Zelda - A Link To the Past Freezes

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

nickclone

Zelda - A Link To the Past Freezes

Post by nickclone »

Right after I beat the third dungeon's boss (the centipede thing), the game freezes after I collect the pendant. I've tried using different roms with the same save and it still freezes. I really don't want to have to start over, is there anyway I can fix this? I've played this game before and have gotten past this point with no problems before.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Scan your ROM with NSRT to find out if it's bad. If you're trying to load a saved state from the broken ROM in to the new ROM, it likely won't matter if the new one is good and you'll get the freeze anyway. Even in-game saves might be corrupted in such a way to cause the freezing. So, first if you're trying to load a saved state, try to make an in-game save (which you probably won't be able to do since you're at the boss anyway) then load that. If loading an in-game save fails on a good ROM, then you're pretty much screwed.
nickclone

Post by nickclone »

I've checked the rom and it says that it's good. I've played the game before and didn't have problems, I have no idea what it going on. On top of that, I don't want to start over, even if I did, there is no guarantee that the game will work.
dfreer
Lurker

Post by dfreer »

Anyway you could upload the .SRM?
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Are you reloading a Savestate or are you restarting a regular in-game save? If it's the former, stop doing it, whatever is freezing the game is contained on the savestate, try playing from the in-game save.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
nickclone

Post by nickclone »

Sorry guys, but I got pissed off and deleted all of the zelda roms and the save state. I also reinstalled ZSNES to just in case that was the problem. I plan on starting over again, so if I come across the problem again I'll let you guys know.
nickclone

Post by nickclone »

ZSNES keeps getting worse and worse, not only has Zelda:LttP screwed up on me, but whenever I save a game and try to open the state, ZSNES crashes on me. I've never had any problems with ZSNES until now, but I don't think I'll be using it anymore.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Heh, that sounds like your ROM may be pretty bad, or something unrelated to your ROM or zsnes, like bad memory or overheating or some sort of malware.
nickclone

Post by nickclone »

If thats the case, I'll run a scan, re-download ZSNES and get back to you with my results.

The roms are fine, they work with other emulators and I've tested them with NSRT.
franpa
Gecko snack

Post by franpa »

1) try running zsnes as an admin if your on vista/7
2) try an older version of zsnes, say 1.42 or1.36
Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHZ | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM | Gigabyte Geforce 760 4GB | Windows 10 Pro x64
nintendo_nerd
Sir Robin the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot

Post by nintendo_nerd »

Or use Snes9x 1.52 (fix4) until the new Zsnes is released....
"Just because I don't LISTEN doesn't mean I don't CARE!" -Homer Simpson
nickclone

Post by nickclone »

I tried 1.42 and it worked, thanks a lot everyone for your help. I tried using SNES9X and it just wasn't the same.