Do Save states delete regular saves?

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Nouser

have save state deleted regular saves?

Post by Nouser »

i admit being new to the dynamic of zsnes but i played a few short games on it before. I recently learned the hard way that there are the save states plus the regular saves and all that. Though i dont know how to balance them in my gameplay. :|

i was playing dragonball super saya densetsu,also known as dragonball z:legend of the super sayan. I had some hours of game play without using any save state.But in the begin of the game,when i tested the controls and pressed f1, f2,f3,f4 and so on to see the functions and accidently saved a state in the beggining of the game.

the game has 3 slots to make regular game saves so i was just using them. i progressed through several hours of gameplay when i accidently pressed f4,f3 keys. i exit the game to see if my saves still appear in the load menu of th game but they are not there.

the strange thing is that the .srm save still exist but the game does not detect it...
Gonzo
Regular

Re: Do Save states delete regular saves?

Post by Gonzo »

Ok here's what's happened;

You've created a save state then you started playing dragon ball z, then you created an in game save(the srm file). The problem with this is that the save state doesn't just record in game data(like what your position on a screen is, your health, item you might be holding,etc) it also looks at everything else, like whether or not you've saved in game before.

Basically you've created a save state where you haven't saved in game before, so every time you load that save state, it's affecting your srm file, basically wiping it. Or rather, returning the file to the state it was in at the point you made the save state.

To avoid this happening in the future you should either use save states or in game saves only for a game, never both in the same game.
Or you could create a save state every time you save in game. That way you'll avoid losing large amounts of game time by accidentally loading save states that you created before you save in game.
Nouser

Post by Nouser »

So,there is no way i can recover the stuff i played, im going to have to re-play everything?

Thanks anyway.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Nouser wrote:So,there is no way i can recover the stuff i played, im going to have to re-play everything?
Uh, basically, no.

You're either going to have to play the game again from the start or track down a srm save file somewhere on the internet that will put you near/at where you were before.
Nouser

Post by Nouser »

Ugh,that really sucks.

Anyway ,thanks again for the assistance.At least it was fast and accomplished to answer the question.I was stubbornly trying to find away to recover the data but now i know that the only option is re-playing,even still having the .srm
So that brings certain relief,at least.

But, just saying, the new versions of zsnes should try to avoid this save state deleting regular saves possibility.Its really tense how a simple accidental leyboard press may ruin hours of game!
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Nouser wrote: But, just saying, the new versions of zsnes should try to avoid this save state deleting regular saves possibility.Its really tense how a simple accidental leyboard press may ruin hours of game!
Actually, older versions DID behave that way. The problem is... the battery-backed RAM in teh cartridges can and is used as an in-game scratchpad as well as for saving.
If save states DON'T include the SRAM, some games can be rendered unbeatable with a single state load.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Nouser wrote:should try to avoid this save state deleting regular saves possibility.Its really tense how a simple accidental leyboard press may ruin hours of game!
I advise reading the whole documentation before asking for features that are already in.

Rewinds can fix any such ruining with the press of a key. Proper configuration is essential.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

It would, until you load a recent save state holding the new sram.

It's much easier to keep an old save state for that exact same purpose. 100 states are enough for this.

[That was replying to Yoshigreen 51, if someone wonders]
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54