Disable Music, but keep SFX

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

kokocipher

Disable Music, but keep SFX

Post by kokocipher »

This is a feature request for running game roms without the music, but keeping the SFX intact. I tried using the sound channel enable/disable feature, but some games, such as Megaman X,2,& 3, uses all the channels for music, thus it didn't do any good.

If anyone knows alternative ways of disabling music in Zsnes, or just disable/delete a particular SPC from a ROM, please enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Disable Music, but keep SFX

Post by paulguy »

Nope, not possible unless the game can specifically do that. The emulator can make no differentiation between the music and in-game audio.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Rashidi
Trooper

Post by Rashidi »

best approximation would be:
under Misc | Misc Keys,
assigns the 'Sound Keys'
then toggle 'em up in game to disable/enable specific sound channels

its situation specifics, and mostly wont work all the time.
you'll need to keep toggling it for different situation,
some games may use the same sound channel for both music & sfx purposes.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

And then later in the life cycle of the SNES, games may use channels dynamically for both music and effects, so muting any particular set of channels won't work effectively, as random notes or sound effects will leak through on any particular channel.
Truth Unknown
Regular

Post by Truth Unknown »

Funny how kokocipher mentioned the Mega Man X series. In my random cheat searching, breaking the charge states makes some fun, I found that there is volume control in all three games (and MMVII). Although I have only found them with Cheat Engine, they are easy to find since the games' the values are 255 normal, 128 paused. I'm not sure if the addresses I found for will work with your PC, but for Cheat Engine use the following.

"zsnesw.exe+30342A" for the address and this will effect Mega Man X (and its revision), Mega Man X2, Mega Man X3 and Mega Man VII from the US versions.