Secret of Mana, directional buttons won't work at title scrn

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

keantoken
Rookie

Secret of Mana, directional buttons won't work at title scrn

Post by keantoken »

Hi all.

I'm using the latest version of ZSNES, with a PSX dualshock 2 controller. At the title screen after pressing start it won't let me select the continue option. This wasn't a problem when I first started the game, and for some reason after playing for some time the directions worked whenever I reset. But now after starting up the emulator, the problem is back and I would like to fix the problem.

Any advice? I've searched but I haven't seen this issue.

Thanks,
- keantoken
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

And for that matter, are you supposed to be able to walk around while you're charged up for a special attack? I can only sit in one place while I'm charging and can only dash in one direction. Is this normal for SoM?

- keantoken
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

keantoken wrote:Hi all.

I'm using the latest version of ZSNES, with a PSX dualshock 2 controller. At the title screen after pressing start it won't let me select the continue option. This wasn't a problem when I first started the game, and for some reason after playing for some time the directions worked whenever I reset. But now after starting up the emulator, the problem is back and I would like to fix the problem.
This sounds like a permissions issue with the folder you put ZSNES in. ZSNES can't write the cfg file to save the controls, plus it cannot save the save data wherever your ROM is at. It is also suggested you define a save directory that has full read/write permissions.

And for that matter, are you supposed to be able to walk around while you're charged up for a special attack? I can only sit in one place while I'm charging and can only dash in one direction. Is this normal for SoM?
You can walk around when charging weps, but you'll be moving at half speed.

Dashing only works in the direction you face. This is normal behavior.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

Thanks. I'll see if this works...

- keantoken
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

No, it didn't work.

It may be a bug with ZSNES... I've also been getting crashes when trying to change the screen resolution. I'll try reinstalling. (it's not an issue with the controller or adapter, since I was playing on other emulators fine)

- keantoken
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

I think I should have been clearer in my original post.

At the title screen when it asks whether or not to start or continue, I can't change the cursor. It stays stuck on new game no matter what I do. This wasn't a problem before, because I was starting a new game. But now when I want to resume from my save it won't let me move the cursor down (yet the controls work fine in every other part of the game, except that I can't move while charged).

When I first started the game there wasn't a problem after I had played for some time; I would get stuck in a glitch and have to reset, and the controls would work fine. It's only after starting up the game that this happens. So it looks like it's either a problem with ZSNES or the ROM.

- keantoken
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

Alright, I just tried it in SNES9x and I have the same problem!

So then, it has to be the controller or the ROM. But I've tried 3 different ROMs from different places, and it still hasn't been fixed. Maybe this is a SoM glitch?

What is up?

- keantoken
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

It may be a bug with ZSNES... I've also been getting crashes when trying to change the screen resolution. I'll try reinstalling. (it's not an issue with the controller or adapter, since I was playing on other emulators fine)
You had not mentioned what video card you used, so that's a separate issue, and it is more of an issue with your video card than ZSNES. You had not mentioned what OS you used either, so it's not very helpful info.
At the title screen when it asks whether or not to start or continue, I can't change the cursor. It stays stuck on new game no matter what I do. This wasn't a problem before, because I was starting a new game. But now when I want to resume from my save it won't let me move the cursor down (yet the controls work fine in every other part of the game, except that I can't move while charged).
Regarding the issue with starting or continuing a game, reread my first post. Since the game is unable to create the save file (SRM) because of folder permissions. As a result, it is causing you to start all over again (you can't select the continue option). Since the emu cannot find a save file to read off, the game treats it as a "totally new game" with no save data. The game itself intentionally not allowing you to select the Continue game option since there is no save data.

The can't move while charged seems to be an issue with the controller+ZSNES.. that I can't really help you with w/o someone with that controller being able to help you there.
So then, it has to be the controller or the ROM. But I've tried 3 different ROMs from different places, and it still hasn't been fixed. Maybe this is a SoM glitch?
It's not the ROM or controller's fault. It's a folder permissions problem with the ZSNES/Snes9x folder. When the app can't save the data, you are forced to start all over as I said before. Please define a save folder for both emus that has full read/write permissions and that should solve your saving problem.
Continuing [url=http://slickproductions.org/forum/index.php?board=13.0]FF4[/url] Research...
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

Oh, I think it's starting to sink in... So my game never really got saved in the first place? I right clicked on the folder and unchecked read-only, and thought the problem wasn't fixed because I still couldn't continue... I've never played SoM before, so I didn't realize.

I'm running XP SP3, Core 2 duo with Nvidia 7600GS. Is it possible that ZSNES or windows is trying to increase the refresh rate on my monitor? My cheap monitor is maxed out at 1280x960 and can't do more than 60Hz.

- keantoken
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

keantoken wrote:Oh, I think it's starting to sink in... So my game never really got saved in the first place? I right clicked on the folder and unchecked read-only, and thought the problem wasn't fixed because I still couldn't continue... I've never played SoM before, so I didn't realize.
Yes.
I'm running XP SP3, Core 2 duo with Nvidia 7600GS. Is it possible that ZSNES or windows is trying to increase the refresh rate on my monitor? My cheap monitor is maxed out at 1280x960 and can't do more than 60Hz.
ZSNES does not try to increase the refresh rate. You can force the refresh rate if you wanted to through the command line or cfg file, but that can be overriden by DX's force refresh tool in their dxdiag app.
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

One last thing. When I uncheck read-only, if I close that window and right click on the folder again, the box is still checked with a gray check. This is normal, right?

Thanks,
- keantoken
Deathlike2
ZSNES Developer
ZSNES Developer

Post by Deathlike2 »

keantoken wrote:One last thing. When I uncheck read-only, if I close that window and right click on the folder again, the box is still checked with a gray check. This is normal, right?
I believe so, but you need to test it to be sure.

Make sure you remove the read-only from the folder that the ROM/game is in as well.
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

Well thanks for your help and if there are further issues I'll be back.

Thanks,
- keantoken
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

keantoken wrote:One last thing. When I uncheck read-only, if I close that window and right click on the folder again, the box is still checked with a gray check. This is normal, right?

Thanks,
- keantoken
Where exactly is your zsnes folder? Is it on the C:, a usb drive or what?
keantoken
Rookie

Post by keantoken »

It is on the E: drive, which is a hard drive, slave of IDE1.

- keantoken