Kaspersky detected keylogger in zsnes

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

justinrpg
Rookie

Kaspersky detected keylogger in zsnes

Post by justinrpg »

kaspersky detected a keylogger in ZSNES is this a false positive? no other program i used detected that AVG, Defender Pro, Bit defender i used didn't

Kaspersky is supposed to be the best, but the same happened with a couple of other programs too that others said clean
Killa B
♥ Love Freak FlonneZilla ♥

Re: Kaspersky detected keylogger in zsnes

Post by Killa B »

justinrpg wrote:Kaspersky detected a keylogger in ZSNES is this a false positive?
No, there's really a keylogger in zsnes.
User Error: Please replace user
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

The keylogger was put there just to fuck with the people over at Kapersky, yeah.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

well, as long as said program doesn't tried to report "whatever its logs" somewhere over the internetz, i wouldn't concern myself about it.

just curiousity, what routine(s) in zsnes codes that kaspersky interprets as keylogger?
Last edited by Rashidi on Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Isn't the zmv creator like a keylogger?
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Well, kaspersky would have to be real good to detect that since it's not run automatically at launch and it goes through 3 different array layers (one of them os-dependant) to do the ZMV.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
byuu

Post by byuu »

It's being detected as a keylogger because ZSNES uses ManyMouse. ManyMouse uses an API called RawInput to uniquely identify and control different mice individually.

I use the same RawInput API, but without ManyMouse (gives me the same ability with keyboards as well), and I'm also detected as a keylogger because of it.

Executive summary: Kaspersky is snake-oil, FUD-based shit. The developers think there's no legitimate reason to uniquely identify more than one keyboard or mouse, so it just flags any app that does as a keylogger.
Y~K
Hazed

Post by Y~K »

byuu wrote:It's being detected as a keylogger because ZSNES uses ManyMouse. ManyMouse uses an API called RawInput to uniquely identify and control different mice individually.

I use the same RawInput API, but without ManyMouse (gives me the same ability with keyboards as well), and I'm also detected as a keylogger because of it.

Executive summary: Kaspersky is snake-oil, FUD-based shit. The developers think there's no legitimate reason to uniquely identify more than one keyboard or mouse, so it just flags any app that does as a keylogger.
Better safe than sorry. That's why Kaspersky is awesome.

Personally I have set the whole Emulators folder (and its sub folders) to ignore key logger threats, which is very easy to configure in Kaspersky.
Squall_Leonhart
Trooper

Post by Squall_Leonhart »

Any application which hooks input by bypassing DirectInput reports as a keylogger, that includes most emulators....
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/squall_leonhart69r/Final_Fantasy_8/squall_sig1.gif[/img]
[url=http://vba-m.com/]VBA-M Forum[/url], [url=http://www.ngohq.com]NGOHQ[/url]
millerbell

Re:

Post by millerbell »

Y~K wrote:
byuu wrote:It's being detected as a keylogger because ZSNES uses ManyMouse. ManyMouse uses an API called RawInput to uniquely identify and control different mice individually.

Better safe than sorry. That's why Kaspersky is awesome.

Personally I have set the whole Emulators folder (and its sub folders) to ignore key logger threats, which is very easy to configure in Kaspersky.
A keylogger, also known as keystroke logging, is a program installed on your computer unbeknownst to you that logs all key strokes typed into your computer which is then viewed by a third party. Keyloggers are also capable of taking screen captures.
And most importantly, learn the basics about what is the keylogger software.