Feature request: routing ZSNES functions to controllers

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Dib
Rookie

Feature request: routing ZSNES functions to controllers

Post by Dib »

I'm not certain if there is a way to already do this (haven't found it if there is) or has been requested before, but I think a good improvement for ZSNES would be if most if not all functions could be set up with controller buttons and button combinations.

For example, loading and saving states. You should be able to input some button combination with your joystick which could control either of these, that way you wouldn't have to be near your keyboard or mouse in order to do it.

I use a Playstation or N64 controller for my emulation, through one of those USB converters. With either of these, I have at least two buttons left over, which usually I assign to turbo or whatever. I also rarely sit right in front of my monitor and keyboard while playing. So it would be very helpful and convenient if I could also assign common ZSNES functions I use to them, or a combination of them I wouldn't ever use in-game.
Appl_Jax

Post by Appl_Jax »

well you can assign joystick buttons/axes to game keys. but combos would be nice, just need a "modifier" button i suppose. tho i would think that it would be tough to code that kind of thing... who knows.
Hey... I like stuff... got a problem with that?!
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

You can already put any key onto any controller.

Doing so with combos is a different story. Took me an hour to disable some mouse clicks the other day, hate to imagine how long something like this would take.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by Dib »

How do you route the hoykeys to the controller? I've checked everything throughout the menus and have found nothing to this effect.

Linking to an FAQ or guide would suffice if one exists.
Appl_Jax

Post by Appl_Jax »

ummmm... go the the game keys menu and pick an option you want to set with a controller...

apparently you werent checking enough.
Hey... I like stuff... got a problem with that?!
Dib
Rookie

Post by Dib »

Yeah I did forget about that. I must not have realized it worked for controller as well as keyboard.

Anyways, if you guys ever figure out a way to add key combos, that would be a really great feature.

Couldn't you do something like set a specific key that is used to tell the emulator that the functions are to be accessed, then detect for whatever key is pressed with that?

Like for example, I have joystick buttons 14 and 15 unused. I could set 14 as the combo trigger, then set one of the other buttons for the actual function, like say button 11 for load state and 10 for save state (11 and 10 happen to be my A and X buttons). So the emulator would recognize whenever I press 14 to check for whatever other button is being pressed, and if it's 11 or 10 to do the assigned function.

Sort of like the difference between pressing a key on the keyboard, and holding ctrl while you press the same key.
duffjr
Rookie

Post by duffjr »

what about an ON/OFF hotkey that enables/disables the rest of the game keys or controller config keys. i could set this key to something useless like L1, then use the D-Pad to select states and such, and enable the controller config keys again. is this a bitch to program?
you're born, you die, and you get to fuck around in between.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

I could do the logical code for that in C, C++, Delphi, Visual Basic, and probably other languages no problem.

x86? Forget it.