Aftermarket Pads vs. Stock?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

I_am_dumb
Hazed

Aftermarket Pads vs. Stock?

Post by I_am_dumb »

I keep seeing all these obvious and not so obvious aftermarket SNES pads on Ebay.

There's a set with "Superpad" branding, but it isn't the INTERACT superpad, and then there's a set that come in a box with 3d-rendered Mario and Yoshi, says "licensed by Nintendo" but still third party. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has bought these, how good or bad is the quality? I'm wanting to find some decent working SNES pads to use with the 2 port snes to USB adapter Mayflash is coming out with in April.
Last edited by I_am_dumb on Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

The 3D Mario & Yoshi is either an original box, or a knockoff of an original box.
I had a couple of those Miico or Miitendo or whatever they are controllers, that was a clear knockoff of the official US controller. For some reason the B Button was REALLY stiff, compared to the other buttons.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

These are the items in question.

Has Nintendo emboss, but has a cord guard.
Descrip says it came in a "official box."

Has the "Superpad" name but isn't made by Interact
lacks the 4 colored buttons. Descrip says it is "the
best 3rd party Snes controller available"

Would these be anywhere as good as a stock pad?
KingMike
Rookie

Post by KingMike »

That one doesn't look official.
Official US controllers have the "Super Ninendo Entertainment System" text logo printed on the front. The background of the ABXY button area is a darker gray with light colored button labels.
(the only official variant I'm aware of is that the L and R Button labels were engraved in later controllers, printed on earlier controllers)
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

And here I was hoping for an intelligent discussion comparing the different 3rd-party controllers and their pros/cons VS the official ones.

This thread makes me sad.
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Other than adding turbofire and slow down switches, were any of them better than the official pads?
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i've found it nigh impossible to ever beat the first party offerings on any console
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

I just snagged two original japanese Super Famicom pads from Ebay, hoping they'll be compatible with the 2 player adapter Mayflash is coming out with in April. Also saw these wierd things while browsing ebay, looks like the Genesis Controller merged with SNES.

I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

sweener2001 wrote:i've found it nigh impossible to ever beat the first party offerings on any console
I think the X-Box's Controller-S(Talk about a WTF inducing name) could be beaten... The DC's too. Damn, did they suck.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

sweener2001 wrote:i've found it nigh impossible to ever beat the first party offerings on any console
seconded. the only one i can think of that i preferred was the SNES asciiPad.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

I bought a 3rd party pad late in the SNES era... it was pretty nice. Auto+Semi-Auto turbo plus a bonus set of L+R buttons on the pads that would be ideal for games like SSF2 (if you envision it more like the late Genesis 6-button pads, that's what it looked like)... it does look vaguely similar to the pic though.

Edit: Here's a link to what I have...

http://store.videogamecentral.com/sneshfco.html

Most controllers you'll find will be more like this...

http://tinyurl.com/c2qbjx

It won't have the SNES logo, but it's more like the original SNES controller when it was released in the US... not like the later controllers with the color buttons which resembled the PAL controllers (I think).
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

I.S.T. wrote: I think the X-Box's Controller-S(Talk about a WTF inducing name) could be beaten... The DC's too. Damn, did they suck.
i preferred the S to the original by a long shot. that's one that i could see being beaten, and it was, by MS themselves.

my cousin has a couple third party dreamcast controllers, i do not like them as much. it's possible he just got some bad ones, but i actually like the dreamcast controllers.

however, if the 360 controller had a better d-pad (like the 64 or snes, preferably), it would be the best controller ever, in my opinion. i don't like the stick placement on ps pads that much anymore, and i don't think 6 face buttons would do me any better.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
I.S.T.
Zealot

Post by I.S.T. »

Deathlike2 wrote:I bought a 3rd party pad late in the SNES era... it was pretty nice. Auto+Semi-Auto turbo plus a bonus set of L+R buttons on the pads that would be ideal for games like SSF2 (if you envision it more like the late Genesis 6-button pads, that's what it looked like)... it does look vaguely similar to the pic though.

Edit: Here's a link to what I have...

http://store.videogamecentral.com/sneshfco.html

Most controllers you'll find will be more like this...

http://tinyurl.com/c2qbjx

It won't have the SNES logo, but it's more like the original SNES controller when it was released in the US... not like the later controllers with the color buttons which resembled the PAL controllers (I think).
I had a 6 button Genesis pad for a while. I loved that thing. It let me play SF2: SCE and actually pause the damn game.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I used to be a devout follower of 3rd-party controllers. There were some damn nice ones in the old days.

Now it's all seeing who can duplicate the look of the official controllers the closest without getting sued, and at the cheapest price point.
Or who can port the DualShock to the most platforms.

I swear by the NES Advantage.
I suppose this is only sort-of 3rd-party, since it was released by Nintendo, but made by Ascii.

The Super Advantage isn't as good, but it's still a decent stick.

As far as pads go... yeah, the asciiPad.

I had Interact/Performance/whatever other brand they sold under Dual Impact for my PS1 that I absolutely loved. It was just so damned COMFORTABLE, while still being highly playable.
I wish I'd gotten one of the PS2 versions before it was discontinued.

I suspect Capcom's Street Fighter pad would be pretty good, given the target software. Yes, I'm aware of the unconventional design.

I alternate between the official controller and a NeoPad SE on my 360.

Ascii made good shit.
Hori makes good shit now.

I even own a Mad Catz controller. The infamous NES-styled DualShock-compatible RetroPad. It's not very good, but it's surprisingly comfortable, ESPECIALLY for a controller based on the NES pad.

I don't see a lot of compelling 3rd-party controllers any more. Most of them carry the slogan "just like the official one, only crappier."

Deathlike: I have a pair of those 6-button High Frequency pads.
I'm not a fan of them. But it'd be hard to make specific complaints, since I haven't used either in quite a while.