Sound Bug on some games!

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

dilinwe

Sound Bug on some games!

Post by dilinwe »

Mmm, let see, im new in the forum so i have a little doubt, i played snes games since i have 10 year, then, i noticed that the sound of some old emu versions of zsnes are strickly correct (i mean specifically 0.963) but from now latter version had this nasty glitch or bug. The issue is when i played the Megaman X saga the megaman charge blast sounds like shit, i mean really bad, the same applies to all capcom games and also with square games like front mission, final fantasy, chrono trigger, specifically the last one, chrono trigger, when chrono atacks with this sword, the sound effects sounds really odd, for say one of the glitchs but there are many others I will not name because that the list would be never-ending.

Someone else has noticed this glitch?, another thing is the in the emu that im playing is d.o.s version, so i need to emulated the emulator with dos box and i have no problem, but i cannot play several games. So, i need to play with the correct sound in newer versions.

Someone can help me?
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Sound Bug on some games!

Post by paulguy »

Well known problem. Wait for zsnes 2.0, or use a different emulator. Also there's been a windows version of zsnes for well over a decade, so you don't need to run the dos version in dosbox.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I think he's referring to the original ADPCM decoding process, which did not clip or wrap properly a decade ago. In fact no emulators got that correct back then. Even the current release of ZSNES from years ago gets at least that much correct. The same goes for all other emulators.
dilinwe

Post by dilinwe »

okay thanks, i was thought it was the only who had the problem, i tried with a windows zsnes version 1.1 and the sound is apparently "good", but in newer versions is still the same problem like kode54 says.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

I did not say that newer versions have a problem. I said that newer versions corrected a long standing issue. The problem existed as far back as the initial sound support in many emulators.

There is an issue with only ZSNES, though. The sound decoding which triggered noise in certain games was implemented incorrectly when it was first introduced in ZSNES, and version 1.1 likely has this incorrect implementation. The latest version is correct, as far as ADPCM/BRR decoding is concerned.

For a reference as to how it should sound, use the latest bsnes, SSNES, or Snes9X. That is how it sounds on actual hardware.
CiroConsentino

Post by CiroConsentino »

the other emulator, BSNES v0.88 has perfect audio emulation... and this emulator is open source.
but BSNES requires a beefy PC to run games at full speed.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

The latest Snes9X (v1.53 as of this writing, check their forum for official download mirrors) also has accurate sound, and it should run on weaker hardware than bsnes compatibility core requires. Although it may not be as accurate. Version 1.54 is supposed to step up to plate as a replacement for bsnes performance core, whenever it happens to be released.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

That came out of fucking nowhere, CC. Kinda trying to be dumb and troll around.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
CiroConsentino

Post by CiroConsentino »

I didn't know there was a Snes9x v1.53
I'm using v1.51 and the sound is not as good.

I'll get it and check it out.