ZSNES doesn't start

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

daerid

ZSNES doesn't start

Post by daerid »

When I start ZSNES, all I get is a black window with the hourglass cursor. It doesn't do anything.

I'm fairly positive that I meet all the system requirements. Anybody ever heard of something like this?
NoS Sr50
Rookie

Post by NoS Sr50 »

What OS?
[b]Contact[/b]

[AIM] NOS SR50
[EMAIL] nossr50@gmail.com
daerid

Post by daerid »

That would be Windows XP SP1
Clements
Randomness

Post by Clements »

Try pressing Alt + Enter.

If that doen't work, open up the cfg file with Notepad and change the resolution to 640x480 DR Full.
Tek
Rookie

Post by Tek »

Or you could just delete the CFG file, and restart ZSNES, it will make a fresh CFG. This would be more tedious though.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Deleting the CFG file won't work for this problem if it was already the first time he ran it. The *default* video mode is the one with the problem.

Alt+Enter also will not work the first time.

Z, then Alt+Enter should work.
Bent
Lurker

Post by Bent »

Try updating your video drivers as well, that could also be a problem.
~Bent
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

I'm having the same problem.

I installed a Radeon 9800 pro yesterday and it worked fine, and today it doesn't (black screen with hour glass, windows says it's not responding). I haven't changed anything since yesterday, so can't work out why this has suddenly stopped working?

Annoyingly this happened with my GeForce 4 MX440, where it stopped working one day, and I never got it working again.

My specs are:

P4 2.8gig, win XP, 1gig Ram, Radeon 9800 pro.

Any other ideas?
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

After changing your video card, head over to www.ati.com and download/install the lastest drivers. That should fix your problem.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Ichinisan wrote:After changing your video card, head over to www.ati.com and download/install the lastest drivers. That should fix your problem.
I got the latest drives yesterday (when it worked), and now today, it doesn't work?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

hambury wrote:
Ichinisan wrote:After changing your video card, head over to www.ati.com and download/install the lastest drivers. That should fix your problem.
I got the latest drives yesterday (when it worked), and now today, it doesn't work?
Is ZSNES the only program/emulator that doesn't respond?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

I could be that something caused it to revert to the Microsoft default video driver. You should try installing again.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Yep, ZSNES is the only thing on my PC at the moment that won't run.

Tried re-installing the latest drivers, but that didn't work.

This is so annoying. It worked yesterday, and I've not installed anything since then.
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

Anyway, try the Z, Alt+Enter thing.

Or manually edit your CFG file...
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Yep, tried that too. Still doesn't want to know.

Is it worth me sending the error reports to Microsoft as XP so loves to do? (I'm really that desparate).
Ichinisan
Veteran

Post by Ichinisan »

You didn't say that ZSNES was crashing or trying to submit an error report.

It really *should* work in 640x480DR mode. Depending on how you launch ZSNES, there might be a CFG file in a different folder (the one containing the ROM image file). Edit that one *and* the one in the ZSNES folder...just to be sure.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. It's not exactly crashing, it just sits on the black screen, and then when I go to close it, Windows goes on about the program not responding, asking if I want to send the error report.

I've tried deleating all the files to do with Zsnes and starting over, but still no luck.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

I started Windows up in Safemode, and when attempting to run Zsnes got the following error message:

DDRAW ERROR
Mode only available in 16 and 32bit color

I've checked my display settings, and it's set to 32bit color. Any ideas what I need to do?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Safe Mode does not use 32-bit colors, AFAIK. (Not unless something has changed since Win98)
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Agozer wrote:Safe Mode does not use 32-bit colors, AFAIK. (Not unless something has changed since Win98)
I tried it in 16-bit mode as well, when in safemode.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Have you already tried reinstalling Directx?

Also to hambury:
you should download driver cleaner, sometimes there are conflicts when installing different drivers in a machine, so try uninstalling your drivers, then use driver cleaner for both nvidia detonators and catalyst, then install your catalyst drivers.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Joe Camacho wrote:Have you already tried reinstalling Directx?

Also to hambury:
you should download driver cleaner, sometimes there are conflicts when installing different drivers in a machine, so try uninstalling your drivers, then use driver cleaner for both nvidia detonators and catalyst, then install your catalyst drivers.
Thanks for the advice. I've just tried that, but still no luck. Damn, I thought that might work.
Joe Camacho
Devil's Advocate

Post by Joe Camacho »

Are you using the latest version of Zsnes? If you are, try using an older version, and see if you get the same errors, that's all I can think for now, sorry.
*Sometimes I edit my posts just to correct mistakes.
hambury
Rookie

Post by hambury »

Joe Camacho wrote:Are you using the latest version of Zsnes? If you are, try using an older version, and see if you get the same errors, that's all I can think for now, sorry.
Ok, I've worked my way back through older version. version 1.30b works fine, anything after that does not.

Anyone know the ins and outs of Zsnes then? What changed after 1.30b?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

hambury wrote:
Joe Camacho wrote:Are you using the latest version of Zsnes? If you are, try using an older version, and see if you get the same errors, that's all I can think for now, sorry.
Ok, I've worked my way back through older version. version 1.30b works fine, anything after that does not.

Anyone know the ins and outs of Zsnes then? What changed after 1.30b?
Well, if you need a full changelog, you can get one from my site (props to Grin for that). But yeah, it's a whole lot of text.