256x240 resolution games and S modes/HQ2X

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

yournamehere

256x240 resolution games and S modes/HQ2X

Post by yournamehere »

Goodness knows I can't remember if this was ever mentioned before, but games which use the 256x240 (I think that's right) resolution have a significant portion of the screen chopped off at the bottom when running in an S video mode, or with the HQ2X filter in an R mode.

Affected games include Dragon Quest V and Dragon Quest 1&2 Remix.

*Update* - I took some screenshots in case they became necessary, but it turns out the problem doesn't affect the screenshots, just what shows up on screen.
MaxSt
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Re: 256x240 resolution games and S modes/HQ2X

Post by MaxSt »

yournamehere wrote: *Update* - I took some screenshots in case they became necessary, but it turns out the problem doesn't affect the screenshots, just what shows up on screen.
You can use "PrintScr" button on your keyboard.

MaxSt.
yournamehere

Post by yournamehere »

*slaps forehead*

That should have occurred to me.

www.rit.edu/~gab5730/zsnespics

The filenames should be self-explanatory.
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

I see what you mean, found the same on my comp as well so your not alone. ZSNES behaves very strangely with these games. Seems that a portion of the screen is missing when a hq filter is applied in an R mode.

ZSNES behaves oddly with DQ5 for me - in 1280x1024 DS unfiltered, clicking into the GUI squashes the screen upwards. This probably is a bug with games that use this resolution.
Lorddamien

Post by Lorddamien »

If you don't already know, this is fixed in the august 3 build :D

I'm sure glad to see that bug gone. Big thanks to the devs for fixing it.
Kagerato
Lurker

Post by Kagerato »

Those 256x240 games are also known as properly ported or native PAL games, I believe. Though the NTSC SNES should have all the physical hardware necessary for the 256x240 mode, it appears that it (like the NES) chops off some lines for the NTSC television and has an on-screen area of 256x224 [which is commonly listed as the SNES 'real' resolution].