Synchronization Problem - Dumping a ZMV after recording it

Found a bug? Please report it, but remember to follow the bug reporting guidelines.
Missing a sane feature? Let us know!
But please do NOT request ports to other systems.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

jtrevor99
Rookie

Synchronization Problem - Dumping a ZMV after recording it

Post by jtrevor99 »

Well, this is probably a known issue, but I don't see it anywhere. (It is, though, probably related to the well-known "ZMV desync" issue, or to the Chrono Trigger timing issue.)

It appears that, when zSNES passes a movie to mencoder to be recorded, a desynchronization between the recorded ZMV and the final output can occur. Case in point: a recording I made of the final battle in Chrono Trigger. Upon playback, the ZMV shows no problems, but if I try to dump it, a desynchronization occurs about 3 minutes in that throws the whole movie off. Happens shortly after Lavos uses Invading Light.
You can get the movie at http://rapidshare.com/files/11611308/Ch ... r.zm1.html. The desync should be obvious when you try to dump it in any format.

Don't get me wrong--the new movie dumping abilities are sweet! But it looks like there's still some issues to iron out. I've recorded 12 different ZMVs of this part of the game, under several different conditions (auto-frame rate or 0 frame loss, several different resolution+filter combinations, etc.) and a desync has occurred every time, usually about 3 minutes in. Only once though was the ZMV itself out of sync.

ROM specs:
Chrono Trigger (U)
CRC32: 2D206BF7
Checksum OK

Comp specs:
zSNES 1.50 Windows
Windows XP Pro 2nd Ed.
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
DirectX 9.0c
nVIDIA GeForce 4 GO 440 64MB
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It's probably related. Some games are more affected than others. Not much can be done until the core is replaced (and even then, you'll have to remake the ZMV).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

I've had no problems dumping this.
Using the new custom option, here's your video:

http://nsrt.edgeemu.com/ctlavos.rar

So how'd you fight Lavos with just Magus? I didn't even know that was possible. The ending you got is also a slight variation I've never seen before. Nice work :)

BTW, I think your Magus could use some speed tabs, 9 minutes for a Lavos battle even with just one player is too long in my book.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by jtrevor99 »

Well, I'll be. Must be something wrong with my options then. Thanks, Nach!

To answer your question--solo Magus isn't normally possible. I used some PAR codes to do it. :) I'm glad you mentioned the ending though--I haven't seen that one either! It looks like you get it if you fail to get the Chrono Trigger from Gaspar.

And I probably could've sped the thing up considerably but I wanted to make it a little more entertaining--using DarkMatter every single time gets boring to watch though!
Last edited by jtrevor99 on Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

jtrevor99 wrote:And I probably could've sped the thing up considerably but I wanted to make it a little more entertaining--using DarkMatter every single time gets boring to watch though!
I'm not sure how you would make that more entertaining by torturing us to see the use of all 3 elemental spells in the same battle.

You need to consider using a Safe Helm+Nova Armor (it is far better than most other variations), plus Prism Specs instead of the Gold Stud since you were planning to heal yourself with Elixers anyways.

BTW, the movie dumps fine.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
jtrevor99
Rookie

Post by jtrevor99 »

Man, everybody's a critic! :)
I wasn't going for speed on this one. Rather, my challenge from a friend was to beat Lavos using every available spell at least once. Had I went for speed I could've shaved this down to about 6 minutes.

If I had it to do over again I probably would've used the Gloom Helm + Moon Armor combination (wouldn't use Safe Helm because I wouldn't have status effect immunity then--Safe Helm + Nova Armor might have worked). PrismSpecs would have been better for this battle; but I used the Gold Stud because I wanted to see if I could finish the previous Lavos battle without using any items (which I did).

Unfortunately my save state is right at the Lavos battle so I don't have the option to change equipment. Oh well!
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

jtrevor99 wrote:Man, everybody's a critic! :)
I wasn't going for speed on this one. Rather, my challenge from a friend was to beat Lavos using every available spell at least once. Had I went for speed I could've shaved this down to about 6 minutes.
If you had to use it at least once, don't repeat because the movie then becomes obscenely long.
If I had it to do over again I probably would've used the Gloom Helm + Moon Armor combination (wouldn't use Safe Helm because I wouldn't have status effect immunity then--Safe Helm + Nova Armor might have worked). PrismSpecs would have been better for this battle; but I used the Gold Stud because I wanted to see if I could finish the previous Lavos battle without using any items (which I did).
Well, the first Lavos battle is relatively tame, so go figure. Safe Helm+Nova Armor works... you actually need to try it. The status immunity can be disabled by Lavos regardless of what piece of armor provides it, just so you know. (eg. Prism Helm == Gloom Helm == Vigil Hat == Nova Armor == Amulet in status protection) Alternatively, you could use a Haste Helm instead to speed this up significantly. The Barrier Item can replace the Safe Helm's effectiveness, while the Shield Item can replace Magus's Magic Wall.... just some stuff to consider for your next run.
Unfortunately my save state is right at the Lavos battle so I don't have the option to change equipment. Oh well!
That's what normal saving before the event helps. :P
jtrevor99
Rookie

Post by jtrevor99 »

Several good ideas there, Deathlike--the Safe Helm + Nova Armor, and Prsim Helm + Moon Armor, are combinations I use commonly.

I was hoping to kill the Left Bit fast enough to prevent the loss of status immunity--usually I am, but I wasn't here!

On a more important note--I think I've found the source of the sync problem. Nach and Deathlike, what did you have "Pause Emulation in Background" set to when you dumped this? As soon as I turned it to false I had no problems. I think it's the 1-2 second "pause" at the start of the movie dump, caused by this setting, that was causing the issue.

My recommendation in future versions of zSNES would be to have this disabled during a movie dump.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

jtrevor99 wrote:Several good ideas there, Deathlike--the Safe Helm + Nova Armor, and Prsim Helm + Moon Armor, are combinations I use commonly.
Prism+Moon Armor have the highest defensive values for the males, but if you do some quick testing, Safe Helm+Nova Armor has the best defense period when you factor in that 1/3 physical damage reduction. Magic defense is generally moot when you gain enough levels to max them. (Generally, you don't have to worry about the Grand Stone attack as much as a male, since that Stamina stat is maxed out). This issue changes if you use a hack like Level Zero for CT, where Magic Defense is critical.
I was hoping to kill the Left Bit fast enough to prevent the loss of status immunity--usually I am, but I wasn't here!
Meh. Ayla+Chrono are much better at this IMO. You are exposing an unintended side effect of Magus's best weapon since you are cheating.
On a more important note--I think I've found the source of the sync problem. Nach and Deathlike, what did you have "Pause Emulation in Background" set to when you dumped this? As soon as I turned it to false I had no problems. I think it's the 1-2 second "pause" at the start of the movie dump, caused by this setting, that was causing the issue.

My recommendation in future versions of zSNES would be to have this disabled during a movie dump.
I think correcting the option is a more viable solution. We will look into this.
Last edited by Deathlike2 on Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nach
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Nach »

jtrevor99 wrote: On a more important note--I think I've found the source of the sync problem. Nach and Deathlike, what did you have "Pause Emulation in Background" set to when you dumped this? As soon as I turned it to false I had no problems. I think it's the 1-2 second "pause" at the start of the movie dump, caused by this setting, that was causing the issue.

I don't have such an option in the port I use, however yes it makes sense not to have such a feature enabled during dumping, thanks for the find.
May 9 2007 - NSRT 3.4, now with lots of hashing and even more accurate information! Go download it.

Post by jtrevor99 »

Nach>Glad I could help. ;)

[shameless self promotion]
A couple people have asked about posting this movie on Youtube. I don't have a problem with you doing it, but should point out I already have (under the same username, jtrevor99). Check it out if you're interested.
[/shameless self promtion]
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

The oversight has been fixed in SVN btw.
GabrielWest

Re: Synchronization Problem - Dumping a ZMV after recording

Post by GabrielWest »

:? What you have to do, if you need to record and dump a Zsnes NETPLAY Video ? 1.42 has no dumping feature, 1.51 has no netplay, and if you try to dump with 1.42 recorded videos with 1.50, which works, but with the problem: The Sync of the character movements are going absolutely wrong in the video! What can I do to solve this, please help! :?: :(
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Re: Synchronization Problem - Dumping a ZMV after recording

Post by grinvader »

"You don't."
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54