Controller Movement not smooth. Turbo like effect?

Gamepad acting up? Keyboard not responding properly? Can't get that other user to work? Read and post about it here.

Moderator: ZSNES Mods

Brian5346

Controller Movement not smooth. Turbo like effect?

Post by Brian5346 »

Hi there,

I don't think this is a ZSNES specific problem, but perhaps you can help.

I recently starting getting back in to Emulation and I'm using ZSNES to play games.

I also bought a Mayflash SNES usb controller adapter. I had problems using this on my Win 7 machine, so I gave up and tried it with my laptop which runs Vista.

It works, however when I started playing, the movement in games was kind of weird and juddering.

I checked the game pad settings in windows, and the buttons and D-pad all fire in a turbo like fashion. This is not a big problem with the controller buttons that I've noticed yet. But when trying to move with the d-pad it's a pain, it resets to centre and then the direction as you hold it down, meaning you move in small fast increments.

Here is a flash video of what I mean. I held down the right, up and a couple of buttons (B and A i think) each for a few seconds. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5302228/Control ... r.swf.html

I don't really know how to fix it. Can anyone help?

Thanks
Last edited by Brian5346 on Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulguy
Zealot

Re: Controller Movement not smooth. Turbo like effect?

Post by paulguy »

These adapters sometimes have button combinations that enable certain features. Have you tried disconnecting it for a few seconds, then while holding no buttons on the gamepad at all, plugging it back in?
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
Brian5346

Post by Brian5346 »

I disconnected the adapter and plugging back in making sure I was pressing nothing, unfortunately I still have the same problem. I also tried the other controller port (its a 2 port adapter) but its the same again.
odditude
Official tech support dood

Post by odditude »

Make sure you're using config->input, not misc->key combos.
Why yes, my shift key *IS* broken.
Brian5346

Post by Brian5346 »

I am using config->input.

I can configure it fine, it's just how it acts with button presses. It acts that way when plugged in, not just through ZSNES.
paulguy
Zealot

Post by paulguy »

Have any other gamepads to try?

EDIT: Another thing to maybe try... have you rebooted since trying? I had issues with stuff like that happening with a USB mouse. Some device sharing the IRQ kept asserting the IRQ line and not letting it go. The USB driver would give up the IRQ and I guess fall back on some other method, but it only let like, a couple updates through per second. Rebooting fixed it, until it would happen again.
Last edited by paulguy on Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Maybe these people were born without that part of their brain that lets you try different things to see if they work better. --Retsupurae
odditude

Post by odditude »

out of curiosity, is the adapter connected directly to the machine or through a hub? are there any other USB devices being used (including an internal webcam if your laptop has one)?
Brian5346

Post by Brian5346 »

I do have a wired Xbox360 pad, which works fine.

I have tried rebooting a couple of times and it still happens.

I'ts connected directly to the laptop, there is an internal webcam in the laptop, but otherwise no other USB devices are being used.
Brian5346

Post by Brian5346 »

I have just tried it on my brothers Win 7 desktop. It works fine.

My windows 7 machine, only one button works. My Vista laptop, the buttons don't fire properly. But on his computer it's fine.

At least now I know its not a fault with the adapter.
odditude

Post by odditude »

do you have any software running that handles gamepad input (like Joy2Key)?
Brian5346

Post by Brian5346 »

Nope, no other software.