen but still want to keep it running in the background. What I meant was that I have problems clicking on other windows while ZSNES is still running in the foreground.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

TheCloudOfSmoke wrote:
Command line? Eww.
Hey, that's your alternative or write up your own frontend.
Of course it does what it is indended to do, but just in a sluggish way.
Define sluggish. Only a slow comp will make ZSNES run like crap, but that's not surprising with apps that behave like this either.
I don't use the minimize button unless I want something completely off of the screen but still want to keep it running in the background. What I meant was that I have problems clicking on other windows while ZSNES is still running in the foreground.
Well then, go minimize it first for your own good, how hard is that?
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

I didn't mean the the performance of the emulator was sluggish. I meant that navigating through the emulator itself and configuring different options or trying out different settings in the emulator felt a bit sluggish because of the ZSNES GUI imo. It's you guys' emulator, so it's up to you all what you guys do with it.

Meh, fuck it. I just wanted to know if a Windows GUI was in the works and I already got my answer. Anyways, good luck to you guys.
SonGoku1905
Rookie

Post by SonGoku1905 »

Well, in the past I was also a bit unpleased with the GUI but both because of getting used to it by time and its functionalities made me like it. And since I'm sure that it's unlikely to be changed , how about adding some color schemes to it such as grey/black etc. ?
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

CloudOfSmoke, depending on what kind of features you are looking for, I recommend trying out bsnes: http://www.byuu.org. There is also a thread in the Emulators section of this forum about bsnes.

It has a very nice Windows GUI, and bsnes is one of the most accurate SNES emulators right now.

If you are looking for lots of "features" like savestates, though, don't bother.

And by the way, I totally understand what your saying in terms of wanting a better GUI. However, the ZSNES GUI is something very important that makes ZSNES unique. Having a plain Windows GUI just wouldn't fit with the (in my opinion) unspoken goals that it's fulfilling. If you give ZSNES a chance, you might learn to like it better.

EDIT:
SonGoku1905 wrote:how about adding some color schemes to it such as grey/black etc. ?
Misc Menu -> GUI Opts -> Color section
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

I had a few discussion on several other emulation forums about the best emulators for each systems and bsnes was one of the popular up and coming emulators out there that people liked. It also had a nice, clean and easy to use interface as well. What is the status of bsnes? I heard the byuu was having some difficuties with it. Did he give up the project or is it just on hold for the time being? I did notice that it lacked a few features that are common in most popular emulators but if you think about it, the real SNES never had any of those features anyway. I hope that it still is in development because it really has potential.

Thanks for being more understanding in your response Jipcy. I talked to others and they had the same view on the GUI thing. ZSNES is a great emu and now I'm starting to convert over from Snes9x (I've always used ZSNES off an on for years, but Snes9x was my SNES emulator of choice) because ZSNES has great features and options and every game that I've tried on it personally, runs great. It'll take a bit of time getting used to it though. It would be nice to have the standard GUI as an optional feature (so the people who prefer the regular GUI will be happy too), but I won't hold my breath on it.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

a windowed mode would solve a lot of your problems.

like all the major ones.

the looks gripe is mildly retarded, since if it was a standard windows gui, it would be layed out nearly exactly the same, it's just the font would be nicer.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

TheCloudOfSmoke wrote:What is the status of bsnes? I heard the byuu was having some difficuties with it. Did he give up the project or is it just on hold for the time being? ... I hope that it still is in development because it really has potential.
bsnes is still very much in development. See for yourself on his website or the bsnes thread.
I did notice that it lacked a few features that are common in most popular emulators but if you think about it, the real SNES never had any of those features anyway.
It's refreshing to see that some people have this mindset. I certainly do, and more people should too.
[url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net]Official ZSNES Docs[/url] | [url=http://zsnes-docs.sf.net/nsrt]NSRT Guide[/url] | [url=http://endoftransmission.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=394]Using a Wiimote w/ emulators[/url]
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

sweener2001 wrote:a windowed mode would solve a lot of your problems.

like all the major ones.

the looks gripe is mildly retarded, since if it was a standard windows gui, it would be layed out nearly exactly the same, it's just the font would be nicer.
I run the emulator in windowed mode just about all of the time unless I connect my computer up to my tv through the s-video cable, so that isn't the issue.

Actually it isn't the looks that is bothersome to me, it's the clunkyness of using the mouse when navigating through ZSNES. It feels like my mouse pointer is imprisoned in there and I barely have any control of it. It just does whatever it wants (even when I changed the mouse sensitivity). Like sometimes I minimize the emulator and then all of a sudden the emulator just pops up and then my mouse pointer gets stuck in there. I believe that those problems are a result of the GUI. That's why I made the thread. I usually wouldn't make a thread for such a petty thing like the GUI unless the problem was super annoying to me and possibly others as well.
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

my mouse doesn't move super fast unless i'm in a ridiculously low fullscreen resolution. and that's because of the resolution you're using, not the gui. you have to push a mouse a lot further in 1600x1200 than in 640x480. i run my zsnes in 1280x1024 DS F (same as my desktop), and the mouse moves about the same.

in the gui options under the misc menu, make sure that the trap cursor is unchecked, and the mouse should move freely from and to the zsnes window without any problems.

so far i'm not seeing any real issues here. but i'm also a fan of the zsnes gui, so i'm a bit biased.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

I believe that what the guy is complaining is the lack of keyboard shortcuts to Game/Config/Cheat/Netplay/Misc, and their subitems.

Other than that, the interface is awesome, very intuitive. I think it works better than a standard windows gui, adding a new "feeling", while not looking lame like Genecyst.

BTW Color Schemes are supported, but embedded in the config files instead of standalone. I call mine "Dark Snes" 8)
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

just go "misc -> gui options" and adjust your colours there.

i also like the zsnes gui ever since i discovered this emulator... i find it anything BUT sluggish (in terms of usability) but i can see how someone who would want to make a TAS with it would get pissed with the gui.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Jipcy
Veteran

Post by Jipcy »

Kajuru wrote:I believe that what the guy is complaining is the lack of keyboard shortcuts to Game/Config/Cheat/Netplay/Misc, and their subitems.
You can navigate most of the ZSNES GUI with a keyboard. Please, everybody, read this: http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/html/gui.htm before you say anything else that is factually incorrect.
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

sweener2001 wrote:my mouse doesn't move super fast unless i'm in a ridiculously low fullscreen resolution. and that's because of the resolution you're using, not the gui. you have to push a mouse a lot further in 1600x1200 than in 640x480. i run my zsnes in 1280x1024 DS F (same as my desktop), and the mouse moves about the same.

in the gui options under the misc menu, make sure that the trap cursor is unchecked, and the mouse should move freely from and to the zsnes window without any problems.

so far i'm not seeing any real issues here. but i'm also a fan of the zsnes gui, so i'm a bit biased.
The "Trap Mouse Cursor" option is unchecked but for some reason, it keeps preventing me from doing things outside of the window. Sometimes it stays in and after going frantic trying to click on other things outside of the window, it eventually goes outside of the window.

The mouse sensitivity in the window is proportional to the windowed size of the emulator. Which is another thing that makes it difficult to get used to. Even though you are moving the mouse the same distance as you would would when it is smaller window size, when it's magnified to a larger window size, it seems to go further. For example, at 256x224, the mouse pointer in the window will generally go the same distance and speed as the regular mouse pointer outside of the ZSNES window. But if you change the size to lets say 1024x768 windowed, when you move your mouse the same distance as you did with the 256x224 size it will go about 5x the distance and speed (on screen) of the 256x224 windowed size.

This is just my perspective on the GUI thing since I'm not a constant user of the emulator and I just got into using it more recently and I thought that some others might have the same issues. These things probably aren't noticable to long time users of the emulator though. Oh well, like I said, I'll just get used to it. I don't want to make a "huge" issue about it. I was just putting in my two pennies on the matter. This is the feature requests forum, right? I just wanted to see how others viewed the matter. That's all.

EDIT: Another point that I forgot to mention was that using a Windows GUI would make it easier to navigate to different rom folders (if you have multiple folders where your roms are located) with the "Open File" dialog instead of starting from the C: drive and working all of the way to your rom folders on the desktop or wherever they are located. In other programs in general, all I have to do is go to the drop down box at the top of the "Open File" dialog and go down and bam, I'm in the folder where my files are.
Kajuru
Regular

Post by Kajuru »

Jipcy wrote:
Kajuru wrote:I believe that what the guy is complaining is the lack of keyboard shortcuts to Game/Config/Cheat/Netplay/Misc, and their subitems.
You can navigate most of the ZSNES GUI with a keyboard. Please, everybody, read this: http://zsnes-docs.sourceforge.net/html/gui.htm before you say anything else that is factually incorrect.
That's not what I meant, bud. Also, I never said it's hard to navigate zsnes gui
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

TheCloudOfSmoke wrote:EDIT: Another point that I forgot to mention was that using a Windows GUI would make it easier to navigate to different rom folders (if you have multiple folders where your roms are located) with the "Open File" dialog instead of starting from the C: drive and working all of the way to your rom folders on the desktop or wherever they are located. In other programs in general, all I have to do is go to the drop down box at the top of the "Open File" dialog and go down and bam, I'm in the folder where my files are.
What part of "this is portable" did you not comprehend? I know this is "not as good" as how Windows does it, but you are forgetting that this is used for other ports too.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

TheCloudOfSmoke wrote:EDIT: Another point that I forgot to mention was that using a Windows GUI would make it easier to navigate to different rom folders (if you have multiple folders where your roms are located) with the "Open File" dialog instead of starting from the C: drive and working all of the way to your rom folders on the desktop or wherever they are located. In other programs in general, all I have to do is go to the drop down box at the top of the "Open File" dialog and go down and bam, I'm in the folder where my files are.
the emulator saves the last folder you have been in thus each time you click the "OPEN" item you will start where your ROMs are.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

franpa wrote:
the emulator saves the last folder you have been in thus each time you click the "OPEN" item you will start where your ROMs are.
This is correct. The only instances that this fails to work is if you are loading files from the command line (or associating rom files with ZSNES).

There are other instances where the last rom folder isn't saved to cfg file... sometimes this is caused by the cfg file being read-only (eg. ZSNES being run on a CDROM for instance) or a lack of permissions. If you haven't tried forcing the save config option after loading a rom (Misc->Save CFG), then try it.

In any case, this issue starting from the C: drive all the time is definately related to examples I have provided and not a ZSNES problem.
TheCloudOfSmoke
Rookie

I understand that, it's not that I only have one rom folder. I have multiple folders and you have to "take the long way" when switching to different folders to play different games. I have games on CDs and multiple rom folders located on different parts of my hard drive. So it's not like I stay in one folder. It's not an issue where it always starts from the C: drive. It stays at the last used rom folder. I meant that the drop down list in the "Open File" with a Windows GUI could make going to different folders as easy as clicking once. Like I said, fuck it. Damn, you guys already made your point. I get it. It ain't going to happen.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

c:\roms\bleh

if i load a game from a subfolder there i can just go up 1 level and choose another subfolder, takes a mere 4 clicks to reach the other folder.
DEFIANT
Joystick Jedi

Post by DEFIANT »

[Political Picket Signs]
"SAVE THE GUI!" "DON"T LET THE FACIST REGIMN REMOVE OUR GUI!" "STAND UP, TAKE NOTICE...VOTE!" "KEEP IT OLD SCHOOL!" "TO HELL WITH WINDOWS GUI!"
[/Political Picket Signs]

This concludes my political rant.
[img]http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/2365/pirateuserbartv2.jpg[/img]
E=mc²
"People should not be afraid of their governments, governments should be afraid of their people." -V
[url=http://sc2.sourceforge.net/]The Ur-Quan Masters[/url]