ZSNES fails to start

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Geothermal

ZSNES fails to start

Post by Geothermal »

I had been using the emu for a few days, when it ceased to load. Trying to open the program results in no change. No load, no process, nothing happens. I have completely removed all traces of the program using Synaptic and re-installed it, assuming a dir somewhere migh've been corrupted, but it didn't change anything. Nothing caused the problem that I know of, since I saved and closed the game one day like usual, then tried to open it the next day to continue, and nothing happened. Any adivce as to what I can do to fix this?
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Re: ZSNES fails to start

Post by Johan_H »

My only idea is that maybe your antivirus is silently blocking it.
Geothermal

Post by Geothermal »

Sorry, I forgot to mention I'm running this on Linux/Ubunutu, so no anti-virus.

EDIT: Problem has been solved. Turns out the screen resolution had been set a custom size larger than the computer could handle. Fixed it by editing the config file by hand.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Did you try loading it from a terminal?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
badinsults
"Your thread will be crushed."

Post by badinsults »

paulguy wrote:Did you try loading it from a terminal?
Congrats, you just replied to a spambot.
<pagefault> i'd break up with my wife if she said FF8 was awesome
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Check the sig first before you attempt to respond. The bot/spammer made some copypasta, that you've just eaten.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

They've gotten rather clever. :/ I don't think I even recall there being a signature. It's possible it was added later...
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

it repeated the first sentence of the first post verbatim.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Well, I guess I didn't notice. I'm quite embarrassed about it. :/
alreadytaken4536

Post by alreadytaken4536 »

Hey there. I'm having a similar problem running ZSNES in Fedora Linux (lookie here! a new member who knows how to read threads before starting a new one). I installed it using the package manager, launched it, opened a ROM, full screened it and BAM; it crashed. Not only that, but it left me in a horribly small resolution that wasn't scaled to fit my monitor (as in, I could only see a quarter of the screen). Luckily for me, I have the display tool in a convenient enough location that I could switch back with little effort. I tried loading it again and it did the same thing, but without my input this time, crashing and screwing up my resolution. I want to see if I can edit the config file like that guy up there but I don't know how to access it. It would be greatly appreciated if you guys could tell me where I can find it. After I mess with it a little I'll update this thread with any further problems.

EDIT: Found it on my own after a little more forum digging, but I don't know how config editing is going to help, so stay tuned!

EDIT2: Well well, I figured out how to change the display settings and now I'm running games at full speed. Sorry for the useless post. I suppose you can read this for entertainment purposes now.