Help with keyboard buttons

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Hudech165

Help with keyboard buttons

Post by Hudech165 »

I just recently downloaded ZSNES and i love it. I'm having trouble on a part in chrono trigger. It says to hold down L and R and press the A button, simple enough right, except that it does not work. I've tried a bunch of different setups through the emulator itself but nothing seems to work. I've played through ten times already and had an itch to go through it again, but i can't figure out why this is happening. Does anyone have any suggestions, it would be really appreciated. I don't want to go out and get a controller either, i'd rather just do it on the keyboard. Thanks
Legendary N+ Skills
creaothceann
Seen it all

Post by creaothceann »

This is a known problem.™

Map all the buttons to the same key, or use Ctrl/Alt/Shift.
vSNES | Delphi 10 BPLs
bsnes launcher with recent files list
Hudech165

Post by Hudech165 »

I've tried the Shift/ctrl/alt keys before and they didn't work. I did try your suggestion of mapping all three keys to the same button and it worked perfectly. Thanks a lot
Legendary N+ Skills
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Why is it that so many people have trouble with this? Another instance of "keyboards suck ass"?
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

Agozer, old keyboard behavior, which is not the fault of the emu.

The fact that we have a friggen FAQ question and someone doesn't read it is just a massive failure.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
Hudech165

Post by Hudech165 »

I should have but this way was a lot faster. I didn't think you moderators were going to be dicks about it, but i guess i was wrong.
Legendary N+ Skills
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

This is a very common question that has been answered in the docs. Asking a question that has already been answered elsewhere (particularly when it is something that one should read first before all else) is not productive.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
DancemasterGlenn
Veteran

Post by DancemasterGlenn »

Hudech165 wrote:I should have but this way was a lot faster. I didn't think you moderators were going to be dicks about it, but i guess i was wrong.
Haha. Always assume that moderators will be dicks to you if you don't read the documentation first. Always.
I bring the trouble.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Hudech165 wrote:I should have but this way was a lot faster. I didn't think you moderators were going to be dicks about it, but i guess i was wrong.
A lot faster? That makes no sense. It was in the readmes, which would have taken you 15 minutes at most. O_o
adventure_of_link
Locksmith of Hyrule

Post by adventure_of_link »

Deathlike2 wrote:The fact that we have a friggen FAQ question and someone doesn't read it is just a massive failure.
Suggestion: on the next ZSNES release, we put up a warning message which appears on the first time you run Chrono Trigger. It'll say "in the arris dome, when you have to press L+R+A, bind those keys to one key."

Come to think of it, we should have one for FF3/6 that says, on the intros, don't be afraid to press any and all of the buttons.
<Nach> so why don't the two of you get your own room and leave us alone with this stupidity of yours?
NSRT here.
doktor_kris
Lurker

Post by doktor_kris »

“One key to bindeth them all.”
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

adventure_of_link wrote:
Deathlike2 wrote:The fact that we have a friggen FAQ question and someone doesn't read it is just a massive failure.
Suggestion: on the next ZSNES release, we put up a warning message which appears on the first time you run Chrono Trigger. It'll say "in the arris dome, when you have to press L+R+A, bind those keys to one key."

Come to think of it, we should have one for FF3/6 that says, on the intros, don't be afraid to press any and all of the buttons.
Game-specific hacks!!1111

Seriously, you COULD put up a splash screen that says "Keyboards suck, you can't mash all the keys at once, this causes problems in several games, including but not limited to Chrono Trigger, Megaman, Contra, Super Mario World, et cetera et cetera until the end of time basically every game you have to press 2 buttons at once in is in danger of glitching. This and other issues are covered in the documentation that came with your emulator, specifically in FAQ.HTM/TXT. Read it now. If your emulator did not come with documentation, please download it from zsnes.com instead of exposing yourself to an absurd virus risk by grabbing it off 1337W4r3ezr4wMZ.C0m"

But they won't read that any more than the existing nag and documentation.
Francis64
Lurker

Post by Francis64 »

You guys could make a fortune if you designed and sold a ZSNES keyboard.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gaming keyboards exist. Some even promise to fix the keyblocking issue.
Generally, people use the keyboard because it's what they already have, they don't buy a special keyboard to use.
Well, until PC gamers decided keyboard and mouse was the one true input device.

But if I WERE gonna sell a ZSNES controller, it'd be a proper controller. NOT a text-input device.