IPV6 Support for ZSNES Netplay Once the NetCode is Fixed

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Master O
Hazed

IPV6 Support for ZSNES Netplay Once the NetCode is Fixed

Post by Master O »

In the next couple of years, if not sooner, the IPV4 address space is going to be running out and IPV6 will start to be deployed alongside IPV4. (v4 means version 4, v6 means version 6)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipv6

----

What does this have to do with ZSNES?

Well, you need an IP address for netplay, obviously. The problem is that Zsnes Netplay currently uses IPV4 which will soon be running out of addresses.

For those of you unfamiliar with networking, IPV4 addresses generally look like this: 12.10.254.1, while IPV6 addresses consist of hexidecimal - [2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334]

I know that IPV6 implementation is currently very preliminary and that Internet Service Providers like Comcast and Verizon (in the USA anyway) are still testing it, but ZSNES should at least begin looking into how to implement it, once ZSNES's netcode has been sorted out.
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Re: IPV6 Support for ZSNES Netplay Once the NetCode is Fixed

Post by badinsults »

I'm betting that the new IPV6 standard will be rolled out long before the netplay code is fixed.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I imagine IPv6 support would be pretty much a trivial detail compared to the rest of the work that would need to be done.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Master O wrote:IPV4 which will soon be running out of addresses.
Not sure you understand how it works.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Master O
Hazed

Post by Master O »

grinvader wrote:
Master O wrote:IPV4 which will soon be running out of addresses.
Not sure you understand how it works.
I have a basic idea of how it works. You have the IANA and the various RIRs, which delegate IP address blocks to the various continents (and by extension, businesses, corporations, etc) of the world. There have been various reports that less than 10% of IPv4 addresses remain and that they will run out either in 2011 or 2012. IANA's allocations will run out first, then the ones from the various RIRs. It seems like common sense to at least begin looking at the issue.

I'm just making sure that at least IVP6 has been proposed as a feature. That's all.

By the way, keep up the great work on this emulator. I'm sure Zsnes 2.0 will be worth the wait.
[quote="PhobosDK"]I see only
you are not serious
you'll get ignored

I think bad emulation that will be ignored...

We have choice about emulators.
Close your eyes and keep minor bugs update only.[/quote]

Fail....
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I think I'll start to care when my ISP and/or router support it properly. (AT&T Uverse being my ISP, supposedly they are testing it or something and plan to roll it out over the next few years or so. My router is a decent wireless-N/gigabit device based on Atheros parts, and is fully supported by OpenWrt, which supports IPv6, although there is no support for ip6tables in the firewall configuration scripts in the release version yet, and I don't want to run with my router's all interface listening ports visible to the Internet yet. Oh, and I tried it with a tunnel broker and radvd to distribute the /64 range to my internal network, but for some reason, my Windows 7 laptop could not talk to anything with the IPv6 address it assigned itself, not even the router. I'll worry about that shit later.)