zsnes and the way it controls sound on windows 7

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

radish

zsnes and the way it controls sound on windows 7

Post by radish »

Hey all

If this is not a feature request please let me know and i will post it in the proper area.

I'm using windows 7 64-bit and I have an onboard soundcard and a secondary audigy 2. I use Ventrilo on my onboard soundcard to output sound to my headset and everything else including zsnes runs through my default sound card. (Audigy 2)

Unfortunately when I open zsnes it mutes all sound coming from all sources other than itself. So I can't talk to my friends on ventrilo through my headset and use zsnes at the same time.

If at all possible in the next update could zsnes be patched to allow other applications to play sound?
and if there is some other way of fixing this problem could someone please let me know?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: zsnes and the way it controls sound on windows 7

Post by grinvader »

Probably a limitation of using directsound instead of xaudio.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Actually, it would come from a number of things. For one, it could come from forcing exclusive mode (which I don't think ZSNES does). For another, it could come from forcing it to use the primary buffer for output, which no application should ever do anyway.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

zsnes can do it if he has it configured to do so, in the audio config menu.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
radish

Post by radish »

kode54 wrote:Actually, it would come from a number of things. For one, it could come from forcing exclusive mode (which I don't think ZSNES does). For another, it could come from forcing it to use the primary buffer for output, which no application should ever do anyway.
Thanks I had no idea that that was what primary buffer meant. I had no idea that zsnes acts like that when it uses primary buffer.
I turned off primary buffer and now my sound cards are back to normal.

I guess this thread can be closed.
radish

Post by radish »

out of curiosity what is the point of the primary buffer selection?

like what is it used for?
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

An old trick for people with issues using the normal way, like so many other options.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54