Rewind: keyboard vs. controller

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

borderLine

Rewind: keyboard vs. controller

Post by borderLine »

When I set the rewind as a button on my controller, I get an actual rewind; but when I set the rewind as a key on my keyboard, it uses the “1/5 seconds per rewind” setting.

Is there any way to get the keyboard to behave the same as the controller in this regard?

I love the rewind feature, and it's the only reason I became a ZSNES fan when I used to be wishy-washy between ZSNES and SNES9X. I would use ZSNES exclusively, if it weren't for the random lock-ups in Star Ocean and Super Mario RPG.

I would like the keyboard rewind to be as advanced as the controller rewind because I like to play with my laptop in bed at night, and a PS2-shaped controller doesn't really lend itself to one-handed operation very well. (Repeatedly mashing backspace during a stressful battle isn't really that bad, I'd just rather not.)

Even the controller rewind isn't perfect. It does an ultra-high-speed rewind. I can't wait until the ZSNES team gets the SNES rewind working like Nestopia's 1:1 rewind... maybe even a 2:1, or something selectable. But that's for the future ¦).

I don't have access to the source code, and I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't understand it if I did; so there's not very much I can do other than go through the menus.
Is there anything at all that I can try? Like, does anyone know of a utility that can map keyboard keys to a virtual controller? That might be cool.
dfreer
Lurker

Re: Rewind: keyboard vs. controller

Post by dfreer »

What I read:
borderLine wrote:blah blah blah something blah .... because I like to play with myself in bed at night ... to one-handed operation ... stressful battle isn't really that bad, I'd just rather not...
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Zsnes has a rewind feature?
Agozer
16-bit Corpse | Nyoron~

Post by Agozer »

Gonzo wrote:Zsnes has a rewind feature?
I can't tell whether you were making a witty joke or being serious.
whicker: franpa is grammatically correct, and he still gets ripped on?
sweener2001: Grammatically correct this one time? sure. every other time? no. does that give him a right? not really.
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

Agozer wrote:
Gonzo wrote:Zsnes has a rewind feature?
I can't tell whether you were making a witty joke or being serious.
I wish I could say I was being witty, but unfortunately I was being serious.

I know that you can fast forward and slow down stuff in zsnes, but I was unaware you could rewind as well.

I personally don't see much of a point to it though because I frequently use save states. So if I want to go back in a game, I just load my last save state.