Direct USB Adapter for Wii Classic Controller?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

I_am_dumb
Hazed

Direct USB Adapter for Wii Classic Controller?

Post by I_am_dumb »

I saw this: http://code.google.com/p/wii-ext-to-usb/
And so I'm wondering if something like this could be made...

And yeah, I know that there's the Bluetooth/Glovepie method, but it seems like a very extensive process. There's also the matter of finding the right Bluetooth dongle, and needing to have a Wii-Mote to plug into and always having to re-detect the device everytime you wanna play. I'd much rather just have a direct Wii controller to USB adapter device. Would be nice if Mayflash or some other company were to make such an adapter...
Last edited by I_am_dumb on Sun Dec 06, 2009 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

You've already linked the evidence that it COULD be made, so I'm not sure why you're asking. :P

Heck, you could even make your own right now. You have schematics and source code right there.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Yay, Mayflash is going to make the adapter.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

So wait, people actually like the wii's classic controller?

I don't mind it myself, but I can think of other controllers I'd rather use.
I wouldn't go to all the effort of buying/making an adapter just to use a wii classic controller. Especially since I have a USB controller that I just plug in and it works.
blackmyst
Zealot

Post by blackmyst »

Well, for one thing, the classic controller has the best dpad in the history of dpads ever.
[size=75][b]Procrastination.[/b]
Hard Work Often Pays Off After Time, but Laziness Always Pays Off Now.[/size]
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Fair enough, I know how much of a bitch it is to find a controller with a decent d-pad.

I honestly haven't used the d-pad on a classic controller, the only reason I use the controller is because I hate using the wii remote in mario kart and the controller uses the joystick.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

So Mayflash said they'd make a wired version of the 2 player Wii Classic Pad to USB converter, and if it does well, they will also make a wireless version. No clues when either will be finished and made available yet. But I have plenty of patience.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

They responded and said that it should be made available either at the end of September or October, for those interested, keep checking Mayflash's website for updates. This will be a straight up USB connection, no extra stuff like Wii-mote + Glovepie + Bluetooth would be required.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Mayflash says they will release a wired model of the Wii Classic Controller to USB adapter in November. If the first version does well, they will make a wireless model that runs off AA batteries and uses an RF usb dongle (similar to the one used by Phillips wireless PS2 copycat controller) to send the inputs from the two controllers to the PC.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

After months of waiting after my initial suggestion, Mayflash has finally made this:
http://www.mayflash.com/wii/w006/w006.htm

paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I see the product page, but there doesn't appear to be a way to order it? Am I missing something?
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

They usually have other people sell the items for them through Ebay.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:After months of waiting after my initial suggestion, Mayflash has finally made this:
Yes, I'm sure your e-mail was what prompted them, and they were not already hard at work on the device.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
I_am_dumb wrote:After months of waiting after my initial suggestion, Mayflash has finally made this:
Yes, I'm sure your e-mail was what prompted them, and they were not already hard at work on the device.
^
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r243 ... a/4Gil.png
Don't be such a buzzkill, Gil...
Last edited by I_am_dumb on Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Just for the lulz, I reduced your gigantic screen capture by 300KB by converting it to PNG. A 24bpp PNG would probably be similarly small, but whatever.

Oh, and when you blanked out the target e-mail address with red, you used a semi-transparent brushstroke, so the address is still visible.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Re: Direct USB Adapter for Wii Classic Controller?

Post by I_am_dumb »

^ Only did that since I thought one of you might try harassing Vicky or Torsten. The black unfinished prototype pic in the caps is enough to prove the convos happened... anyways, I got the adapter, and I'm pretty happy with what they made. It functions perfectly with the original flat Classic, as well as Pro, though I don't like the Pro as much as I thought I would.

paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

heh, what timing, I pretty much just ordered one from play-asia along with a black classic controller pro. I look forward to it as I tend to like Nintendo's dpads better than sony's. (I've been using a PS1 controller attached to an adapter.)

EDIT: Does it come with that gay-pride flag on it already, or did you apply that?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Don't forget the "peace sign" and Hello Kitty sticker on my case...

I've been having negative experiences with CC Pro. I've done atleast 4 exchanges and each one seems to have a defect where the DPad is loose in the housing and jostles around, and the tops of the sticks are loose and wobbly and there's not much resistance. Might just be a bad production run or something, but for now I'm sticking to my flat CC's since everything on them is solid. DPad doesn't slide around and the sticks don't wobble and actually have good spring to them.