Earthworm Jim 2 Sound issue

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Wolfenstrike

Earthworm Jim 2 Sound issue

Post by Wolfenstrike »

Hey! I've been using this emulator for a while (like since 2001) and it's quite awesome. Recently that nostalgic bug crawled over my head and I decided to dust off my disc full of roms and download the newest version of this great emulator. I have to say it's really impressive how much progress has been made, and it's almost perfect in every way... well... almost...

The only game I've seen issues of any kind was Earthworm Jim 2, I remember that 10 years ago, the sound was almost perfect, but in this newest version, quite frankly, it's a mess. The graphics emulation is 100% perfect, but without the sound, it's not the same... Is there any way to fix this? or this is a general problem with this game only?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It's a general problem that applies to lots of games with critical timing, since zsnes isn't precise enough. Nothing you can do except use better emulators (or just plain wait, if patience is your virtue) for now.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

Haha, I asked the exact same question 10 years ago.

I suggest using bsnes, if you have a good enough computer. Otherwise, it might be better to just go on ebay and buy a cart of it (which I eventually did).
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

Go buy the PC version ._. contains more levels iirc and works on all "home" oriented versions of Windows since Windows 95c.
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
byuu

Post by byuu »

Nothing you can do except use better emulators (or just plain wait, if patience is your virtue) for now.
Avoid Snes9X v1.52, if you value your hearing.

SNESGT is a good choice here as well. But if you're not on Windows, bsnes is your only shot at the moment :/
Wolfenstrike

Post by Wolfenstrike »

Ok, thanks for the help, I'm avoiding/not getting the PC version, because I've seen in lots of forums that it misses a stage or two, getting the cart (again) would not be an option, 'cause I don't have a SNES since '97 or so (hence why I use the emulator). For now, I'm playing the Genesis version wich quite frankly, sucks... really hard... but it's better than nothing and the game itself is as fun as it ever was, despite the uglyness of the Genesis version.