Request: File Path "Browse" button.

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Psychotic Fox

Request: File Path "Browse" button.

Post by Psychotic Fox »

My ZSNES emulator is buried 6 folders deep inside my Documents & Settings, so typing a file path to direct the emulator to .src files, BIOS locations and other stuff takes forever.

Could you guys add a "Browse" button to the file path entry boxes? as it would save other people with buried files having to spend ages typing the whole, long file location out every time.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Re: Request: File Path "Browse" button.

Post by Agozer »

Couldn't you just put ZSNES is some other directory instead of Document & Settings? Most people tend to do that.
You can also use relative path notation (..\) instead of absolute notation. You can also use CTRL-V to paste from the clipboard. This can even be found in the documentation.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Psychotic Fox

Post by Psychotic Fox »

True, but i only have a 70GB Hard drive so i tend to compress and lump everything together to save what little space i have left. XD

Yes, i may have been spoiled by Fusion and Mame emulators but it cant be that hard to add a couple of browse buttons to ZSNES could it?

PS: What is a relative path notation? Sorry if thats a stupid question but i dont know much about computers.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

You'll have to wait for 2.0, don't ask how long that'll take. Nobody knows.

2.0 will use a native UI as far as I know, so in that conext, it'd be reasonable to implement, currently though, it would probably be a lot of work.

Also, I may be wrong but zsnes might have trouble with spaces or something in path names. You'd be best opening up the config file and pasting your paths in to there.

Relative paths names are a way to describe a location relative to your working directory. In this case, relative to zsnesw.exe. So if you have a subdirectory "games", it would be just "games". If it's in a subdirectory games, then another subdirectory snes, then it would be "games\snes". If you have zsnes in a folder like c:\games\zsnes, but your roms in c:\games\roms\snes, you can use ..(two periods) to go back, for example, your path here would be "..\roms\snes". Also .(one period) can be used to simply specify the current directory. So if you just have your roms in the same directory, you can use that, or just leave it blank.

Now, I'm not sure if zsnes has any specific needs for relative path names, like you may need to start with a . or ..
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Psychotic Fox

Post by Psychotic Fox »

Thank you Agozer & paulguy for your very helpful and informative replies. :)

I still have much to learn about PC's and the whole emulator scene, so i am very greatful for your wise words.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

paulguy wrote:zsnes might have trouble with spaces or something in path names. You'd be best opening up the config file and pasting your paths in to there.
100x this, although i still recommend avoiding spaces for sanity reasons.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Psychotic Fox wrote:True, but i only have a 70GB Hard drive so i tend to compress and lump everything together to save what little space i have left. XD
But... directories take no space. Literally. They occupy zero bytes of your usable disk space.
Six files in one directory take no more space than six files in six directories.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

I'm gonna start killing people who assume shit is not hard without knowing.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54