Sound distortion

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Cloudflight

Sound distortion

Post by Cloudflight »

My zsnes 1.36 win32 edition has sound distortion(fuzzy sound). how do i fix it. post if you need my system specs.
Starman Ghost
Trooper

Post by Starman Ghost »

We need your system specs.
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

One thing you can go is go to the config sound setting and change the sampling rate from 22050 to 32000, which is the normal sound rate for an SNES. That might help.
snkcube
Hero of Time

Post by snkcube »

And try using the latest WIP version located here.
Try out CCleaner and other free software at Piriform
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

I'm using 1.36 myself. I haven't had any problems with it.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

HalfShadow wrote:I'm using 1.36 myself. I haven't had any problems with it.
WIPs are still better than the last official release. :wink:
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

Not really. I've found that some of my roms no longer work with the latest WIP. For instance, Front Mission works fine, but once you patch it, it no longer works. I agree that it does run a bit faster and, of course, it's a WIP, but, seeing as how I'm in the middle of Front Mission...Well, you can see the issue. I like the latest WIP, but 1.36 is just more stable.

It seems every time they improve something, something else gets busted, doesn't it? :wink:
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

ZSNES 1.36 was extremely buggy. Not really worthy of carrying the title of an official release.

If you patched a known, unmodified game and then found it doesn't work in the newest WIP but does work in ZSNES 1.36, I deem there are three probable explanations:

1.) Poor code (such as a bug or code that was implementing an incorrect vision of the actual snes function) in 1.36 is allowing the patched game to work

2.) There's a specially-cased handler in 1.36 for that particular game which was later removed. Special cases for specific games are poor fixes: they only make more work in the long run. The ultimate goal is to get the emulation equivalent to that of the SNES itself; in such a hypothetical scenario all games would run correctly with zero specific-game fixes.

3.) The patched game is flawed and would not have run on the SNES.
HalfShadow
Nebulous Bastard

Post by HalfShadow »

Yes, it appears the rom in question was faulty. I downloaded it from another source and it works fine. I'll have to test the others that don't work.

Something odd...a prepatched version will work, but one I let soft-patch won't work.
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

HalfShadow wrote:Something odd...a prepatched version will work, but one I let soft-patch won't work.
You have add or remove a header to/from the rom image.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.