Chrono Trigger Freeze on Character Switch

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

tedbradford
Rookie

Chrono Trigger Freeze on Character Switch

Post by tedbradford »

Bug: Upon exiting the Character Switch screen, ZSNES freezes (black screen of death) about 90% of the time.

I am running Ubuntu Gutsy, and I originally used the ZSNES .deb from the Multiuniverse repository (v1.51 Jun 8, 2007). I was getting the nasty bug, so I decided to compile ZSNES from the latest source code (v1.51 Feb 22, 2008) -- but to no avail; the bug still remains.

Here is the MD5SUM of my ROM:

Code: Select all

$ md5sum ChronoTriggerU.smc 
a2bc447961e52fd2227baed164f729dc  ChronoTriggerU.smc
I've tried a couple different Chrono Trigger ROMs, but all have this same bug thus I'm assuming that this is an issue with ZSNES.

Apparently Dr. Mario is on vacation, so maybe someone else can diagnose the problem? ;)
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

What about SnesGT/Bsnes; the game has no crashes whatsoever. Unless someone can prove that Zsnes doesn't have this issue anymore.
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I've never experienced this problem. Try to compile ZSNES instead of the using the build from the repository.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Re: Chrono Trigger Freeze on Character Switch

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

tedbradford wrote:I am running Ubuntu Gutsy, and I originally used the ZSNES .deb from the Multiuniverse repository (v1.51 Jun 8, 2007). I was getting the nasty bug, so I decided to compile ZSNES from the latest source code (v1.51 Feb 22, 2008) -- but to no avail; the bug still remains.
Assuming he didn't get his source from svn, it looks like he did exactly what you asked...
I bring the trouble.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

i think deathlike wants him to compile 1.51 source.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

tedbradford wrote:so I decided to compile ZSNES from the latest source code (v1.51 Feb 22, 2008)
Again, assuming he didn't use SVN, and he's just saying the date for no reason.
I bring the trouble.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

To be fair, he does need to mention where he got the code from.. SVN or 1.51 source.

The date of compilation is part of the display, that's not a bug or error. However, people need to take note of that so as not to confuse themselves (people have reported "new versions" out of the same code).

I'm not sure as to what to tell you, except compile 1.50 instead.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

DancemasterGlenn wrote:
tedbradford wrote:so I decided to compile ZSNES from the latest source code (v1.51 Feb 22, 2008)
Again, assuming he didn't use SVN, and he's just saying the date for no reason.
SVN would report 1.52.
-> He's not using SVN.

(and yes, that's mostly what the "1.52" version placeholder is for... we should try and sanitize versioning from the next release on...)
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
tedbradford
Rookie

Post by tedbradford »

I compiled v1.51 from source, not SVN.
neo_bahamut1985 wrote:What about SnesGT/Bsnes; the game has no crashes whatsoever. Unless someone can prove that Zsnes doesn't have this issue anymore.
I just installed BSNES and tested out the ROM with it. Guess what? The bug is not there. My only problem now is that BSNES runs ridiculously slow, and it is not anywhere near as elegant as ZSNES.

I guess I'll try compiling v1.50 now. I'll continue to post my results.
tedbradford
Rookie

Post by tedbradford »

Version 1.50 seems to work fine.

EDIT: It seems I spoke too soon... I'm still getting that bug apparently.

EDIT: Tried compiling from SVN, but got a strange error:

moc -o gui/moc_gui.cpp gui/gui.h
make: moc: Command not found
make: *** [gui/moc_gui.cpp] Error 127
*sigh*
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hmm, please post the autogen.sh result. I might have overlooked something and made it possible to try and build without a proper Qt setup.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
tedbradford
Rookie

Post by tedbradford »

grinvader wrote:Hmm, please post the autogen.sh result. I might have overlooked something and made it possible to try and build without a proper Qt setup.

$ sh autogen.sh 
Generating build information using aclocal and autoconf...
checking build system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... i686-pc-linux-gnu
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for C compiler default output file name... a.out
checking whether the C compiler works... yes
checking whether we are cross compiling... no
checking for suffix of executables... 
checking for suffix of object files... o
checking whether we are using the GNU C compiler... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for gcc option to accept ISO C89... none needed
checking for g++... g++
checking whether we are using the GNU C++ compiler... yes
checking whether g++ accepts -g... yes
checking for nasm... nasm
checking for sdl-config... /usr/bin/sdl-config
checking for SDL - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking for zlib - version >= 1.2.3... yes
checking for libpng - version >= 1.2.0... yes
checking if you want libao support... no
checking how to run the C preprocessor... gcc -E
checking for X... libraries , headers 
checking for glGetError in -lGL... yes
checking for OpenGL... yes
checking if you want the zsnes Qt debugger... no
checking for JMA support... yes
checking for cpu info... found
checking if you want gdb friendly executable... no
checking which cpu architecture to optimize for... checking for autodetected architecture... pentium-m
checking if you want crazy optimizations... no
checking for grep that handles long lines and -e... /bin/grep
checking for egrep... /bin/grep -E
checking for ANSI C header files... yes
checking for sys/types.h... yes
checking for sys/stat.h... yes
checking for stdlib.h... yes
checking for string.h... yes
checking for memory.h... yes
checking for strings.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h... yes
checking for unistd.h... yes
checking whether sys/types.h defines makedev... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile
config.status: creating config.h
config.status: config.h is unchanged

ZSNES v1.52 32-bits (without Qt debugger)

SDL support                   Version 1.2.11
NASM support                  NASM version 0.98.38 compiled on Jul 31 2007
zlib support                  Version 1.2.3.3
PNG support                   Yes, version 1.2.15beta5
OpenGL support                Yes
JMA support                   Yes
LibAO support                 No

The binary will be installed in /usr/local/bin

Configure complete, now type 'make' and pray.

$ make
tools/depbuild gcc " -pipe -I. -I/usr/local/include -I/usr/include -D__UNIXSDL__ -I/usr/include/SDL -D_GNU_SOURCE=1 -D_REENTRANT   -D__OPENGL__ -DNO_DEBUGGER -DNDEBUG -march=pentium-m -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -s " nasm " -w-orphan-labels -D__UNIXSDL__ -f elf -DELF -D__OPENGL__ -DNO_DEBUGGER -O1" endmem.o init.o vcache.o ztime.o chips/7110proc.o chips/c4proc.o chips/dsp1proc.o chips/dsp2proc.o chips/dsp3proc.o chips/dsp4proc.o chips/fxemu2.o chips/fxemu2b.o chips/fxemu2c.o chips/fxtable.o chips/obc1proc.o chips/sa1proc.o chips/sa1regs.o chips/sfxproc.o chips/st10proc.o chips/st11proc.o cpu/dma.o cpu/execute.o cpu/irq.o cpu/memory.o cpu/stable.o cpu/table.o cpu/tablec.o gui/guiold.o gui/menu.o linux/sdlintrf.o video/copyvwin.o video/makev16b.o video/makev16t.o video/makevid.o video/mode716.o video/mode716b.o video/mode716d.o video/mode716e.o video/mode716t.o video/mv16tms.o video/m716text.o video/newg162.o video/newgfx.o video/newgfx16.o video/procvid.o video/sw_draw.o video/2xsaiw.o video/hq2x16.o video/hq2x32.o video/hq3x16.o video/hq3x32.o video/hq4x16.o video/hq4x32.o cfg.o initc.o input.o md.o patch.o ui.o version.o zdir.o zloader.o zmovie.o zpath.o zstate.o ztimec.o chips/c4emu.o chips/dsp1emu.o chips/dsp3emu.o chips/dsp4emu.o chips/obc1emu.o chips/sdd1emu.o chips/seta10.o chips/seta11.o cpu/executec.o cpu/memtable.o cpu/zspc/zdsp.o cpu/zspc/zspc.o  effects/burn.o effects/smoke.o effects/water.o gui/gui.o gui/guifuncs.o gui/moc_gui.o jma/7zlzma.o jma/crc32.o jma/iiostrm.o    jma/inbyte.o jma/jma.o jma/lzma.o       jma/lzmadec.o jma/winout.o jma/zsnesjma.o mmlib/mm.o mmlib/linux.o  linux/audio.o linux/battery.o linux/gl_draw.o linux/lib.o linux/safelib.o linux/sdllink.o linux/sw_draw.o linux/x11.o video/procvidc.o video/ntsc.o zip/unzip.o zip/zpng.o > makefile.dep
moc -o gui/moc_gui.cpp gui/gui.h
make: moc: Command not found
make: *** [gui/moc_gui.cpp] Error 127
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I'm curious, but how are you testing the character switch? From a savestate or from loading the in-game saves? If you're using a savestate between versions of the emu, you're not doing yourself any favors. It is much safer to test while loading from an in-game save.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Hmm, I see. Qt test shouldn't rely on debugger flag anymore. Thanks for pointing it out.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

tedbradford
Rookie

Post by tedbradford »

Deathlike2 wrote:I'm curious, but how are you testing the character switch? From a savestate or from loading the in-game saves? If you're using a savestate between versions of the emu, you're not doing yourself any favors. It is much safer to test while loading from an in-game save.
I'm testing this using the SRAM in-game saves.
tedbradford
Rookie

Post by tedbradford »

This bug seems to be fixed with the latest SVN (v1.52). Still puzzles me, though.
neo_bahamut1985
-Burninated-

Post by neo_bahamut1985 »

Ah, that 1.52 SVN dealy is a beta-tester only thing...never mind. Too bad I don't know crap about compiling Zsnes...so, uh, scratch that one..
俺はテメエの倒す男だ! 宜しく! お前はもう死んでいる...
tedbradford
Rookie

Post by tedbradford »

neo_bahamut1985 wrote:Ah, that 1.52 SVN dealy is a beta-tester only thing...never mind. Too bad I don't know crap about compiling Zsnes...so, uh, scratch that one..
Heh, you wouldn't want to use it anyway. It doesn't work with half my ROMs. SVN versions are always dangerous to play with. :P