ZSNES commands bound to gamepad auto-turbo?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

PC-48

ZSNES commands bound to gamepad auto-turbo?

Post by PC-48 »

Hi, I googled around for this problem and looked through the forums but it's a bit difficult to describe.

I have a Logitech wireless USB gamepad, and When I bind a ZSNES non-game key such as rewind or save state to a gamepad button, it will auto-repeat almost like turbo is on. It isn't, obviously, as game keys like A, B, L, R etc. do not act like turbo buttons in game. But for example, when I rewind with a gamepad button, it rewinds 10 to 20 times before I can even let go of the button. If I hold the button down for even a full second, it goes through all 99 rewind states. Same with saving, loading, and toggling Fast Forward.

As I said I've googled, searched through the first few pages of this board and looked through the config files for anything related to this but can't find anything. Any help would be appreciated.
kode54
Zealot

Re: ZSNES commands bound to gamepad auto-turbo?

Post by kode54 »

Known GUI bug. The only workaround at this time is to use JoyToKey or something similar to bind the keys you want to the keyboard, then bind the key in ZSNES.
PC-48

Post by PC-48 »

Yeah that's what I ended up doing using the Logitech Gaming Software and it works now.
Thank you.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:Known feature.
Fixed.

Seriously, that was done on purpose.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

It should have a repeat delay like they keyboard does.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:It should have a repeat delay like they keyboard does.
Nope, that's what keyboard keys are for.

It was a feature request that was granted a damn long time ago. If we "fix" it, there'll be about as many people complaining about how it doesn't work anymore like they want it to (aka "how it should").
皆黙って俺について来い!!

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

Well, there should be an option per action bound, then. Or the handling should be changed specific to actions which are unlikely to be repeated at 30Hz the instant the game controller button is pressed, such as rewind, advance save state slot, etc. People probably don't intend to fire off those actions at an uncontrollable rate.

Others such as hold to fast forward should remain as they are. (Rewind could also be hold to rewind, in the unlikely event that rewind is ever supplemented with an optional real-time reverse with logged controller input replay. Not terribly hard, just requires a save state every second or so just like rewind already has, and then play back each state and input log into a buffer and gradually play it backwards. Sounds like a fun thing to implement some time after the 2.0 release.)
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

kode54 wrote:Not terribly hard, just requires a save state every second or so just like rewind already has, and then play back each state and input log into a buffer and gradually play it backwards.
I'd rather go with an actually good way to implement it and leave that one to the nes doods.

that's all there is to say about that particular feature ;)
皆黙って俺について来い!!