fullscreen problem

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

sixthchild

fullscreen problem

Post by sixthchild »

I'been using zsnes for about 10 years now... and i've always loved it... now i'm using it on my laptop and everything works fine in windowed mode(768x672 DR W) but when I change to fullscreen, the window does not stretch(keeping the ratio).. in fact it changes to a smaller resolution.... i've tried to change it to all possible DR F with no good results.. i've tried to change it to 1280x1024 DR F but i get the classic "directDraw error" message...

i have a nvidia GeForce GT 240m, i'm running win7x64 home premium and my screen resolution is 1600x900

i remember that i didn't have to change anything to go to fullscreen and it went perfectly keeping the ratio...

does anybody knows how can i fix it?

thank you all for your work
"Remember, my child: Without innocence the cross is only iron,
hope is only an illusion & Ocean Soul's nothing but a name..."

sixthchild

Re: fullscreen problem

Post by sixthchild »

I've noticed that the 1024x896 in windows mode is the perfect resotuliton to fill my screen keeping the 8:7 ratio.... but when i go to fullscreen i get the "directDraw Error"

just wanted to add this, maybe it could be helpful
"Remember, my child: Without innocence the cross is only iron,
hope is only an illusion & Ocean Soul's nothing but a name..."

paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Did you try custom resolution mode. Also your target ratio should be 4:3, since that's how the games were displayed on televisions, and will look distorted otherwise.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

try editing zsnesw.cfg manually.

and don't go larger than what the monitor/card can handle.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

DirectDraw won't be able to set a fullscreen resolution that isn't listed as possible in the Display control panel (Control Panel\Display\Screen Resolution).
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

should there program/registry-settings that able to add custom resolution on Windows' Display Control Panel,
would ZSNes directDraw fullscreen also works for that custom resolution?
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

A lot of driver utilities can do it. At least nvidia control panel and catalyst control center. Possibly Intel's control panel as well.

That's not really his problem, though. A custom mode of 1600x900 should work plenty good. If 1600x900 as a custom resolution fails, then who knows. Any standard resolution that fits his monitor correctly will be stretched-to-fit, and result in a very widescreen SNES game.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

I was passing all my emulator stuff over to my mate's compie and had similar frustrations trying to get a vertically stretched CRT TV style appearance. I can get the image to stretch to all edges, top to bottom and left to right of his 32 inch 16x9 LG LCD "monitor" just fine if I have it set to 1024x768 D S F, but then of course Mario appears much fatter than usual as does everything else. I have tried other video modes and have only been able to get close with 640x480 D R F, but that also has the bothersome bit of black bar. The modes with S in them only seem to stretch the width of the image... perhaps the Zsnes team could add an option for "fit to height" in the next build? Maybe have mode profiles or check box options for SV (stretch vertically), SH (stretch horizontally) and ticking both boxes would stretch both directions. I've managed to get almost every other emulator I run set up stretched from top to bottom with black bars on the left and right on this monitor except for Zsnes. I know it might not be "accurate" but I as the user appreciate having choices.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

I came across an easier solution and it may work for the rest of you depending on the features of your TV. On the remote for the LG 32 inch LCD my mate has, I saw a curious little button marked "Ratio." I pressed this button with a game running and magically the ratio changed from 16x9 to the 4:3-ish TV size I had been trying to get... No tinkering with Zsnes settings, no graphics crashes, no noticeable black lines at top and bottom (since I was already in 1024x768 DSF and the TV just squishes the picture inward). This also worked for some other emulators I was having a hard time trying to get in that ratio, like Project-64 and ePSXe. So yeah, check your TV to see if there similar options in the menu and save yourself some anguish.