about save/load files (not states)

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

laiozatt

about save/load files (not states)

Post by laiozatt »

hi guys, new here, and as the title suggests, im having an issue with load files, not states xD.
well, explaining, i was playing in a sunny day as always, then i saved the game in a state, and a after a looong time playing, i saved it using the game (chrono trigger) save/load , then i went to sleep and after i woke up, i just couldnt load it, the load it shows is from far before, and i dont want to be forced to load the saved state... plus, i was running the game on the "donwloads" folder, and the rom itself was both inside a zip folder, and a normal folder, both inside the zsnes folder, and i guess i was running the zip one...
well then, id like to know if i can find the load somewhere... (and yes ive tried loading the last saved state and THEN reseting the game and try loading the game, and yes i know it doesnt make sense, since after u load a state, it goes to the "time" u saved that, making it impossible to load a game saved in the "future") .
kinda complex but pretty simple, waiting for replies, thx guys!
kode54
Zealot

Re: about save/load files (not states)

Post by kode54 »

Save states (correctly) include the entire state of the emulated machine, including the save memory. So, your "normal" save was overwritten when you loaded that save state. Best to load the save state, then play back up to where you saved "normally".
laiozatt

Post by laiozatt »

kode54 wrote:Save states (correctly) include the entire state of the emulated machine, including the save memory. So, your "normal" save was overwritten when you loaded that save state. Best to load the save state, then play back up to where you saved "normally".
yes, u are right, but, the game save was overwritten when i saved the state? or when i loaded? cuz in between my game save and the next day, i didnt save or load any state, and when i woke up, it wasnt there.. im just wondering, if i didnt overwrite it, how could it dissapear?
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

1. put zsnes and your rom files somewhere better, e.g. c:\emulators\zsnes
2. open zsnes and define your save path, e.g. c:\emulators\zsnes\save
3. search your system for romname.srm, and copy the version with the correct timestamp to the save directory you mentioned above.

paths are assuming Windows.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:Save states (correctly) include the entire state of the emulated machine, including the save memory. So, your "normal" save was overwritten when you loaded that save state. Best to load the save state, then play back up to where you saved "normally".
There's still the option not to load sram from states...
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Oh wow. That's totally broken for certain games.
laiozatt

Post by laiozatt »

odditude wrote:1. put zsnes and your rom files somewhere better, e.g. c:\emulators\zsnes
3. search your system for romname.srm, and copy the version with the correct timestamp to the save directory you mentioned above.

this seems pretty functional, but i only have 1 .srm file, and its not the right one, idk why its not the last one... i thought a new save would replace the last one, anyway, i think ill have to do i all again =/
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

As I said before, with the default settings, your .srm is likely broken. You'll need to locate the .zst file of your save state, then reload that and play up to a normal save. Since you said you loaded that save state and it clobbered your later conventional save, that means your current conventional save is either lost, or even older than the save state. Better to load from the save state now, and then play forward until you reach another conventional save.

I make it a point that when I am actually using save states, I always save a state after making a conventional save, so I always have at least one save state that contains the last conventional save.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

kode54 wrote:I make it a point that when I am actually using save states, I always save a state after making a conventional save, so I always have at least one save state that contains the last conventional save.
seconded for great justice.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:Oh wow. That's totally broken for certain games.
Pretty much. That's why the default setting is to load it.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

laiozatt wrote:
odditude wrote:1. put zsnes and your rom files somewhere better, e.g. c:\emulators\zsnes

this seems pretty functional, but i only have 1 .srm file, and its not the right one, idk why its not the last one... i thought a new save would replace the last one, anyway, i think ill have to do i all again =/
Look on the bright side. You're replaying Chrono Trigger. You're gonna be doing that often enough anyways.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads