Key config, everything gets set to 8DH?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

harahune

Key config, everything gets set to 8DH?

Post by harahune »

I'm not using any game pads, just the keyboard and mouse. When I try to set the keyboard input in ZSNES, it either freezes when I hit Set Keys or everything gets set to 8DH, like the keyboard is inputting the key itself about once a second. Nothing shows up in notepad or anything when I try to type, though I have noticed some other games act strangely.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. I have the track pad disabled since I'm using an external mouse, a Logitech G5.

Any ideas what this could be? I've already done malware, virus, trojan, etc scans and nothing came up.

EDIT:

I just read these two threads that had the exact same problem.

http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12420
http://board.zsnes.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13460

However, I don't use any game pad, I've updated my keyboard drivers, and disabling all security software doesn't fix it.
pakopako

Re: Key config, everything gets set to 8DH?

Post by pakopako »

Hey, someone else who's in the exact same position. (And yet another)

It might just be the DELL Inspiron 1501 since all these threads (the two here and the one on MajorGeeks) have that in common.

I've tried everything myself; I boot up into safe mode, I boot up into an alternate OS (Windows Vista, XP, 2000) on the same drive... I am beginning to think this is a hardware malfunction. How can I tell? I try the (hold) Alt+Tab program bar. I try Previewing a screen-saver. Heck, I open a new program (Notepad) and the focus is still on the old program (Notepad opens up, but its window is behind ZSNES and the active window is still ZSNES). All the time, they get interrupted by something. I presume 8DH at work.

The best solution I've ever tried was to use a bootCD and load yet another OS (Linux), remove the PageFile.sys for Windows (a hidden, read-only system file located in the root directory) and reboot into Windows. Sometimes this gets results, sometimes not.

Again, the more and more often this happens, the more I think of this as a hardware glitch, though to no fault of the keyboard. (I disconnected mine, rebooted, and the same error persists in ZSNES and the screen-saver.)
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I think I've heard of some laptops doing this, being some kind of signaling to one of the Dell-specific background processes about something like power or something like that, I'm not entirely sure. Maybe you could catch the key with some macro writing software like autohotkey, and possibly it could be filtered out?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
pakopako

Post by pakopako »

Yup. Laptop specific hardware issue. Possibly switching to AC only or battery only for awhile and hope the issue goes away sooner rather than later (it will go away on its own eventually).

Ironically, the keyboard itself died two nights ago after I posted (most of the qwerty row -- gah!). I am now in the hunt for a new keyboard... or better yet, new laptop.