Black flash of Death: Ubuntu 11.10

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Original Jigen

Black flash of Death: Ubuntu 11.10

Post by Original Jigen »

Hey Everyone

I'm having the same problem I see a few others having, except so far I haven't seen anyone with this problem on Ubuntu 11.10.

It's the one where you tell Zsnes to open and it flashes black for a flicker then does nothing. My problem differs from the norm in two ways: 1) It also changes the resolution of the screen (which can be fixed with a quick restart), and 2) Zsnes worked just fine the first time I booted it up and I have changed absolutely nothing in between when I first started in up and now that I'm having the problem.

My system:
O/S (mentioned twice already but here it is for reference): Ubuntu 11.10 - 32-bit
Processor: Intel Atom CPU N270 @ 1.60GHz x2 (It's an old 10" eeepc)
Zsnes version: 1.51

Have I left anything out?
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Black flash of Death: Ubuntu 11.10

Post by paulguy »

Try executing zsnes from a terminal. Just open a terminal and type zsnes then press enter. Then copy and paste the output here.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Original Jigen

Post by Original Jigen »

Here's what it came up with:

Use ZSNES -? for command line definitions.

Starting Mouse detection.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event10. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event9. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event6. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event5. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event4. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event3. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event2. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event1. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
Unable to poll /dev/input/event0. Make sure you have read permissions to it.
ManyMouse: 0 mice detected.
Segmentation fault

You're going to have to forgive me. I'm an Ubuntu n00b so a lot of things are new to me. One thing that confuses me is that all of those lines tell me I do not have read permissions, I'm the only user on this machine I thought I had access to everything, but Ubuntu still gets snippy if I ever try to monkey with anything in File System. This confuses and annoys me somewhat.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

It's for security. You're not root.

As for what's causing that crash, it's not related to that, likely. However, I have no idea what it could be without a debug backtrace. I imagine this problem has come up, but I don't remember what the cause/solution was.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
rarity11

Post by rarity11 »

I had the same problem, today and looking in some old threads and found a solution
open a terminal and type this
zsnes -ad sdl

the zsnes (btw i'm too stupid to learn the name of the emulator) should start, then change the resolution of the screen to a windowed mode and quit the emulator, that should start the emulator next time without any problem