Buffalo SNES usb pad, who has one and is it any good?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

PenutButtaChikn

Buffalo SNES usb pad, who has one and is it any good?

Post by PenutButtaChikn »

Usually I'm pretty suspicious of so-called usb SNES controllers, most of them look rather dubious and the one time I did buy one it turned out to be utter crap (Dpad wasn't even the right shape and it was stiff as hell... Start / Select were plastic not rubber, and the L R were also stiff and hard to press). This Buffalo controller looks pretty legit, though. And sure, I could just get an adapter to hook a real SNES pad to, but that'd involve A: Shelling out something like $16 for an adapter, and then trying to hunt down an SNES controller that's in good shape which is a hard thing to find these days and unopened ones tend to go pretty high. There's a few sellers on Ebay with the Buffalo pads going for $34 with free shipping. From what the sellers say these are brand new (the box even says Windows 7 compatible) and Buffalo is a legit company not just some random bootleg people (http://www.buffalotech.com). But I'd like to get an opinion from someone who actually owns one of these pads... I just wanna know if it feels anywhere close to what a real SNES pad feels like and how durable it is.

Here's some pics.
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Re: Buffalo SNES usb pad, who has one and is it any good?

Post by Johan_H »

I've never touched one of those, but would like to tell you that a good original SNES controller + adapter doesn't have to cost you more than $34. At least it didn't for me.
fabian
Rookie

Post by fabian »

PenutButtaChikn wrote:But I'd like to get an opinion from someone who actually owns one of these pads... I just wanna know if it feels anywhere close to what a real SNES pad feels like and how durable it is.
I just got mine yesterday - bought it on ebay for around 20EUR from a HK retailer and had to wait three weeks for delivery.

It has been quite some time since I held an original controller in my hands, but from memory I can tell that the Buffalo just feels like the real thing. It feels very light (around 100 Gram maybe), though, and the buttons are a tiny bit more stiff than I remember, but one gets used to it. I played Super Mario World with my wife for hours and we couldn't tell a difference between the Buffalo one and the original controller. I have no use for the "Turbo" and "Clear" buttons, though.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I have a pretty good feeling that Buffalo did not make that controller, but their branding was just used. Anyway, trademark infringement aside, if it's a decent controller then that's good. The stuffness will probably loosen up, but overall, it may not wear well. It may quickly get loose/mushy.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
fabian
Rookie

Post by fabian »

paulguy wrote:The stuffness will probably loosen up, but overall, it may not wear well. It may quickly get loose/mushy.
Maybe, maybe not... so?
Gonzo
Regular

Post by Gonzo »

fabian wrote:
paulguy wrote:The stuffness will probably loosen up, but overall, it may not wear well. It may quickly get loose/mushy.
Maybe, maybe not... so?
Then maybe it's better to go with a controller you know will last the distance(as opposed to one that theoretically will fail within a few months of purchase), like an original snes controller with a usb adapter. Which is a cheaper option to boot.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

Gonzo wrote:
fabian wrote:
Maybe, maybe not... so?
Then maybe it's better to go with a controller you know will last the distance(as opposed to one that theoretically will fail within a few months of purchase), like an original snes controller with a usb adapter. Which is a cheaper option to boot.
Also, the adapter opens up a swath of alternatives, like an AsciiPad or a Super Advantage.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
fabian
Rookie

Post by fabian »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Also, the adapter opens up a swath of alternatives, like an AsciiPad or a Super Advantage.
Sure, but in the end, for the 20EUR that it cost me, I'd buy it again and recommend it anytime. Although I also doubt that it's made by Buffalo, but the overall quality is decent enough.