Mayflash's -Wireless- Wii Classic Controler USB Adapter.

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

I_am_dumb
Hazed

Mayflash's -Wireless- Wii Classic Controler USB Adapter.

Post by I_am_dumb »

I just got one and it works incredibly well...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayflash-Wirele ... 415f8591ac
Last edited by I_am_dumb on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
kode54
Zealot

Re: Mayflash's -Wireless- Wii Classic Controler USB Adapter.

Post by kode54 »

lol
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

i feel like a bluetooth dongle and a wiimote might have been easier.

but i've never looked into this stuff. wired X360 for me. although i don't use it for emulation. d-pad does suck hard.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

sweener2001 wrote:i feel like a bluetooth dongle and a wiimote might have been easier.

but i've never looked into this stuff. wired X360 for me. although i don't use it for emulation. d-pad does suck hard.
I use a Saitek P880(still going strong!) or a wired XBox pad variant approach.
By variant, I mean I've got a Horipad EX2 that adds the option of 3/3 face layout(LB and RB are dual-mapped as both shoulder and face buttons) and a d-pad that doesn't suck.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
DirectInput represents all bits, not just powers of 2 in an axis.
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Yeah this doesn't offer a whole lot over the wiimote+bluetooth solution, especially when most people with classic controllers have wiimotes, and bluetooth idongles are cheap and a standard protocol.

The wired mayflash adapter actually provides a useful, practical solution, since the classic controller will be wired to something either way.

I suppose if this is drastically cheaper than a wiimote (probably not cheaper than some of the knockoffs, especially if you can't get free shipping.), then it'd have a use.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

If I'm not mistaken, it DOES bypass the extra steps necessary to get Wii peripherals reading as gamepads.
Generic HID gamepad is automatic, Bluetooth Wii peripheral isn't.
And if you don't have a Bluetooth transceiver on your PC already, this is definitely the simpler device to buy.

Now, if the control box doesn't show as a HID gamepad and you still need GlovePIE or some such, I agree there's no point and just get a Bluetoooth dongle.
The description presented is a tad ... uninspiring of faith, we'll say.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
You have your 2s, 4s, 8s, 16s, 32s, 64s, and 128s(crash course in binary counting!). But no 1s.
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:Yes, I'm sure your e-mail was what prompted them, and they were not already hard at work on the device.
Hi again, buzzkill Gil.
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r243 ... mail_2.png

And to answer the question, the adapter is in fact, USB HID compliant...
And considering that this adapter works with Joy2Key (I barely had to change much in the profiles I had set up for the wired adapter), doesn't need a Bluetooth connection, doesn't need Glovepie scripts or pay software like Blue Soleil, and doesn't need a Wiimote and the fact that at present, you can purchase one of these adapters for about $18 w/ free s&h on Ebay (the price may be subject to change), I would like to think that it is the much cheaper and less troublesome option...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mayflash-Wirele ... 415f8591ac

Gil_Hamilton wrote:The description presented is a tad ... uninspiring of faith, we'll say.
The video which I had initially posted got a "lol."
So I took that as a "this is stupid / too much"
and replaced it with just an image instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjLI3rNkzk
Last edited by I_am_dumb on Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

nice.

i'm currently loving the fact that motioninjoy finally got their drivers signed so it works in win x64 without jumping through hoops - i can just bring a ds3 + cable instead of ds2 + usb adapter around with me.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:Yes, I'm sure your e-mail was what prompted them, and they were not already hard at work on the device.
Hi again, buzzkill Gil.
That's awesome.
I'mma start using that as my name.
And to answer the question, the adapter is in fact, USB HID compliant...
Hooray!
Gil_Hamilton wrote:The description presented is a tad ... uninspiring of faith, we'll say.
The video which I had initially posted got a "lol."
So I took that as a "this is stupid / too much"
and replaced it with just an image instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VjLI3rNkzk
I was referring to the eBay reseller's description, actually.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
kode54
Zealot

Post by kode54 »

"lol" was for a wireless adapter for a controller that has a meter long cable attached to it.
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Whatevz. At least now I can play games from the bed and not worry about accidentally tugging on or someone tripping over the cable without needing a $39.99 Wiimote and Glovepie scripts plus however much a USB Bluetooth dongle is. And the 2.5 feet of cable running through the bottom of the Classic Controller is tiny and barely even a thought when the adapter's sitting by my side or on my chest. If you wanna talk about the irony of "wireless but still has a wire," complain to Nintendo, because they're the ones that made it that way instead of just having the Classic Controller itself connect/sync to the Wii console.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:If you wanna talk about the irony of "wireless but still has a wire," complain to Nintendo, because they're the ones that made it that way instead of just having the Classic Controller itself connect/sync to the Wii console.
Well, Nintendo was arguing from the start that the Wii controller should be the brains, to reduce the cost of accessories.
Obviously, in the Classic Controller's case, they decided to go for the gold and charge full-controller prices anyways.

There's evidence Nintendo went through a notable thought process about that cable, though. There's a perfectly useless clip on the back of the controller with a spring release hook.
I suspect they found the Wii controller to be too front-heavy to be comfortable when mounted to the underside of an SNES controller, or it got in the way of finger tips.
Of course, it's just as likely the controller bracket was deemed too ugly.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

I've seen Nyko's version of that bracket, and indeed it looks ugly and looks like it would weigh the controller down in your hands alot. -- http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/art ... 47-000.jpg -- either way, I'm glad the Classic and Classic Pro were made the way they were, otherwise this adapter wouldn't work... lol.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:I've seen Nyko's version of that bracket, and indeed it looks ugly and looks like it would weigh the controller down in your hands alot. -- http://gearmedia.ign.com/gear/image/art ... 47-000.jpg -- either way, I'm glad the Classic and Classic Pro were made the way they were, otherwise this adapter wouldn't work... lol.
Interesting... Nyko went ahead and made an entire slip-on shell instead of using the clips. Added wings, too.

The clip seriously interests me since the final manufactured version has the entire mechanism. They didn't pull the clip and put a plug in the eject port, or even just yank the spring out. Given they apparently never intended to use it, it's an absurd extra manufacturing cost.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

There might be some weird third party things that use it to clip on to, maybe? I don't know. They might just leave it there for the sake of odd accessories that might need it. Would be unusual of Nintendo, though. They'd definitely cheapen something if they could, even if it breaks a couple games, let alone random accessories.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I'm not aware of the game-breaking cost-cutting measures you're referring to, unless you mean how the DSi can't play DS Guitar Hero because there's no GBA port. But that's just limited backwards-compatibility.
And they're hardly the only company that makes revisions to reduce costs. There's not a single console that's lasted more than a year that HASN'T undergone revisions.

And the clip should've been removed BEFORE the first run shipped. No third-party accessories using it at that point.
And again, it's unusual for ANY company to leave it in unless they genuinely thought they were going to use it.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

I thought there were more additions than that for DS. I'm pretty sure there was some kind of rumble cartridge, maybe a few other random things. Homebrew got hurt a bit more, since a lot of them rely on RAM expansion but Nintendo would really rather that stuff was broken. I'm not really crapping on Nintendo for being the only one who does that (they aren't), but for doing just another company that cuts features and whatnot for the sake of cost cutting. They've been getting on my nerves lately overall, I suppose.

I still imagine, of all the random shit people have put out as far as wii accessories go, someone has made use of that. As for it not being removed originally, probably just oversight, or they planned to put out the classic controller, then the wiimote mount later on, then just decided not to, then possibly more oversight or just wanted to make sure whatever random crap may have made use of it still could use it in an unusual bit of being reasonable and not making all decisions solely around what'll make the most money.
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

paulguy wrote:I thought there were more additions than that for DS. I'm pretty sure there was some kind of rumble cartridge, maybe a few other random things.
Rumble pack, spinner knob, Guitar Hero grip, an optical mouse(I don't know why).
Plus the web browser RAM pack.
Guitar Hero grip and RAM pack affect compatibility. DSi cannot play the Guitar Hero games, nor use the Opera card(but it has a built-in browser, so moot point).
I suppose the optical mouse does too, but it's for a japanese-exclusive game that sounds dumb as hell anyways, just because it uses the DS as a giant awkwardly-shaped mouse.

But again, DSi is a new system, not a revision. I never expect perfect backwards-compatibility.
Homebrew got hurt a bit more, since a lot of them rely on RAM expansion but Nintendo would really rather that stuff was broken. I'm not really crapping on Nintendo for being the only one who does that (they aren't), but for doing just another company that cuts features and whatnot for the sake of cost cutting. They've been getting on my nerves lately overall, I suppose.
They didn't cut features to save costs on the DS family of systems. A DSLite can do everything a DS can do.
A DSi has four times more RAM and a 2x faster processor and a shitty cellphone camera(whoopie.). It is a different system, albeit not a particularly impressive one. It was also basically stillborn, so there's damn near no games for it, but that's another story.

I still imagine, of all the random shit people have put out as far as wii accessories go, someone has made use of that. As for it not being removed originally, probably just oversight, or they planned to put out the classic controller, then the wiimote mount later on, then just decided not to, then possibly more oversight or just wanted to make sure whatever random crap may have made use of it still could use it in an unusual bit of being reasonable and not making all decisions solely around what'll make the most money.
Oversight seems most likely. I would assume the clip was intended to be packed in WITH the Classic Controller, and they didn't change the design when they decided the clip was a bad idea.
Once it was out, I imagine retooling the line became more expensive than placing a spring and a plastic sled into the pad.

And I fail to see what being reasonable has to do with including a useless clip.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:And again, it's unusual for ANY company to leave it in unless they genuinely thought they were going to use it.
Like the analog slider L and R buttons that I don't think any games actually ever used, cemented by the fact they were omitted from the Classic Pro? Why use those in the first place, unless they had bigger plans for the CC besides just being a peripheral for the Virtual Console.
grinvader
ZSNES Shake Shake Prinny

Post by grinvader »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:I suspect they found the Wii controller to be too front-heavy to be comfortable when mounted to the underside of an SNES controller, or it got in the way of finger tips.

Of course, it's just as likely the controller bracket was deemed too ugly.
That, or it looked too much like a p◯n◯s. Making kids play wii virtual console games with a bulky white dick. Good PR get.
Gil_Hamilton wrote:There's not a single console that's lasted more than a year that HASN'T undergone revisions.
...PAL SNES. No revisions. No issues.
皆黙って俺について来い!!

Code: Select all

<jmr> bsnes has the most accurate wiki page but it takes forever to load (or something)
Pantheon: Gideon Zhi | CaitSith2 | Nach | kode54
sweener2001
Inmate

Post by sweener2001 »

Gil_Hamilton wrote:
sweener2001 wrote:i feel like a bluetooth dongle and a wiimote might have been easier.

By variant, I mean I've got a Horipad EX2 that adds the option of 3/3 face layout(LB and RB are dual-mapped as both shoulder and face buttons) and a d-pad that doesn't suck.
have you used the 360 pad with the fancy new d-pad? i'm curious to know how the d-pads in your hori and this stack up.
[img]http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c128/sweener2001/StewieSIGPIC.png[/img]
Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:And again, it's unusual for ANY company to leave it in unless they genuinely thought they were going to use it.
Like the analog slider L and R buttons that I don't think any games actually ever used, cemented by the fact they were omitted from the Classic Pro? Why use those in the first place, unless they had bigger plans for the CC besides just being a peripheral for the Virtual Console.
The Classic Pro makes L and R digital?
*runs to check*
Huh, it does appear to. They have that sort of spongy bottoming-out that PS2/3 buttons do, so I wonder if they might be pressure-sensitive still... but I'm not taking it apart to check. :P

But yeah, I think they expected more GC software rolling over to Wii, and more games to REQUIRE the CC.

sweener2001 wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:

have you used the 360 pad with the fancy new d-pad? i'm curious to know how the d-pads in your hori and this stack up.
Nope, can't say I have. I hold very little faith that adding more parts and complexity will make it better.
Ask me, it's another example of listening to what customers want and not evaluating the complaints to determine what they MEAN.

It was never ABOUT cross pad VS circle pad. It was about the pad being loose and imprecise and a bunch of idiots assuming that was because it was a circle pad. But MS listened and gave them the option of a cross pad. And they were thanked heartily for this, while the rest of us shook our heads and wondered what this horror of over-engineering did to the mechanical tolerances that were actually CAUSING the problems in the first place.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
I_am_dumb
Hazed

Post by I_am_dumb »

Anyone who's ever taken apart an SNES pad or a Classic Controller before has seen that it's just a cross piece (with a little thin bit of circle that hides under the face of the pad) on a center nub and with little concave indents underneath each of the directions for the rubber bits to fit into. PS dpad has the same cross piece, but instead of the indents it has little "plus" shaped pegs that hit the rubber bits when you press a direction. Xbox's Dpad is some kind of weird rocker switch on two pegs that then screws into an extra base and -that- is what hits the rubber contacts, making it rather inaccurate... so unless the new "rotate to raise" Dpad is actually made so that -just- that inner cross part is what tilts on its axis and hits the internal rubber switches individually (or two at a time when doing diags), it's still going to suck.

Gil_Hamilton
Buzzkill Gil

Post by Gil_Hamilton »

I_am_dumb wrote:Xbox's Dpad is some kind of weird rocker switch on two pegs that then screws into an extra base and -that- is what hits the rubber contacts, making it rather inaccurate... so unless the new "rotate to raise" Dpad is actually made so that -just- that inner cross part is what tilts on its axis and hits the internal rubber switches individually (or two at a time when doing diags), it's still going to suck.
Except it's rather well-known that swapping the hard plastic part of the 360 d-pad for the one off an XBox Controller S(which uses an almost-identical pad construction, and is one of the more precise pads around), or adding a shim under the existing one(see: pringles mod) makes the pad FAR more usable. Therefore, the problem is not in the fundamental design, but MS's specific implementation of that design.

You're not looking at this from a mechanical perspective, just the same "what look different" approach that generates the popular internet insistence that the problem is the circular appearance instead of the cross look. That's a perfectly acceptable design, and one I've seen used to great effect on other controllers.
It's just not built with the right mechanical tolerances for the installation.

Nonetheless, the new transforming d-pad necessitates an entirely new mechanical design due to the pile of moving parts.
I am INTENSELY skeptical that it's an improvement over ANYTHING. Even if it is(as I've not used one, I can't say for certain), I am ALSO skeptical about it's durability. It's an absurdly complex d-button.
Squall_Leonhart wrote:
KHDownloads
Johan_H
Starzinger Addict

Post by Johan_H »

grinvader wrote:
Gil_Hamilton wrote:There's not a single console that's lasted more than a year that HASN'T undergone revisions.
...PAL SNES. No revisions. No issues.
But there was at least one revision of the PAL SNES hardware. (See this)
Unless revision here means something other than what I think, in which case bleh